New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 Range Report
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I finally got to the range today with my 22-250, and all I can say is wow! It's a Remington VLS Thumbhole; looks like the XR-100 but has a 5 round magazine, which I wanted. It was more than I had originally expected to spend on a rifle. When I had gone to Sportsman's Warehouse, I went to look at the Savage with laminate stock, but was disappointed with how it felt when I held it; it just didn't balance well. Then the guy behind the counter handed me the VLS and it was love at first sight. Or a bad case of gun-lust anyway! But now that I had it sitting in my safe for a couple of weeks, I was anxious to get to the range, so I put an inexpensive Bushness Banner 6-18x50 scope on it (I know, moans and groans...), but I'm impressed with that as well. It's clear and bright, is easy to focus, and changed POI pretty predictably as I was sighting it in.

It was cooler today, only in the 90's, but gusting winds were picking up. It took me four shots to zero it in: The first was 8" high and 1" to the right, and by fourth shot I took out the "x". A couple more rounds after I was confident it was zeroed in at 50 yards, I moved it back to 100. From a zero point at 50, it went about 1 3/4" high at 100, about what I expected. My first three groups at 100 yds were under .5"!! Out of a brand-new rifle, no modifications, an inexpensive scope, and factory ammo!! I'm impressed to say the least! Unfortunately, the weather was not on my side; the winds picked up to 20 mph with erratic gusts, and I couldn't get it to group worth squat after that. Even my .223 wouldn't hold a group using my favorite handloads by that time, so I gave up.

I came away feeling great about this rifle. The trigger is crisp and a little heavier than I prefer, but that should be a relatively easy job to do. It loads and feeds easily, and has one odd thing I've only experienced one other time on an old Rem 700 in 7mm Mag from years ago: After each shot, the barrel "hums" for a second. Kind of like a tuning fork. It's the strangest thing; I've heard of barrel harmonics, but the is the second time I actually heard it. My shooting buddy could hear it too when he fired it. Anybody else ever experience this? I'm not worried about it; it's just kind of odd. As long as it shoots well, I don't care if it plays music! Coyotes this fall better beware; I'm going to be loading some of my own this next week, and also plan on using it for javelina next spring, and I'm looking forward to it!

I'm posting a picture of it from before I had put the scope on it. Forgive me if the picture doesn't show; I'm not familiar with doing it on this site.

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=434050&c=500&z=1"] [/url]

Posts: 119 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: 05 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AZ223: Congratulations on the new fine shooting Remington!
I to, love the Remington laminated thumbhole stock and the fit and feel of its weight and forearm etc!
I have the XR-100's and have often fondled the Rifle you have at the stores.
I think the Sportsmens Warehouse people have an exclusive from Remington on that "uncataloged", stainless, repeater, laminated stock with thumbhole, Varmint weight, Model 700's!
I have never seen them anywhere else anyway.
I bet you can really tune that Rifle up with your handloads!
And as far as hearing barrels vibrate - this is a new one to me - are youmaking fun and an inference that your Rifle is a "hummer"?
I am happy for you and for Remington on this nifty looking and great shooting Varminter!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
AZ223,

Yes, I have experienced what you are talking about.

I had a 22-250 that would "hum" or ring almost like a tuning fork.

I have a 308 right now that will ring occasionally.

With both rifles, when developing loads for them , when I hit that load that made it ring, I found very good accuracy and quit looking. In my experience they don't ring every time, but you can here them most of the time. If I changed the load in any way, I couldn't make it ring.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VG - No, I wasn't making an inference to it being a "hummer", but it sure shoots like one!

I just picked up some new brass, so I'll be reloading some new rounds on Sunday. Got almost a pound of Varget left, and three different bullet sizes to try... Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Az223. Congrats...Man I love those rem thumbhole stock 700's. I have the same gun in .204 Ruger. I adjusted the trigger and floated the barrel. I bought mine at Cabela's. I believe sportsmans was a bit cheaper though.
Never experienced the harmonic ring before. Keep us posted as to how it shoots with some handloads.

Ricky

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricky_arthur:
Az223. Congrats...Man I love those rem thumbhole stock 700's. I have the same gun in .204 Ruger. I adjusted the trigger and floated the barrel. I bought mine at Cabela's. I believe sportsmans was a bit cheaper though.
Never experienced the harmonic ring before. Keep us posted as to how it shoots with some handloads.

Ricky

Just curious - Did you bed the action or just float the barrel by sanding it? I've done that before with good results, and this stock has a high spot at the front like most do. I just don't want to mess it up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I simply sanded off the high spot with some sandpaper wrapped around a 3/4 inch dowel. It was shooting good enough that bedding was unnecisary. It will put 5 shots under 1/2 inch. Thats good enough for me so I left it with the trigger adjustment and floated Barrel. That being said If it is shooting good for you even with longer shot strings don't bother floating it. It took some more load development after floating, as the barrel harmincs were different and I had to tweek the load to get back to small groups. The reason I floated mine was because it was on a serious bind. Not just touching the barrel, but actually pushing it up a noticable amount when the action screws were tightened.

Ricky