New
Find
Notify
Tools

204 - Something Was Loose!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got in from the range with my new Ruger 77 V/T in caliber 204 Ruger. I tried my first handloads in it this evening just at sunset. Barrel break-in is done and I had a freshly cleaned barrel. I used two rounds of Hornady 32 gr. factory ammo to make the 300 yard gong "twang" and foul the barrel. Then I started in on my 10 rounds of handloads. They were all the same loading. Berger 35 gr. bullets in the once fired Hornady cases, now primed with Federal 205M primers and using 28.0 grs. of H4895. No pressure signs at all with this below maximum loading. My two 5 shot groups at 100 yards showed something was definitely loose or askew with my Rifle! Both groups had 3 shots in tiny clusters and two fliers both low of the other three shots - vertically strung! And the fliers appeared randomly in the shooting order. I thought I had noticed this tendency while shooting factory ammo and breaking in the barrel. It is now comfirmed. My first group had 3 shots in an amazing .046" group! The other two fliers (low) made the five shot group .933"! The next group was even more pronounced vertically. Three of the shots were in a very pleasing .303" group and then the two low shots strung the group out to 1.246"

I brought the rifle home and got out the big screwdriver! The 3 action screws were absolutely tight still. I had checked them when mounting the scope. Therein lies what I hope is the problem - 3 of the 8 ring screws were loose enough to need tightening! I must have been in a hurry to get that scope mounted! Then the two large screws that hold the integral rings to the action both took full 1/2 turns to snug up! I have very arthritic fingers and hands and maybe I just did not have the get up and go to tighten the screws properly on the day I did them originally!

The mild recoil of this heavy Rifle certainly could not have done any loosening in 50 shots?

Anyway I will definitely try this loading again tomorrow (if the wind and snow they are predicting will allow for good enough range conditions).

These loads with the 35 gr. Bergers have the bullets seated out so far they will not function in the Rifles magazine but if it will put two more shots in with the best 3's tomorrow like I shot tonight I will sure think nice thoughts of the late Bill Ruger tomorrow night!

You all should see the one group I shot with the three shots in .046"! The hole is just barely enlarged with the two fliers way below those three!

I can't wait to try the Rifle again tomorrow morning. They are predicting 30 MPH winds so I may have to wait a couple days!

Human error me thinks!

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VG, My 32 grain load giving me .3's is 28.3 grains of H4895....not much of a bump there from your load. It'snot maximum...no pressure signs whatsoever but it's good enough not to dink with it much more! My COL is 2.355 and I can load 5 in the Savage VLP magazine. My next test will be to "shorten them up some more" as the 40's did do a little better when I shortened them up! I just can't fathom a 100/1000ths jump!!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy,

Your scope rings may definately be your problem but is they are not take a look at your bolt locking lugs as theyare probably not baring evenly.

Nearly every Ruger VT or Ruger rifle for that matter that comes in the shop with accuracy problems either has a bedding problem, generally showing up in horizontal stringing or a problem with the baring surfaces of the locking lugs, which will be indicated by inconsistant vertical stringing.

To test this, beside just looking at your lugs, is that as your loads increase in pressure, this stringing will get worse if it is the bolt lugs. It is quite easy to lap the lugs in though.

If they are quite a bit off, it will take some time to do this but it is often well worth the effort to get consistant round groups.

Just something to keep in mine if it continues to show this stringing.

Good Shooting!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Groundhog devastation: Yes it is hard to imagine that large of a jump still giving such good accuracy. I mean I was amazed that the factory loads that were jumping .178" for my Rifle still shot acceptably well. Yes I took note of your load and how well it shoots and based my test load on your results.

My close friend Steve has always said (for the last 35 years at least) that "handloading causes questions"! There are times when I could not agree more!

Fiftydriver: Thank you for the sage advice - and that could very well be the problem and if it turns out the bolt lugs need lapping I will turn to you for your services.

I am waiting for the wind to slow so I can shoot my newest handloads and see if my bolt and screw tightening has helped any.

Also does anyone have a suggestion for a flash hole deburring tool that will fit down a 20 caliber case neck? Or for that matter a 17 caliber neck. I have been using a fresh drill chucked in a General hand driver with a drill chuck head!

This is a primitive fix and I do not want to wreck one of my EXPENSIVE Hornady cases. They run about 70 cents apiece as I have been buying the loaded ammo to get brass.

Thanks again guys for the advice and commiseration.

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy,

Sinclair carries a flashhole deburring tool for the sub 22 calibers.

Go to www.sinclairintl.com and search this part number:

#DB-1700

This is the sinclair flash hole deburring tool for 17 caliber cases along with the handle. The last list price I saw was $27.50. Very quality tools designed for the BR shooters.

Good Shooting!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fiftydriver: Thanks for the tip on the tool. I have a 17 caliber flash hole tool on the way!

I also got back out to the range tonight - just at sunset the wind quit and in failing light I shot 10 more of the Berger bullet test loads that showed promise yesterday. I think the "something is loose" problem has been solved! Hooray!

My two five shot groups at 100 yards were very pleasing to me - they were .374" and .595"! My load development is over for this year! I have about 40 pieces of brass to make up with this new loading.

I am very happy with the Ruger 77 V/T and the 204 Ruger cartridge so far and can not wait to get it out in the Varmint fields!

I am looking for a "trim to length" for the 204 Ruger if anyone has it. I think I will go check the Hornady site and see if they list it in their 204 load info section.

*I just checked the Hodgdon site and they show the proper trim to length as 1.840".

More later

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to Sinclair for there Chamber Length Gage I do not know if they make it for the 204 but it is a place to start.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=RESDTCL&item=G-224&type=store

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote