THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    AA 2200 powder, Is it temperature sensitive?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AA 2200 powder, Is it temperature sensitive?
 Login/Join

<Max E.>
posted
I had a report on loads that were worked up in
the summer,"using AA2200 data powder", dropping over 400 fps in velocity when fired in the lower temperatures of winter. This happened in both
222 and 223 cal. rifles. Has anyone else had this
experience? I would expect some drop, but was
surprised to find it so much. I would think the
differance in temperature was 40/50 degrees F.

I use a lot of this powder and haven't had any
problems, but could see where I might have if I
work up near Max.loads in the Winter, and carry
them over into our 90 to 100 degree summer.

[ 12-31-2002, 11:21: Message edited by: Max E. ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What exactly do you mean by temperature sensitive? High ambient air temp can cause higher chamber pressure. I've used AA2200 in 222 loadings on some really hot days when the shooting was equally hot. Didn't notice any signs of excessive pressure but then again I was really busy blasting ground squirrels. [Cool]

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<TERMINATOR>
posted
I am about to start using this powder in a .223 with 55 grain bullets. Do you have a reccommendation on how much to use? I am looking for about 2900 fps. Not hot. Same speed I am getting with 748 which works fine. I do a lot of shooting and want to save the barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accurate lists 23.5grs as a MAX loads for 55gr bullets, giving 3265fps (24"bbl) and 48,000 c.u.p. Check their website or call their tech hotline (800 416 3006) for more info. FWIW, I've used a lot of this powder with good results.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have three 8lb jugs of 2200 and use it mostly under Rem. 55gr. FMJs. As I recall I'm loading 22.3gr and getting right at 3000fps out of my 20" Bushmaster.

The outfit I bought it from, HSM in Stevensville, MT, advised me that 2200 can produce some "interesting" pressure spikes. That's why I'm loading a full grain+ below published max.

FWIW.

Posts: 20 | Location: Montana | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
<MachV>
posted
Have burned up 4 kegs of 2200 with 55SX(3200@ 100deg)in 223 at prairie dogs.The key for me has ben to use a magnum primer(CCI450)Will not group worth a darn with standard primers.The powder charge is over recomendation so I'll not list it.It shoots fair in all 5 223s & great in the RugerVT & Colt AR 20".It is minute of coyote to 400 yards with the 20" upper from 100Deg to -10(have not cronyed in the cold to document)but the velosity must drop as it gets colder as I have to dial in more elivation to get results=CJ