New
Find
Notify
Tools

sunshades needed or not ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How many of you use or have sunshades on you varmit riggs? Is this something you should get when getting a new scope or something you will never use?

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bill22250
posted Hide Post
I have a shade for each of my scopes that I use for P/Dog hunting. It definitely gives an image with more definition. The more direct sunlight has a tendency to kinda wash out the image. The shade seems to sharpen it up.. enhances the images.

During our P/Dogs trips we will be looking through binoculars and rifle scopes for hours on end. That is when you really can tell the difference. My eyes don't hurt nearly as bad.

But you can tell the difference immediately in bright sunlight.

It does make it hard to use scope covers. I take them off at the end of the day. I can't stand not covering up the lenses after spending a small fortune on optics.

Posts: 37 | Location: Southwestern Ohio | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BossMoss: I have about 8 or 10 sunshades for my Leupolds. I have them in three lengths and usually take them all along when colony Varmint Hunting. I do not want to let to many cats out of my bag of tricks but I always try to set myself up for shooting with the rising or setting sun at my back! I know this is not always possible but I ALWAYS try to make it happen. On those occassions when I am shooting into a direction that the sun is coming from I of course use as long a shade as needed. I do not mind leaving the short ones on the scope while transporting the Rifle but I do not leave the long ones on.
I think they are worth the investment. I have a couple of friends that have made their own. These do not screw in they just go over the bell and attach by various means. These also keep the barrel heat mirage down.
I keep an eye out for sunshades at Gunshows and such. They are surprisingly expensive full retail. I have never bought one retail except for back when they came with the Leupold higher powered scopes.
I say get one and keep it handy. You may need it someday.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote