THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Night Vision Scopes and remote callers

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Night Vision Scopes and remote callers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
With temps in the 100s daily here in Texas, hunting at night is very productive, and the coyotes are playing hell with the deer and turkey, so I can justify the following equipment:

A US Nightvision Model 443 mounted on a Tikka .243. It is a 4 power Gen 3 scope. The caller is remote controlled and we generally set it up about 75-100 yds upwind. If in open country, a Mag light with the IR filter over the lense. You can see their eyes coming in from way out there.

Anyoue else using a similiar or other setup?

Posts: 87 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I wish !!!

I am closer to a candle mounted on a sling shot ,and a set of vice grips on a rabbits b@lls.

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used something similiar as a kid. With young eyes, it was probably more fun too.

Posts: 87 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not legal in CA - wish it was as I have the some of the right equipment. Don't believe we can use the night vision even if it is not attached to the gun.

Posts: 107 | Location: California High Desert | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not even a monocular?

Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The CA F&G code reads as follows "It is unlawful to use or possess at any time any infrared or similar light used in connection with an electronic viewing device sometimes designated as a sniperscope to assist in the taking of birds, mammals, amphibia, or fish."

It appears to me that it is considered evidence of it's use for hunting by simply possessing it while hunting. Not a lawyer though and have not asked F&G about it either.

Posts: 107 | Location: California High Desert | Registered: 08 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't read the CA F&G code, but what you quoted doesn't outlaw the scope-- it outlaws the IR light!!!

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe you are right.

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by KWTX:
With temps in the 100s daily here in Texas, hunting at night is very productive, and the coyotes are playing hell with the deer and turkey, so I can justify the following equipment:
Anyoue else using a similiar or other setup?[/QUOTE

Any bobcats coming to that?

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you could use passive equipment such as thermal imagers or even a starlight scope which magnified the available light.

$7 - 8K will buy an entry level thermal and $25K will get you the good stuff for rifle mount. I tested some in 2000 at Ft Belvoir, VA during the day in the summer and you could find deer easily and dogs and cats if they were out in the open as far as you could see them. The stuff out there now will ID mice or an exposed forehead within 2-300 yds with a 5 degree temp differential...good stuff, but expensive!!

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys could be right and passive equipment may be legal but not an argument I want to have in the field. Will have to ask the F&G next time I run into one of their guys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Baboon,

Coyote, bobcat, coon, ringtail, skunks, even an occasional hog will come in, sometimes depending on the call used. I find the bird in distress to be the most effective for everything.. Young dogs in distress is very good for coyote. Wounded rabbit is good for everything.

What do ya'll use?

Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do most of my shooting at night for foxes. They are a big problem and any means necessary practically goes.
I have friends with night vision but I haven't seen it in action.
I have to content myself with powerful spotlights and red filter lens which are good until foxes learn to run as soon as they detect that as well.
Mostly we watch the wind and drive or walk into it. We cover a lot of ground only using the light to occasionally locate the fox then switch it off and try to close the gap to within 300m. Most shot foxes are just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Before they get a chance to move they are shot. Early in the season the young foxes can be lured in to even run under the vehicle using predator calls.
Anyway thats what i use.
cheers
robe

Posts: 143 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You guys could be right and passive equipment may be legal but not an argument I want to have in the field. Will have to ask the F&G next time I run into one of their guys.

You don't have to wait to run into one of the local guys, Call them, the people in Sac. are well informed and if they don't have an answer for you they will have someone that does call you back.

Posts: 1118 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote