New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coyotes at night
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wondering if anyone uses a night vision scope to hunt coyotes at night? If you do, what are your likes or dislikes about the scopes. What kind are you using etc?
Mike

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
im in australia a we use a night vision scope (not a NV rifle scope tho) to hunt fox's. I cant rember the exact details on it but all i know is its a gen 1 and it needs a fairly well lit night to work well so we use a infra red filter on the spot light to help the NV scope see at night.

We mostly use the scope to look out for the eyes in the distance with out disturbing the fox and then use the laser rangefinder in my rifle scope to get a distance and then drop them anywhere out to 300 yards at night using a .223 with 40 grain BT's

Posts: 3 | Location: australia | Registered: 22 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i use a 3rd gen scope for spotting. works well out to about 300yds. a 3rd gen weapons sight will set you back about 6000 and less that 3rd gen is all but useless. also a note on illuminators - many animals can see infrared.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
I don't, but a friend of mine came out with me one night with night vision. Here's what I thought:

Some advantages:
1. No spotlight to get the attention of locals.
2. Light - No heavy spotlight batteries to lug around.
3. Sometimes spotlights splash the light back at you - no problem with the night vision.

Some disadvantages:
1. No good reflection of eyeballs from what I saw. This is the best way to see an incoming coyote travelling through thick brush.
2. Ever look through night vision for extended periods? Makes my eyes sore.
3. Very expensive. I would highly recommend looking at a LightForce spotlight first (they are expensive for a spotlight, but worth every penny in my opinion. They throw a tight red, not pink, beam that you could easily use out to 200 yards or more).

Once the deer season is over and the coyotes come easier then there is usually snow down where I hunt. This makes it pretty easy to see coyotes without a spotlight, or at least not need the spotlight once I see them. I simply have my 6.5-20 power scope turned down to the lowest power and find that I can see the dog plainly. Double that on a clear, full moon night.

I'd be interested in trying a high quality IR scope, but not the pricetag.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I've been thinking of getting one, and I still might, but will give it more consideration now. maybe I'll check into a lighted recticle scope along with a red spotlight.

"An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a slave", Ceasar

Posts: 211 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Give the Lightforce a try; I haven't found the need for lighted reticle with one. If you plan to use the scope mounted light you may want the try the 140. I have a 170 and it is pretty heavy mounted on the rifle.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where can I find the Lightforce spotlight? I have searched all kinds of web sites with no success.

Thanks.

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Tufflights and All Predator Calls both handle Lightforce and both are great to do business with:

Lightforce Lights

Lightforce Lights & More

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i use a 3rd gen scope for spotting. works well out to about 300yds. a 3rd gen weapons sight will set you back about 6000 and less that 3rd gen is all but useless. also a note on illuminators - many animals can see infrared.

I also haven't found Gen I particularly useful. Gen I has such poor resolution you have to be in close to be sure what your shooting at. I can do almost as well with my Swarovski on half-moon night. No experience with Gen II but I was thinking about a Gen III one day. Thanks for the input.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tufflights and All Predator Calls both handle Lightforce and both are great to do business with:

Lightforce Lights
Lightforce Lights & More

Thanks hm1996

RC

Repeal the Hughes Amendment.

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote