THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Blue Dot Notes.. Cooler Barrels!!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Dot Notes.. Cooler Barrels!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Blue Dot Notes : COOLER Barrels!

Recently I have been testing several other powders for reduced loads for varminting in the 223.

Some of the powders tested have been

SR 4759
Unique
Tite Group
700 X
800 X
SR 4756

Even with all the above powders usually having a less charge at max, that Blue Dot,
An important thing I have noted,( being a varmint shooter … translating into high volume shooting in short periods of time ).. is that ALL the above powders STILL heat up the rifle’s barrel at a much quicker rate that Blue Dot does.

Another important thing is that, I have also noted, that these powders also take much longer for a barrel, (once heated ) to cool down!

Not being a chemist, I don’t know what they are putting in Blue Dot to also make it burn evidently much cooler than other powders.

The above powders are once again, being tested to stretch out the shooter’s budget.
But I thought it was highly important to note that Blue Dot is seeming to burn much cooler.. and in a varmint rifle for high volume shooting, this is a very important feature!
beer
Cheers
seafire
BOOM

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
Seafire I am starting to think you are a secret agent for Allient LOL animal. Well you have a convert. I just loaded some 180 gn XTP's for my .44 mag to use tomorrow for IHMSA silouettes (SP?). Should knock the hell out of the chickens with 17.3gns moving 180's over my Uncle's Chrono at an average of 1580 fps. Seems to burn a little dirty in the wheel gun though. Thanks for the research. I have been saving for a Cooper in 22-250AI. But my buddy the manager at my local gunhaunt beat a guy to death on a minty Model 21. So my Cooper fund is going to buy a .204 Ruger Cooper instead (Too cheap to pass up you know (GUNBUYITIS)) I am sure you have some .204 loads for the Blue Dot as well. Having the same powser for the wheel gun and the Cooper would be convenient. LOL K2

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote