Notify
Tools

Re: Benchmark for 22-250!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted
Quote:

LDH-Unlike the Hornet,This is something we AGREE ON..(LOL)

I am using Varget in three different rifles- my 22-250,my 30-30 and my 30-06(150g loads) It works VERY well in all three.

Benchmark sounds like a great powder-it,like Varget is part of the Extreme line of Hodgdon powders.I like working up a Coyote load in the summer and knowing it will still shoot in 25 degree weather in January...

But will it work in a Hornet?...

Hey... I guess I couldn't pass up the opportunity to be a wise ass...

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Quote:

When I tried Varget it shot okay but loads put together and chronographed at 80 degrees still lost almost 100 feet per second when fired at 40 degrees.

Hired Gun,

I urge you to do some more testing. I've done it with a 308, 223, and 22-250 and my data very closely mirrors what Hodgdon claims.

My differences between 90 degrees and 30 degrees were never more than 25fps and sometimes less than 10fps.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Quote:

$bob$(A.K.A. LDHunter): Do you think it would be more appropriate to show your signature photo in a profile type view as opposed to head on and having the viewers of your signature looking right down the bore or your Rifle barrel?
I was just wondering if you think that another view would be more appropriate in some safety conscious ways?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Nope... Haven't heard of anybody being shot by a picture yet.

$bob$

one of us
posted Hide Post
NO,LDH, Benchmark is not a good Hornet Powder,BUT LilGun is!

I use LG in my .22Hornet,.218 Bee,.32-20,.310 Martini Cadet and .357 mag loads-more velocity with less pressure in every cartridge!

one of us
posted Hide Post
From the Data Hodgdon publishes, LilGun has the best pressure/velocity relationship with lighter bullets in cartridges above a .357...

I've never talked to anyone that has loaded LILGUN in 41s and 44s.What kind of velocites do you get and how is the accuracy compared to H110??

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I tried Varget it shot okay but loads put together and chronographed at 80 degrees still lost almost 100 feet per second when fired at 40 degrees.

Posts: 149 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Yeah... I use Lil' Gun in my 44mags, 41mag, and 221. It's pretty versatile. Meter's a whole lot better for me than H110 used to also...

$bob$