New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP with coyotes!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ijust got back in from a night of coyote hunting and im relativley new at this,but i was hunting a field surronded by thick woods and got 5 or 6 to respond when i used my howler (johnny stewart preymaster) but when i tried my cottontail squeeler they shut up and wouldnt come in ,then i played the howler and again and they responded!...is there any way i can get these guys to come in??

posted Hide Post
well i may not be the best guy for advice.I'm new to this to.Did you try a challenge howl?thats what i would of done but its a good plan to try to sound like a younger male from what i have heard if you sound to much like a big old male the younger ones my not come in.I watched a video a week ago where the guys had that happen to them they just kept switching to diffrent sounds after awhile they did get a female to come in to a pup disstress call hope this helps good luck

Posts: 4 | Location: Saskatoon,Sask,Canada | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
try calling in the day time! then maybe you can see them! I bet money they are sneaking in and windin' you!

Posts: 37 | Location: N texas | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Guess on this one. I only hunt daytimes, and do well enough that I have not been tempted to hunt at night.
Fred

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we have been having the same problem here. I believe it comes from having to many guys using a rabbit call and they have become wise to it. so far at least we've been having best success with a woodpecker distress call.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i agree with butchloc the bird calls seem to work better in areas with pressure to many rabbits dying with humans at the other end.