New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog fishing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Prairie dogs are mostly active during the daylight hours. Scouting around for a good town of dogs ahead of time will increase you chances for a good day of doggie catching.

Once you have found a good active mound, set your rod and reel a good distance away as prairie dogs are very vigilant for predators. It is recommended that you be at least fifty yards from your prey.

Loosen the drag on your reel and make a good noose on the end. With the loop of your snare in hand, walk slowly toward the active hole. If you hear barking it will be the prairie dogs warning each other of approaching danger. These critters know how to stick together.

Once you get to the mound look for fresh sign and tracks in the sand. Make a loop twice as big as the hole. Prairie dogs are keenly aware of their surroundings so spread some sand over your fishing line to conceal it.

Walk slowly back to your rod and reel and wait for the fun to begin. Once a prairie dog pokes his head out of the hole to check out the area get ready. You want to wait until his front legs are above your fishing line. At that point you set the snare and start reeling in your catch. You will have to guide the scrambling dog around sagebrush, cactus, rocks and other obstacles found on the prairie.

Always remember this rule! The closer they get the meaner they get. Be prepared to render the little beast unconscious. If you cannot reach a net or a doggie whacker, the next best method is what we call 'flailing the dog'. To flail the dog, reel it in until there is three to four feet of fishing line past the last eye on your rod. Set your drag tight so that the line does not release from the reel. Grab the handle of your rod with both hands. With a swinging motion launch the critter into the air, and slam it down at the ground with an attitude. Remember not to let any slack in the line as you may break your line and the prairie dog may take off into the air as if flung from a great slingshot. Repeat this until the little critter is immobilized.
Note: This is not the preferred method as it could be construed as being cruel to the dog, but only after the belly aching laughter subsides and the tears are wiped from the spectator's eyes.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jimmy,

YOU are a Nut!! ( In a good way).

even if this was made up, I could see someone try it.

It would be a funny thing to show those Anti Gun and PETA people. If they take away our firearms, then let them see that, so they will start to try and ban fishing line and shoe laces.

Cheers and Good Prairie Dog Fishing.
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ah yes, a 10 1/2' Tarpon fly blank light tip fly rod w/15lb test.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did that (really) with a california ground squirrel, Just about smoked my diawa reel. finally got him wrapped around a tree and the line broke. I am sure there is a redneck joke about doing this! Try it.

Posts: 227 | Location: Bakersfield Ca. USA | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
What memories that brings back. When growing up on my families ranch in Mt. This was my first method of gopher hunting(age 7 or so). The only difference was that we used baling twine and no fishing pole. The flailing method was always employed and then often folowed by a boot to the head. I am sure that PETA would be in an uproar if they ever witnessed such a thing.

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jimmy, we really need your help in the cat hunting forum! Would that be a 12 wt flyrod you're talking about? For maximum fun I'd suggest a noodle rod with 2#, but you'll need a long leader to take care of abrasion on the rocks and sage.

Dan

Pres., TYGC

www.DoubleHaul.Shooter

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan, only have a couple of cat huntin stories. Will have to see ifn' I can find the picture of the hood of my White Suburban aftermath with a 300 win mag with 125 grn BT's

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh dear! did we scratch the paint?!

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan, Not with the 300 winnie but now "the rest of the story"

The damn neighbor down the way loves those DG kitty's, well I had just bought 2 Brand new vehicles and sure enough they ( DG Kitty's ) claimed the hoods of both as their perch for eyeing prey. at least thats what I assumed.
Morning one: weather was a tad bit foggy but I spot a HUGE orange colored Monster with at least a 14" tail and a coat that was near perfect. I proceed back to my hunting lodge (the house) grab my DG rifle adjust the optic's (10/22) load this baby up and put the cross hairs right on the front shoulder and gentley touch one off, Direct Hit at this moment this SOB decided to do the crawly chicken on my Brand new Vehicle Hood to the tune of 435.00.
Now you know the rest of story and the reason for the 300 winnie
I have another bout my custom classic car and the 12 ga.

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
jimmyd223,

Maybe you can help me out. I actually have tried prairie dog fishing but didn't do very well at it.

I found a real good spot but as soon as I unloaded the boat on the prairie, the rucus scared them down into their holes, and they just wouldn't come back out. And as soon as they went down into their holes, a real wierd thing happened. You know that "peeping" sound they make changed to a kind of "hee hee hee" sound. Never heard anything like it before, I think it's a new breed of dogs.

So anyhow, I was determined to catch something no matter how long it took so I throwed out the anchor and sat there waiting. Well I waited and waited but they just wouldn't come back out again. Never did get any.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I need a depthfinder??

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At least your paint job went down fightin'!

Dan

Pres., TYGC

www.WouldntScratchA.Delorean

one of us
posted Hide Post
When they are not bitin' might want to change bait, might want to try a Dupont Spinner

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great story, reminds me of a similar stunt we used to do when campin out. If your not far from a stream or pond take a good stout fishing pole rigged with 20-30 lb line and a good size lure. We use the jerk bait styles that are long slender with three sets of trebble hooks. Wind around a couple strips of uncooked bacon being sure to get the kooks in it good. Then take that bait and carry it down near the water. Lighten up on the drag and set it to click so it'l wake you up in the night. Now take the fishing pole to bed with ya. During the night ole coon or something will get tangled up in the lure and take off. All that clicking from the drag will surely wake everyone up. Set the hook.... HARD.... start reelin. Aint no ole bass ever fought like this coon gonna. And when you get him reeled in he's had about all this fun he's gonna take. Some one better have a pistol to plug him with or your gonna meet ole coom face to face.

Posts: 85 | Location: Tex | Registered: 29 January 2002Reply With Quote