THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: How do you clean a heavy copper fouling?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: How do you clean a heavy copper fouling?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted
Hired Gun: I see what you mean. Sure can't argue with results on target such as you are getting. Fact is, I own the make and caliber rifle as yours, not near as many miles on it though. Your report certainly is encouraging. I consider this rifle to be a keeper. Have been thinking about purchasing a second Ruger VT in a different caliber, something that burns a little less powder, a little less muzzle blast.

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is my old dog. I bought it new at Bi-Mart for $340 and the 6.5x20 was $320 new. Adjusted the trigger myself down to 28 ounces. This was the second Ruger I have bought that I mounted a brand new scope on a brand new rifle and was less than one inch from the bull at 100 yards on the first shot. I have made some pretty amazing and crazy shots with it. Many memories for sure.

Posts: 149 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Good advice on the copper removal. I have used shooters choice and CR-10 for the most part. I'm going to try the Wipeout as I've heard good things about it. ( as long as it's not getting on the stock)

I've heard that leaving the Outers Foul-Out over night causes pitting in the bore. I don't remember where I was reading it but it seems the electrolisis process was actually pulling steel away at the muzzle and throat area because the magnetics were/ are much stronger at these points.
I wish I could turn you on to the article but to be honest, I've dismissed the Foul-Out because I question the effects of passing an electrical charge through the bore. I understand cryogenic treatment but believe damage can be done readily with electricity. This may also be why it takes more fouling shots to bring a "clean" barrel back.

I'll stick with the ammonia products for now.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just tried Wipe-Out, it works great. Does better on powder fouling than Sweets. The only down side is the application, it takes a bit of getting used to.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
aaron in utah. wipe out is great. i hear you when you say you need to get used to the application method. i followed the directions i thought. i went 1 one thousand, two one thousand. i had that stuff everywhere. it is one two stop and since have had better luck. it works superbly.

Posts: 97 | Location: maple valley, wash. | Registered: 19 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently starting using Montana Extreme Bore Solvent. In addition to removing unwanted nose hair it does a pretty fair job on copper. For a dedicated copper removal session I still prefer a good scrubbing or two with Sweets, but to limit copper buildup I think Montana Extreme might be a good solution. It's pretty potent stuff. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Hired Gun,
With a rifle that shoots in the .200 range with thrown together loads I expect the benchrest records to start falling real soon! Surely as I write this you are at the NBRSA nationals in KC and have just opened a great big ole can of whoop ass on them unsuspecting BR dudes!
6,000 rounds of 3800+ fps loads? What planet was your barrel made on cause it damn sure ain't of this earth! Are you sure it shoots in the .200s or is it the 2.00s

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Aaaawwwwww, Jim, don't be so hard on the feller. It's a 22-250! Shooting 224 caliber bullets. See, it shoots in the '2's with every shot! LOL! Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Dutch, Thank you so much for clearing that little mis-understanding up for me. Now I understand what the "2s" are. Now that you have explained it, I've got several rifles that shoot in the "2s" Hell I've got one that shoots in the "17s" Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote