Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coyote in NC
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone here have any ideas for calling coyotes in western North Carolina. We have enough to be a problem but no experience in calling them. We usually call foxes and feral cats but these calls don't seem to work on our coyotes.

Posts: 5 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jeffery- I live in Burke County close to Morganton. I am in the process of obtaining permission to hunt on a hunting club lease as a non-member. Sorry, but I can't invite anyone. I have a an electronic caller and mouth callers, but I can't get a coyote to respond to any of the calls. I'm looking for new ideas. I've called on several tracts of land around here with no success. I have heard the coyotes, but they will not respond.
Brian

Posts: 5 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian,

Where in western NC do you hunt?
My brother has a electronic caller and I have several mouth calls. Let me know when you are going hunting and perhaps we can drive up and hunt with you.

Posts: 192 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: 06 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian, I've had similar results in Rutherford County. I've seen a few when I didn't have a rifle or couldn't shoot, and deer hunters have seen quite a few in the area. A farmer who has had several calves killed by coyotes or feral dogs lets me hunt, but I haven't been able to get any response to calls. I've got a phantom and a couple of mouth calls, but either I don't know how to use them or the dogs figure it out and vanish without me seeing them.

?????

John

Posts: 89 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're calling 'yotes in timber or creek bottoms it is more akin to deer hunting than what goes on out west. Probably your calls are too loud. Hit the bottoms(especially in spring), and use a squeaker...only. Don't use it much and be very very still. You may gain some mileage in spring by using a fox kit call as fox and yotes are mortal enemies. Luck to you.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Brian,
I live close to Nashville, so I guess the coyotes here are about the same as they are there. In past years I have used an electronic call (Johnny Stewart)and it would work about once every 5 times out. When it did work, the coyotes knew something was up and the shot would be fleeting at best. Maybe they were hearing the static from the call or it was too loud...I don't know. This year, I ordered a hand call from Elk Inc., I think it's called a Yote Buster. I also bought the howler and the little squeeker thing that hangs on the barrel. When I got it, it had snowed a little and was overcast and nasty out. In three set-ups I called in 4 coyotes up to within 40 yards, they were completely fooled. I should have been bowhunting! Since then I have called in 6 more in about 12 set-ups. What I have noticed about my unsuccessful trips is that the weather is nice and the sky is clear, AND I have already hunted there. So, this tells me that I am better off hunting on nasty days in new places.... makes sense.
I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but I will tell you what seems to work for me. I wear scent-free clothes, sneak into my hunting place (no four wheeler!!!!) , sit for 10 minutes or so, squeek a few times with the thing on the gun barrel, wait and watch for 3 or 4 minutes, howl a couple of times followed by the Yote buster loudly, wait for about 5 minutes, squeek some more on the barrel thingy, wait for 5 minutes and squeek again. The whole set-up should last only 30 minutes at the most. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Posts: 10 | Location: Hendersonville, TN | Registered: 20 October 2002Reply With Quote