Find
Notify
Tools

Harris Bipods
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted
Sounds like the Harris (or Shooters Ridge knockoffs) bipods are a solid choice. I realize they mount to the sling studs but have never actually used one up close. For those who own them do they scratch up the stock?

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No. But they change the point of impact for rifles not designed with a second front lug.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
No. But they change the point of impact for rifles not designed with a second front lug.

I haven't found that at all when I use them, and I use them quite a bit at the range, but take them off to use in the field..

I am not noticing point of impact differences at all...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have bipods on most of my varmint rifles.
I am a big fan of the Harris bipods. At times I have tried to save a few dollars and purchased other brands. The Harris brand is well worth the extra money. Any other brand that I have tried I find to be weak , wobbly , or just plain junk. It has taken me several purchases to learn this lesson, I purchase a cheep bipod, use it and get frustrated, then either give it away or trade it off to a new home for less than half of what I paid then buy a Harris.

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you noticed the new Harris changes? Don't know how new, maybe in past 2 years but now extension legs are notched, no more sliding up and down and removal from stock is now with a tension knob, so don't need to carry a quarter anymore. I have a very early bipod way before Harris, (Krust??) cast aluminum V-leg support with a thick rubber band on top....... r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
I have always heard good things about them but "Buliwyf" was the only person that commented on whether or not the do any damage to the stock.

Have the rest of you had similar results, No damage to the stock?

thx

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
had one for 15 years and no problems yet. the pads on them protect the stock pretty good and no change of impact for me.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
If your rifle is bedded & barrel free floated you can use a bipod w/o it affecting accuracy.Midwayusa has had sales on Harris bipods.Both of my Sako rifles were bedded so I'll use my bipod.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the difference between sand bags and the bi-pod is that when its on the bi-pod it shoots a half MOA lower, and about quater MOA larger in group size.

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my experience-

I sight the rifle in with the bipod attached.

Don't buy a clone (done it), buy a Harris.

They haven't marred the finish on my rifles.

I attach a sling on mine.

I'd rather have one on the rifle than not.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bipod has rubber strips on it where the bipod touches the stock. If you do not trust the rubber to keep from damaging the stock you can add leather between the stock and bipod base.
If your barrel is free floated there will be no impact difference

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
All five of mine have Harris on them, & aS26 tall rig goes stalking with me, no marks on any! wave

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote