Find
Notify
Tools

Back from Montana PD shoot
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Montana
posted
Northwest Airlines has to be the worst airline in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not counting getting there, I had a blast shot a little over 1500 rounds in three days. The rancher and I figured maybe 800 pd's gone to their holes in the sky. The Cooper in 223 really got a work out this trip as the wind was up. My little gun is a Browning A-bolt 22 K-hornet. Had confirmed kills out 225yds with the K-hornet and my longest with the Cooper was 484yds. Actually had about 15 kills in the 475-484 range, most shots with the Cooper where 250 and up. I live in central NC and anything over 100yds is long range here. One day I walked the towns with the Hornet and that was a blast popping them offhand. Next trip I am taking some shooting sticks and plan on spending more time doing this.

Hopefully plan to go back in July or August several of his very large towns had died out. One town was two miles long and who knows how wide and it was dead.
If I lived close to these towns I would be broke and the sorriest SOB around.

Wayne

Live everyday, like it was your last!!

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had fun.

'Montana' must be your dream moniker since you live in NC.

Posts: 128 | Location: Rio Arriba County, NM | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
Wanted to live there since I was 16 and that was a while ago.

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, why don't you live there?

Posts: 128 | Location: Rio Arriba County, NM | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
Maybe one day, right now self employed making good bucks. saving them up to make a move somewhere. I like NC but to many damn people and taxes way too high. I used to live out in the country but the city is closing in. Sold some of my land, prepping my business for sale hope to make enough from it to kick back. it will take a few more years but I am having fun and it pays for some nice trips a couple times a year. Finally sell the house here and move.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Dirty Name Taker!!

Lots of people from out of state who make good money enjoy Montana more than some of the residents. Pay in Montana, generally, stinks. Of course its just a matter of having the right priorities!

What did Northwest do to you? Did they get chappy about your rifles? I fly Northwest all the time and do get sick of some of their delays but they've been good overall.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Interesting timing since four of us are scheduled to leave Orlando for eastern MT and more Grass Rat Harassment fun. Only problem is the past week has been almost daily rains in the area we hunt. We're planning to leave next Tuesday but will decide after another weather check Sunday.

Posts: 26 | Location: Florida | Registered: 30 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
mt AL,

Just living out there would be a joy, not in the city though. I would prefer Missoula up to Kalispell. Paradise valley was very nice when I was there in '91. Not sure today as I heard the Californian's have stunk up the place. Be glad I just visit and haven't settled on my own 20 acre Ranchette. I love wide open spaces and to see them ruined by housing makes me sick. I was in Missoula this past November and had not been there since '91. Could not recognize the place, I fell in love with that town on the first trip and other than mountains could not tell I was not at home.

Concerning Northwest was supposed to arrive at 12:49 be at the ranch by 3:30 instead arrived 10:21 and arrived at 2 am. I was up 23 hours trying to get there. I flew to Africa last year in less time. Plus I paid more for a one stop trip so as to arrive early. Go figure. Sent email to complain and their auto responder sent back a message that it would take up to 13 business days to reply Smiler.

Hoyt Dude,

The first two days I was there it was very cloudy in the morning and afternoon and would clear off midday. Last day is spit rain at me almost the whole time finally called it quits about 2:30. Was worried about that gumbo mud and getting stuck. The rancher left me alone the last day as he had some cattle to go move. They moved quite well and had no problem shooting all I wanted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Theres a reason we call it... Northworst Airlines. I fly a lot and we keep track of how many times they lose our luggage. We once ran 50%. thats pretty damned bad.

Where did You shoot the PD's?? We went out to Geraldine and probably 90% of the towns were DEAD, just gone.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
I have only flown NW a couple times and they all sucked. Luckily my baggage/guns made it on the same flight as I both ways. No problems checking the guns either way.

Shot PD's close to Forsyth and yes the towns were dead. Got on one big town that was hopping but for the most part shot the edges of the dead towns.

Hope to go back in August if any dogs left.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have nothing but praise for NW airlines. I fly from either Dubai or Kuwait via Amsterdam to GTF or HLN. Never lost my gear, Longest delay was 40 minutes at MSP into Montana. I had a full 9mm Beretta clip make it all the way thru in Feb. w/ no problems in my baggage. I'm an elite gold flier and that helps too. Last Oct. I watched em' load 2 big elk racks in Msla into the cargo hold w/ great care. The airline I avoid is Delta. Crabby middle aged women flight attendants and small airplanes from SLC.

Posts: 101 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have had plenty of bad experiences with Northwest Airlines, but to claim they are the worst is open to discussion. There are a lot of folks putting in long days and nights at many airlines competing for that title. To be the absolute worst without debate would take quite an effort.

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
In my opinion they are the worst I have ever had the pleasure to fly with. I used to be in sales and flew out every week for three years. So I have more than a couple flights to compare with.

By the way this thread was about PD shooting, I was blowing off steam on NW. They did screw up my trip somewhat, that I paid extra for their flight to avoid. I would have been better off with Delta, try sitting in an airport for 3 hours and then 8 hours at the next one. Makes for a very long day and pretty much kills the next one two when you go to bed at 2am and jet lag wakes you up 5.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got back last night from 5 rainy days of Driving 2,300 miles to Montana and back.

Not many prairie dogs died, as the targets were small [pups], shy [225 yards], and few [unused mounds].

I shot prairie dogs in Montana in '84 and '88, and I remember bigger dogs, closer range, and dryer weather.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer:
Have had plenty of bad experiences with Northwest Airlines, but to claim they are the worst is open to discussion. There are a lot of folks putting in long days and nights at many airlines competing for that title. To be the absolute worst without debate would take quite an effort.

Fling internationally on Northwest is completely different from domestic flying. Going to Europe on Northwest is a pleasure and flying them domestically is a crapshoot.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Montana: Did you buy your ammunition locally or did you haul all of that on the airplane? Most airlines limit ammunition to 11 lbs per passenger. How did you deal with that?

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
Shipped it out with my sandbags, about 900 rounds of 223 and 800 rounds 22K-hornet. Brought back about 600 rounds of emptys on the plane and shipped the others.