New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 527 rifle in 22hornet?
 Login/Join

<squirrel skinner>
posted
Has any body out there shot a CZ537 in 22Hornet?
how accurate are they? how do they feel, trigger, action? any dislikes about the rifle?
skinner

<CatShooter>
posted
Squirrel...

I have one (The number is 527). It's the "American Deluxe". Beau-tee-ful wood, very nice high gloss bluing. The trigger is an adjustable single set, and both the main and the set are adjustable.

The only thing I did to it was to float the barrel.

13.5 gr of "Lil Gun" and a 40gr V-Max seated to the lands gives 1/2" all day long.

CatShooter

[ 03-08-2003, 08:39: Message edited by: CatShooter ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Catshooter,

Do you single load for your 527? I have the same gun...not deluxe, and find the 40 v-max too long to fit the mag unless bullets are seated below the ogive. What other bullets have you tried?

Ian

Posts: 39 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon Territory | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I too have a 527 American, standard. I really like the gun, perfect dimensions, easy to carry and handles like a dream. The only complaint thus far is the trigger, seems to have too much creep. i will remove the action and adjust everything (tension, overtravel etc. i have been using remington factory 45 gr. hp thus far and typically average 3/4 shots within .75" and a 4th/5th shot that opens up to 1.25~1.5". I am just in process of starting to reload and hope groups improve. I too am curious about the seating issue with 40 gr. bt/vmax. have just got 40gr sierra nd 35gr vmax to work up loads.

Mirage

<Reloader66>
posted
I have the 527 CZ in 22 Hornet but don't like the clip feed design. The clip sticks down below the rifle and is a poor design. The barrel is bit to light for my liking, but the rifle does group very well for a barrel that only is .580 in diameter. I like the single set trigger that comes with this rifle. Mine has a crisp clean let off and is fully adjustable. The 22 Hornet shoots fine but I have decided to have it rechambered to the 221 fireball cartridge and have the clip cut to a flush fit to the stock. Later when the barrel on this rifle gets enough rounds through it I will replace the factory supplied barrel with a heavier weight barrel. I beleive the CZ has a metric thread action and the gun smith doing any work on the action and barrel must know that fact.

I remain committed to buying American made rifles, but the CZ brand of rifles are fine grouping rifles. They are a bit rough in finish with some tool marks, have fine shooting barrels and fine adjustable triggers. Some of the early CZ rifles have poor stock designs and need redesigned stock foreends. I own a 308 CZ with a heavy barrel that is one tight grouping rifle but has a lousy fore end stock design. The wood supporting the barrel is much to thin with little wood to ride the bags very well. I have fired some very impressive groups with REL-15 powder using 155 and 165 grain bullets. I would grade the CZ a 5 in finish and an 8 in accuracy. The wood used to stock the rifle is to soft and dent very easy. I also would rather see the action not milled to use CZ mounts or special millet mounts. I like rifle actions drilled and tapped for any style mount I care to install. The Ruger rifle is also milled for Ruger mounts only and that is one reason among others I will not own a ruger rifle. With some minor design changes the CZ could be one fine well balanced good shooting rifle.

<BrianT>
posted
You can take the filler out of the clip and shave off .100". and add a little piece of metal on the front of the follower, so you can clip feed longer seating depth shells.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a cz 527 american and I love it. it's my spotlighting fox whistling rifle.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been playing with a CZ Hornet a little over a year now. I love everything about it. The trigger in both set and un-set was fine for me. I did bed the barrel/action before firing it though.

I too was concerned about the loaded ammo being too long for the magazine and shaved some plastic off the straight side of the plastic mag. filler. The cases fit, but I had feeding problem when I loaded more than three rounds in the magazine. I must not have got the angle of the cut right.

I bought a new magazine and seated the bullets just deep enough so the 35 grain V-Max would fit in the unaltered mag. The over-all length changed from 1.755 to 1.745". Accuracy actually improved. On calm days, the rifle puts five rounds into less than 3/4" at 100 yards with boring regularity. The best group so far has been five shots into .386".

I called CZ USA's gunsmith and told him how and why I butchered the original magazine. He sent me a new plastic spacer (for free!) and now both magazines work without a hitch.

My best load is 13.1 grains of Lil Gun behind the 35 V-Max and sparked by a WSRS. I'm getting an honest 3,000 FPS out of my rifle with this load. For me, the secret to getting the most accuracy out of the Hornet is consistancy and concentricy in the reloading process. I bought dies from three different manufactures to get the set I wanted. I'd be happy to share my loading process/die selection with anyone interested. E-mail me at mchapmanreedley@aol.com if you're interested.

Posts: 101 | Location: Reedley California | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote