New
Find
Notify
Tools

Evaporation?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I really wish I had a picture to show of this, but one doesn't exist..

I was at the rifle range the other day with my 444 Marlin and a sage rat runs out and stands up at 50 yds looking at the firing line...

Well, since I was the only shooter at the immediate moment... I looked in the cross hairs of the 4 power scope... and there he stood..

I think the "Devil Made Me Do it"!... but the next thing I knew is that the trigger went off, the barrel lurched....and nothing was there where he once stood...

I put on the redlights to close the range as I went down to look.... NO squirrel, but tons of little pieces of fur and little red bits of meat all over the place... and a crater behind where he stood... where the 300 grain slug had hit the ground....

That is what my high school teacher meant in science class when he was talking about the concept of evaporation! banana

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I do it with the 375 H&H with either the 300 grain TSX or the 260 grain Partition. Like you said, sometimes all you find is the hole in the ground and red spray paint.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KILLER!

LOL! Wink

I'm sure if you looked a few feet away you might have found a chunk.

Strangely enough we have groundhog holes in the backstop berms at out outdoor range. They're either deaf or really stupid. Last year when I was shooting one of my S&W 500's one of them was daring enough to stick his head out. The range master likes to shoot when there aren't many people around and he was watching behind me with his binos. All of a sudden he says "There he is, take him!" He didn't have to tell me twice Big Grin At 50yds from a sand bag it wasn't much of a challenge and I know he never saw it coming. The last thing that went through his mind was 575gr of lead Razzer

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't you just love it when you get a shot like that!!! jumping

AWESOME!!

Don

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
At 5 Dogs Range in Bakersfield there is a big sign on the firing line that says:

"Do not shoot any living creatures, except ground squirrels"

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
A couple of ground hogs came ambeling out of a side berm while I was shooting my .338 Win Mag. I shot the lead one thinking the second would scurry away. He walked up to what was left of his pal, and continued across the range. At about 15 yds, a 225 gr Hornady SST more-or-less picked him up, flipped him inside-out, and threw him 10 yds back into the berm.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where I shoot in TX, any of the above stunts earns you guaranteed removal of your range membership. To each his own, but about the only thing I would kill and not eat (or at least try to eat) would be a coyote.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it's more properly sublimation -going from solid to vapor !! rotflmo I saw it done with a 340 Wthby at 25 yds ,200 gr, on a jack rabbit .A big puff of fur .He went over an picked it up by the ears .Only the ears and head existed ,everything else was vapor. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
Where I shoot in TX, any of the above stunts earns you guaranteed removal of your range membership. To each his own, but about the only thing I would kill and not eat (or at least try to eat) would be a coyote.

Well, glad we aren't members of your range!

Even if you don't want to kill something you are not going to eat.. I trust you are not here on the varmint forum and telling us not to shoot prairie dogs, sage rats etc???

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not at all. That is why my post said specifically "To each his own"... Shooting something I am not going to eat just isn't my thing. Maybe I am just getting soft. Animals have no rights, but that doesn't mean something didn't die. Does that make sense?

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Double...

you are among friends...

I wasn't taking offense to your statement my friend!

My apologies if it came across that way!

beer
seafire

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:

I was at the rifle range the other day with my 444 Marlin and a sage rat runs out and stands up at 50 yds looking at the firing line...

Well, since I was the only shooter at the immediate moment... I looked in the cross hairs of the 4 power scope... and there he stood..

I think the "Devil Made Me Do it"!... but the next thing I knew is that the trigger went off, the barrel lurched....and nothing was there where he once stood...

I put on the redlights to close the range as I went down to look.... NO squirrel, but tons of little pieces of fur and little red bits of meat all over the place... and a crater behind where he stood... where the 300 grain slug had hit the ground....

That is what my high school teacher meant in science class when he was talking about the concept of evaporation! banana

Seafire,

I can see you on a 'roo shoot already....the 444 will do a nice job on them too Big Grin

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Animals have no rights, but that doesn't mean something didn't die. Does that make sense?

saluteYes! roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 16 May 2007 12:41 AM Hide Post
quote:

That is what my high school teacher meant in science class when he was talking about the concept of evaporation!

Seafire,

quote:
Seafire,

I can see you on a 'roo shoot already....the 444 will do a nice job on them too

Blair338/378 WBY

This coming from a guy with a handle or 338/378 Weatherby?? BOOM

Ya sure I wouldn't be undergunned there Mate? lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Posted 16 May 2007 12:41 AM Hide Post
quote:

That is what my high school teacher meant in science class when he was talking about the concept of evaporation!

Seafire,

quote:
Seafire,

I can see you on a 'roo shoot already....the 444 will do a nice job on them too

Blair338/378 WBY

This coming from a guy with a handle or 338/378 Weatherby?? BOOM

Ya sure I wouldn't be undergunned there Mate? lol

It's the mean arse attitude that counts, mate Wink

You can always borrow the 338/378! Big Grin

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blair,

I have to admit it Mate.. I am 'too cheap' to own a rifle that shoots a bullet that cost $4.00 plus everytime I pull the trigger...

What is ammo costs per shot down in OZ??? Must be twice what it is here!

Plus, I just can't see a use in my world for that cartridge... to me it is for the guys who either have too much testosterone and not enough women in their lives... or for the guy whom doesn't have enough testosterone and is trying to compensate in front of his friends...
YOU being the exception to both of those analogies.... of course... thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now you have to picture this in your mind to get the jest of it.I am over 65 so I guess I am a senior citizen,the distance the target was covering was the with of a car +about 3 ft.
My self and my shooting buddie was at the range Tuesday as usuall,I had just shot my last 69 gr 223 bullet that I had on the bench<which was incidently or actcidently a 5 shot one hole group at 100 yds,My buddie yells shoot that snake,I am looking for a bullet on the bench which there aren;t anymore,get up run accross the room dig a 223 bullet out of my box,run back to the bench load,looking for the snake in my scope its at 50 yds,and moveing accross the road bed,finally find it in scope pull the trigger and it blows the head off.Which by now I am about out of breath.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by owensby:
,My buddie yells shoot that snake,I am looking for a bullet on the bench which there aren;t anymore,get up run accross the room dig a 223 bullet out of my box,run back to the bench load,looking for the snake in my scope its at 50 yds,and moveing accross the road bed,finally find it in scope pull the trigger and it blows the head off.Which by now I am about out of breath.

Sounds like the excitement level was quite high. Hope you had the right mix of geritol and gatorade with you. dancingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just plain old forgot to take the geritol that morning beer
If I had been about 40 years younger it probably wouldn't have been funny either. SmilerBeen retired 11 years and thats the fastest I have moved since.Found out one thing,if a bear gets after me I can run a very short distance pretty fast Smiler

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had an exact opposite experience once on the range. I got a perfect shot at a sparrow at 100 yards, launched a 70-grain .243 its way, and absolutely no visible results. I walked downrange and found that the shot had passed right through the head and did about the same damage as a BB. Guess there just wasn't enough resistance.

I got a body shot on another later, and saw feathers fly everywhere - and one wing flew off to parts unknown.

I miss that .243...

NRA Life Member
testa virtus magna minimum

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not at all. That is why my post said specifically "To each his own"... Shooting something I am not going to eat just isn't my thing. Maybe I am just getting soft. Animals have no rights, but that doesn't mean something didn't die. Does that make sense?

I spend a great deal of time shooting things not to eat them, but to stop them from eating things that I want to eat...

Like the woodchucks that gnaw on the bark of apple trees in a commercial orchard.

Or the deer that eat the apples, yeah we eat the deer, but that is incidental to shooting them to stop them from destroying cash crops.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote