THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Rifle advise for Fall trip to S.D.?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle advise for Fall trip to S.D.?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I used to be a rifle freak. For the last several years I have been lured astray by Sporting Clays. I just found out that we are going to have a chance to shoot Prarie Dogs in the mornings on our pheasant trip to SD this Fall.

I have a 22K Hornet w/4.5x14 Sightron, a 700 .223 custom w/6.5x20, and a 6BR biult on a Hi-Wall w/K-10(orK12)Weaver in the safe now. Which of these should I take other than the .223? How many rounds of ammo per gun? This is my first PD safari. Remember the PDs are going to be a fill in activity, have to wait till after 12 o'clock to chase roosters. Do I need to buy another rifle? If so what?

Posts: 65 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 02 October 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Provided they all shoot well, I would be tempted to take the K hornet, if you want to take a second gun.

For me, the major issue is that whatever gun you bring is accurate enough to hit PD's at whatever range you'll be shooting at.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
Bring the .223 and about 200-300 rounds per day.
I've been on 6 dog-shooting trips to ND, SD, and WY. It's tempting to take all those guns with the idea that you'll have any gun for any situation. I've used .17 Rem. up to .257 Roberts and a bunch in between. What you end up doing is grabbing the one gun that shoots well and using it until you run out of ammo. The .223 is about perfect for dog shooting. The rest of the guns and rounds just get in the way.
That's just been my experience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the PD's out there will have been shot at for months already and are likely to be a bit spooky, so you'll more than likely be shooting at distance. also its a windy time of year(like it isn't anytime)

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote