New
Find
Notify
Tools

varmints at nite
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
seen people use a red light at night but, do you need a illuminated redicle also?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Highpower223: I have Hunted Varmints at night for decades now and never used a lighted reticle.
Yes red lights work well and in most habitats the intended Varmints bodies can be made out clearly enough in the red light to allow proper shot placement. On longer shots (Varmints that have "hung up" way out there for instance) I simply have the light operator take off the red lense cover of my LightForce Spotlight when I am ready to shoot and the bright white light then allows for positive Varmint identification and exact shot placement. Coyotes seem to hold still ong enough in the bright light for a careful shot to be gotten off. Dittoes Bobcats, Foxes and Raccoons.
One thing to keep in mind is to have the light source slightly ahead of the scopes rear lense or overwhelming glare in the scope will impede your target acquisition and sight alignment.
I also use a blue lense cover under certain circumstances.
When I am driving from calling site to calling site at night I always have the spotlight out the window (even in below zero temperatures!) to scan for Varmints that may be shot at the time (once all lawful requirements are met!) or I mark the spot (sometimes by zig-zagging in the snow or dust of the road if no obvious landmarks are at hand) and return later with headlights out and quietly approach the area.
I think an illuminated reticle would be an asset for night calling but I have done fairly well for a long time now without them.
Best of luck if you decide to try one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks. Ill give it a try without first.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
You might want to check the Regulations in your state first. In Kansas Spotlighting will get you a visit from the Sheriff.

I know from past experience. When I was 30 years younger I was only driving around with my cousins "after" we had been hunting. I made the mistake of Spotlighting a rabbit in a farmers field, next thing I new the Sheriff was folowing me. I made a B-Line home and when we hit the county line he turned arround. For some reason I never hunted in that county again.

Be Carefull Roll Eyes

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
On private property in Florida we can spotlight for problem animals & I've used a 1 million candle power spotlight with a red lense cover, that worked much better than white light. The animals pay it almost no mind, keep the light just above the head until you are ready for the shot & drop it down to his face... Bang!
I also have a cheap BSA Illuminated redicle scope on my 222 & it has been a deadly combo.

I'm new to the predator hunting game, but man is it some kind of fun!

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote