New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 + 125 Nos BT load ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I looking for advice on the best varmint /accuracy load for my H&R ultra comp 30-06 22" / 1 in 10 twist rifle.I've tried the 110 vmax and it is all over the pie plate at least at max load with two different powders.? When I hit a varmint its devastating, but its a toss up if I'll hit my target [Frown] I'm going to the 125 since I've read that there not enough B.C. for accuracy on the 110. I'd like to use the 110 vmax butI dunno.
MJN

Posts: 27 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 19 April 2003Reply With Quote
<Paul Dustin>
posted
We trid the 110gr and they will not shot out my same thing all over so we went to the 125ge and they work great here is the load I use.
Bullet Remington 125gr PSP
Powder WW748 56gr
Primer CCI BR2
Case Winchester
OAL 3.17
Vel. 3360fps out of a 24" BBL
Best group .467 100yds
Good luck and good hunting

posted Hide Post
I shoot 125 BTs for deer in kentucky. Very effective, its not a varmit bullet as Nosler list them as "hunting" not "varmit" bullets. Compleat pass through on broadside bucks. For varmits you might ought to go with a true "varmit" bullet in that weight. Try the Berger 125 or 135 MEF (match bullet with a bigger hole in it is all it is). Midway sells them. I use Varget in my 1-10 twist '06 with good results. For a short barreled (22') '06, with light bullets, a faster burning powder like Varget or h4895 is best. You'll be amazed how accurate your '06 is with a match/varmit bullet+Varget...I was....tuckybill

Posts: 1 | Location: kentucky | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the '06 I have had good sucess with the following load on deer but found bullet was not getting through under 100 yards,
125 Bal/Tip
53.5 Vit N140.
.6"@100 yards.
Bullet too short to get to lands so set at base of bullet at base of neck.

Cheers Rob T.

Posts: 64 | Location: Merseyside,England | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Dad and I used to shoot a lot of 125 gr Sierras at jack rabbits. We used 55-56 gr of IMR-4064 - but I'd start a little lower and work up to that. I don't know what current manuals call for, but that was a very accurate load...head shots at 100-150 yards were common.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies,
I loaded Nos. 120 Bt grain for my daughters 7mm-08 and it normally cut the ground squirrels in half, no pass through. I would think the 125 gr would be the same, very explosive ?
I would think that 125 would make for wasted meat in a deer.
MJN

Posts: 27 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 19 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just shot a handfull of 110 VMAX last night. I got .75 group at 100yards. I shoot a Win mod. 70, standard Wal-Mart special, with Burris Signature 8-32 scope. My loads are 55.5gr IMR3031, with a heavy crimp, actually squeezed the bullet. I was previously shooting about a 2 inch group previous to the heavy crimp. I don't know the velocity, as I could not get my crono working last night, but they should be around 3500fps. It produced some explosive results on a water filled soda can at 100yds, boy o boy. A 2 liter water filled bottle at 250 yards was just as impressive. I am also shooting the Nosler 125 Bal. Tip. It is equally impressive, about a 1' group so far at 100yds. Still tuning it in though. Good luck, let me know if you need any more details.

Posts: 2 | Location: Great Falls, MT | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best accuracy i have found was listed in the Nosler manual # 4, using RL7 with the 125 BT.

Both my Browning A bolt and my Model 70 winchester shot the load with real tight groups at both 100 and 200 yds.

Much smaller groups than with any other combos.

The 1 in 12 twist in 308s seems to do better with this bullet than the 1 in 10 twist on an '06.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the BT 125 grain for a while with RL12 when it was still available. The precision for such a light bullet was great out of my Blaser BBF95.

One whitetail and several roe deer were killed with immediate effect, without larger loss of meat. They tend, however, to blow up a little when hitting not the boiler room but first a larger bone like shoulder and are not the best medicine for our wild boar. I use the 150 grain BT and PT now but still like the light recoil and the flat shooting of the lighter buller.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Give R15 a try-I've had excellent success with it in the 06 with light bullets.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote