Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 527 VARMIT???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
I am looking for a new 223, and want the best bang for the buck. I want a no nonsense out of the box shooter and want to keep the wieght 8#'s or less. I also expect 3/4-1 moa. I do reload for other guns but will prolly shoot up all the cheap factory 223 ammo. With the CZ you get a heavier barreled gun without so much of a wieght penality. The only thing I really don't like is the backward saftey. My question is does anyone have one of these, how do you like it. and most of all how does it shoot??? I am also considering the savage 10fp with a 20" barrel.

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bought one in .17 Remington a while back and the little bugger is scary accurate, like nearly one hole if I do my part . The set trigger is great for shooting paper and in my view the barrel weight/contour is just perfect for the small cartridges ,good and stiff , holds good , but still pretty handy to carry around .

On the negative side , it is not the easiest gun to single load at the bench , it really is handier to feed it from the magazine. Due to the tiny little action , it is tough for a guy with big hands and fingers to slip a single round into the chamber , although it can be done .

But I figure the single loading issue is a minor one compared to the other attributes of the rifle . I'd buy another in a heartbeat......and I'd take the CZ any day over the Savage........

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife has one in 22 Hornet. It was 3/4 moa out of the box with my handloads. Her best group (5 rounds) has been just over 1/3 inch @ 100 yards. The trigger is a joy!
Pete

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got A NEW cz 223 527 JUST AS MENTIONED ABOVE. I also have a new Cooper 204 ruger. The CZ is a Hell of a gun and gives the Cooper a run for the money in the accuracy dept. W/o doubt get one (the CZ) QUICK.... Doc Stone.
PS- my set trigger is 9 ozs. and single trigger is 2 lbs.. perfect.. My Cz 223 shoots < 1/2" all day long

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a cz 527 american. about a six pound gun with a barrel as thin as a pencil. its a .223 and will do .25 groups with a 50 grain ballistic tip behind 26.0 grains of RE 15. I LOVE CZ NOW AND PLAN ON GETTING MORE.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 527 Varmint in .223 back in feb. So far it does about 1.5" at 200, 5 shots which is not quite as accurate as my Savage when it used to be a .223 AI but quite acceptable. I really love this rifle though; with the H-S Precision stock it has it is very nice as a walking PD rifle and I'm sure it will be a terrific coyote rifle when the season rolls around. I also like the detachable magazine but I think they could do something more like a double stack and keep the line cleaner along the bottom. I also really enjoy the set trigger and I sometimes find myself trying to set the trigger on other rifles after shooting my CZ. It would be nice to have a stainless action/bbl to avoid all of the corrosion issues. I may have this rifle rechambered to .223 AI to start using my AI brass again. Absolutely great rifle for the money. HTH

Posts: 61 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
so which will most likely be the better shooter, the CZ or the 10fp savage?? I never looked into CZ but a 7.5# heavy barrel rifle would seem pretty handy, I am having a hard time getting past the backward saftey, If I got one and really loved it can this be changed?? Have any of you guys had problems with the saftey, I would most likely be going after yotes I guess I should be checking the saftey anyways before I set up for a stand. what about ring height and bolt clearance with the scope eyepeice, I have heard a few complaints has this been an issue. I do like the fact the CZ has a lot better stock with it

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the Burris medium rings on my CZ with a Weaver V 4x16 and clearance has not been a problem .

When I do some calling with the CZ I think I will just run one into the chamber and leave the bolt handle up until ready to shoot . That's quieter than clicking off any safety anyway , but I think a guy can get used to the backwards safety with a little use of the gun .

I think the CZ would be more likely to feed well than a Savage ,important for a calling gun , but I don't think there's anyway to predict which would be the most accurate . Chances are they would both group very nice......

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in .22 hornet 527 American, nice and light and I get great accuracy. I like all of cz's products.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think "Cummins Cowboy" just answered his own question a few hours ago.He bought(stole?) a mint CZ 527 Varmint .223(HS Presison stock) with a BSA 6-24 Platinum target scope mounted for a whopping $450 on Auction Arms!!

Good for you,CC,I am glad you bought it,because if it went any cheaper than that,I was going to!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
did you think that was a good deal?? I am hopeing it was. The local gun store wanted 649$ new. I figure the rings added into the deal made it worth it. You just can't get a gun with all these features for a better price. I figure the BSA scope will have to go prolly unload it on ebay. I have a weaver v16 waiting to go. I let you guys know how it shoots when I get it set up