Find
Notify
Tools

Coyote Calling
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DPollard
posted
I would like to know the best coyote call for a beginner. I have never hunted or called them but want to get into it. Any recommendations on calls and how to use them would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of AR-Patriot
posted Hide Post
the best call for a beginner would be the one someone else with experience is blowing! That said,I bought one called the "screaming howler" from Woodwise Products that I like,especially since it came with a DVD to help you learn to call.It is a dual call setup,one adult call and a pup call.Sounds good,haven't hunted with it yet,but will soon.Did have a couple howling back to me at the end of Deer season though!Patriot

"The tree of Liberty,from time to time,must be replenshed by the blood of Patriots and Tyrants."
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 50 | Location: Proctor,Texas | Registered: 27 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AR-Patriot
posted Hide Post
There number is 1-800-w wcalls and web is www.woodwise.com

"The tree of Liberty,from time to time,must be replenshed by the blood of Patriots and Tyrants."
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 50 | Location: Proctor,Texas | Registered: 27 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are lots of good calls on the market. I don't think there is such a thing as a 'best' call. Pick a rabbit in distress call and learn how to use it. Go to an area where you know there are coyotes that aren't hunted, such as a state park, and practice your calling there. These coyotes are usually easier to call than hunted ones, but they respond to the calls the same way.

Good luck.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DPollard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k-22hornet:
There are lots of good calls on the market. I don't think there is such a thing as a 'best' call. Pick a rabbit in distress call and learn how to use it. Go to an area where you know there are coyotes that aren't hunted, such as a state park, and practice your calling there. These coyotes are usually easier to call than hunted ones, but they respond to the calls the same way.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input. There are so many to choose from, wasn't sure if some were better than others. Now I know. Thanks again.

One of Us
Picture of BoomRM
posted Hide Post
Good advise from AR and k-22. A DVD or audio CD will help to give you the basic idea of the sounds you are trying to mimic. Also, you might start out with a closed reed call as they are much more user-friendly for a beginner.

I use Dan Thompson's game calls.

My .25-06 shoots 1/4" all day long.....

Posts: 82 | Location: Utah | Registered: 29 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
What about the Electronic calls like the ones from Fox-Pro? I will start a new post on this also. Confused

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have used mouth diaphragms for turkeys you're all set.Just use a single or twin reed to make a rabbit in distress call-Waaaahhh waaahh and so on.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote