New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any info on PD's in Kansas???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Never been there and have no contacts. Can anyone offer advise, suggestions, etc. on P. dogging in Kansas? Running straight out I70 is more attractive than taking the right turn north to SD.

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was born & raised in western Kansas & still get there for pheasants. The PD population there is very small & towns are hard to find or get permission to shoot. I'd take that right hand turn off I 70.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THANKS! Recently read an article about a fued between two guys - one wanting prairie dogs on his place and another taking legal action to make him control em. Just got me thinking if there was that much fuss maybe they'd welcome a volunteer "controler." Wink

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oupa:
... one wanting prairie dogs on his place ... "controler." Wink

I can understand that! I'd like a whole bunch of Prairie Dogs on my place too...

... about 400-500 yards behind the house.

Spring has sprung, da' creek has riz, I wonder where dem kitties is?
Here kitty kitty kitty...
NRA Life Member 1965

Posts: 5 | Location: Central Connecticut | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In neighboring Kansas, there are many, many prairie rats. So many in fact, that if you do not control them and your neighbors complain, the county will do it for you and put the bill on your next tax statement. The control work is delegated to the County Weed Department. Look up the Weed Director in any county in Western Kansas and........start reloading.

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand that Cimmeron National Grasslands in the southwest corner has a lot of p-dogs. That is one thing that I miss. I used to live in Grants, New Mexico, and had tons of the critters all around me. They will be coming out of hybernation soon I imagine. I guess the p-dogs in eastern Kansas heard I was coming with my CZ 527 Lux-American in .223 because when I got here they must have all fled for their lives. Ain't a damn p-dog here in the eastern parts. I would get a state map, look at the towns very near the Grasslands and try calling the town police departments to try to get a handle on folks who shoot p-dogs in their area. The national grasslands if federal lands, which means you do not need permission to hunt there. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do appreciate the help generated by this post. I have the urge to take a prairie dog safari SOME PLACE this summer. It's simply a matter of narrowing the possibilities.
cheers

posted Hide Post
I live near Dodge City the locals are funny in some ways about them, they do not want them usually but they do not want them shot either. I have talked to some who do not want Coyotes shot either. To many people going after Pdogs and shooting up stock tanks and cattle.
My daughter called the other day to tell me that where she lives in Co. they are PROTECTED you can't shoot them at all. I think that is just wierd.

You cannot always live as you wish, but you must always live as you can

Posts: 14 | Location: SW Kansas 5 miles from the middle of nowhere | Registered: 11 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
opua,

I lived in Kansas (moved about 6 months ago) and hunted there from my youth. Yes there are P Dogs there however, when we wanted to shoot them in quantity we went to South Dakota, to the Sioux Reservation west of Winner. More dogs than we could ever shoot. Averaged 2,000+ rounds a weekend.

Best Regards
Carl

Exercise makes you look good naked, so does bourbon.....You decide

Posts: 189 | Location: Was Kansas, USA - Now South Australia | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of West
posted Hide Post
I went over to the Kansas Cimarron Grassland country from Colorado last summer to shoot PD's. Although it was in the "OK category" it was far from great shooting. Wyoming and South Dakota have been better for me.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.

Posts: 41 | Location: Aurora, CO | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far I haven't read the Kans laws.

Small game license required? Cost?
N/R cost?

In CO. they changed the laws recently. Best to contact DoW and find out as I'm not certain now.

Used to be you couldn't kill them on public lands, but, could on private.
Now they've changed that to open shooting after the pups are born in the spring. I'm not sure of the dates yet. Sometime in April I think it opens.

www.wildlife.state.co.us

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6001 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote