THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Coyote Calling Help Needed In Maine

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coyote Calling Help Needed In Maine
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted
Are there any AR Forum guys from Maine who hunt coyote? I m in need of some help.
I do my homework on the place before I hunt it. But it almost seems like by time I'm done scouting the place the 'yotes have moved on.
I do know of a place where I will be going for a few days to call them in. I dont think the have the need to move on that far here. On 40,000AC of paper mill land.

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
I have had now for sometime the Foxpro Spitfire, I was going to download some more sounds then the standard sounds. Is there anyone from Newengland who could help me out in choosing which sounds to buy?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I am not from New England, but will try to help. You probably have all the sounds you need already loaded on your Spitfire. Coyotes will respond to the same sounds all over North America. You can call in coyotes with a jackrabbit sound where there are no jackrabbits. Your scouting and stand set-up are far more important that what sound you are using. Make sure you go in quietly (no slamming the truck door), don't expose yourself on ridges, set up down wind or cross wind, have on full camo including face mask and gloves, don't turn up your caller too loud, set up so you have good shooting lanes, and most of all-sit still and don't be moving around. With all of that said, a good coyote pup distress sound will work great this time of year when they are still denned up and raising the pups.

If a lot of folks have been using e-callers in your area you might want to switch to hand calls.

Bob

Here are some very good FOXPRO sounds:

1-234 Aggr. Jack
2-209 Coyote Pup
3-291 Woodpecker
4-239 Rabbit Duet
5-236 Jackrabbit Squall
6-238-Cottontail #2
7-233 Jackrabbit
8-LOO Lighting Jack
9-351 Cottontail Frenzy
10-290 Lucky Bird

Here is a link to one of my recent articles on e-calling in "Predator Xtreme" that may help a little bit:
Link-Click Here

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Hey thanks! I have at least 3 of those sounds. As for people hunting in the area? Well I really have no idea who else is. The yote population is plentiful where I m trying. We camped out one night up there, then tried calling the next day. From driving the roads to spot scat and other ID for them. When walking from our camp site to our first stand we found at least 6 new piles of scat from over night in less then a mile(probably closer to half mile) to our first stand all in the middle of the road.
When we were calling we could hear things out in the woods moving around. They were not showing there faces. My friend with me stated that he thought he was going to get run over though a raspberry thicket he was hiding in. We both were armed with center fire rifles and a shot gun. It was driving us insane! Our 2nd stand after some time we heard some more stuff but not as close.
We then took a brake for breakfast and to fix Richards rifle. Boy was he pissed, loosened set screw on his rail. Click click click.
So we thought we were screwed for calling and decided to fire off some rounds (bout 30-40rds I hand load allot) and head home.
But after making as much noise we did, we still heard more at one last stand on our drive out.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has been my experiance that calling coyotes in the east is far different than where I live, in Wyoming. I can see 'em comeing for several hundred yards out here, sometimes as much as a mile or more.. dryer air, doesnt carry my scent as far. I have tried a few times in Michigan when back for a deer hunt, it's hard to find a spot where you can see downwind very far, and I'm sure I've called in dogs only to wind me and leave before I could see 'em. Try putting a shooter four or five hundred yds downwind on a stand, and call for him.. might work. HTH Les

Posts: 432 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Les Staley:
It has been my experiance that calling coyotes in the east is far different than where I live, in Wyoming. I can see 'em comeing for several hundred yards out here, sometimes as much as a mile or more.. dryer air, doesnt carry my scent as far. I have tried a few times in Michigan when back for a deer hunt, it's hard to find a spot where you can see downwind very far, and I'm sure I've called in dogs only to wind me and leave before I could see 'em. Try putting a shooter four or five hundred yds downwind on a stand, and call for him.. might work. HTH Les

One thing a few of my friends and I have bounced around is to get a repel harness or out of rope, and get higher up in the trees over the 2nd growth.
I ll have photos of it when it happens.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.predatorxtreme-digi...redatorx/201006#pg55

These guys hunt in New York State. I would think what they do is close to what you would probably need to try.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Check out these guys videos on their youtube link.They hunt upstate new york. Very basic set up and calling yet they still get their share of yotes. Check out the set areas they choose. Should help some.

http://www.beanhillbuckhunters.com/

Posts: 3 | Location: new york | Registered: 04 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mgoodrich:
http://www.predatorxtreme-digi...redatorx/201006#pg55

These guys hunt in New York State. I would think what they do is close to what you would probably need to try.

Good deal, haven't had the time to read it but I m looking foreword to it!
I NEED TO RENEW MY MEMBERSHIP TO THAT MAG!!

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
James,you're correct about the coyotes moving on. Except for short periods of time when nursing pups, coyotes are nomadic, they roam a large area and just sleep wherever they are when they get tired. Try setting up and calling for 20 minutes and then moving at least 1/2 mile. The coyote that made that fresh sign is probably 5 miles away, but he'll be back. Don't give up on an area just because you hunted it a couple times and didn't do any good.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Hello James,

I live in and hunt northern wisconsin. I would assume area not too different than your own.

Coyote calling here is very frustrating. Hours and miles of prep work for usually nothing. There are some things that I have found that are similar to the guys in the article above.

The more you study the movements of the coyotes in the area you are hunting, the more able you will be to call them effectively. A large block of land may seem like a good place to call, but if you are not able to study the patterns of the coyotes (in that block) then you are just taking a chance the coyotes are there when you are there. Not good odds by any means.

The coyotes here are largely nocturnal. They rarely move in the daytime, EVEN IF THEY HEAR A DISTRESS CALL. I know this is hard to believe, but I have seen it enough to know this is happening. An hour or two after sundown the coyotes will converge on the last place I called just at sundown. They heard me, (when I was calling) but did not move until they felt safe in the dark.

Night hunting here is tough as the regs are very restrictive, and is open to the interpretation of the GW. Those guys in the article are hunting at night. Coyotes that won't have a thing to do with you during the day will come to the call at night.

I have called coyotes in Montana, ND, SD and it is nothing like here. The distress calls work everywhere, but the howls are much different. You must study the howls of the coyotes you are calling. In some area distress calls will not work very well as the coyotes have been "distressed" to the point of indifference.

Good luck.

Jim

PS. Forgot to mention wolves can have quite an impact on the coyotes niche. An organized wolf pack will run down and kill any coyote in its territory that is howling. The dynamics of this can be very exciting. You tend to end up with "silent" coyotes and wolves that answer your coyote howling. It makes night calling very interesting to say the least.

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
James,you're correct about the coyotes moving on. Except for short periods of time when nursing pups, coyotes are nomadic, they roam a large area and just sleep wherever they are when they get tired. Try setting up and calling for 20 minutes and then moving at least 1/2 mile. The coyote that made that fresh sign is probably 5 miles away, but he'll be back. Don't give up on an area just because you hunted it a couple times and didn't do any good.

Swampshooter, I partially agree and disagree with your statement. I hunt up the river from you (assuming you hunt in Brownsville area) in Webb County. I have called an area for over one hour on several occasions and have had at least one come within sight. Not always but enough to know that I should never give up too soon. Coyotes are very territorial if there is competition from another tribe in the area. Last year I called in a single location, late in the morning, for 1 hour and 10 minutes. I got bored and actually stood up to gather my shooting sticks, etc. and a coyote came running in about a minute after the call (foxpro scorpion-rabbits) was turned off. Back when I still used hand calls, I have had multilple times when coyotes came in after I stopped calling for a minute or two.

I personally think coyotes ALWAYS come in somewhere to a call. They just don't always show themselves, especially if they are exceptionally weiry or full from a previous meal. Coyotes are oportunist and will not pass up something for free. Of course if they are not there to hear the call then they are not there.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I killed a lot of predators in the forest using tuna or gut pile in a bag as bait.

Works in the Western plains just a huge pain in the ass, on time.

Bait daily until you have them coming. Then whack them after you get them cyling to your bait.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote