THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    What caliber-bullet choice for small african cats.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What caliber-bullet choice for small african cats.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted
How about some input on bullet choices for serval, genet, civet, caracal? I have calibers from 17HMR to 500NE, but have never hunted fur with an eye toward preserving the hide.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if i had my choice it would probably be a 22 hornet, but unless you are hunting specifically for the small cats you end up using whatever you have with solids. they zip through without much damage

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have usually used a solid, as the small cats have always been a target of opertunity..If I was packing a 22 magnum or 5 MM, I would probably run head on into a Lion with a score to settle..As a pure varmint gun for those cats I would suggest a heavy bullet in a 22 Hornet or even a .222..A 60 gr. Hornady would be a good bullet at 222 velocity..I have used it on coyotes and small whitetail and it expands and kills but isn't overly destructive. In a 22-250 it can be more destructive.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twoseventy:
How about some input on bullet choices for serval, genet, civet, caracal? I have calibers from 17HMR to 500NE, but have never hunted fur with an eye toward preserving the hide.

Tom

I'm so glad you asked.

The perfect bullet is a Hornady 300 gr. FMJ and the perfect rifle is chambered in 375 H&H Magnum.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
OK, so, anything from a 22 Hornet to a 375 H&H with solids should work well. I have till May to decide so further comments are welcome.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I'll be chasing some of the little guys in June using my 300 WM and the CEB 145 gr ESP Raptor bullets turned around and used as solids.

I've only been playing with the CEB loads as a 'soft' currently, but I've gotten several different loads that are under 1" MOA.

I'm about to start working with them as solids, and will determine my 'soft' load once I see how they shoot as a solid, with the objective to find a solid load that shoots close to the same POI as the soft.

So far, the accuracy has been extremely surprising!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about cats but back when coyote pelts were worth skinning, I shot a few using FMJ's out of a .223. It would kill them but sometimes they would run a long ways before they realized they were dead. My solution was to throttle back on velocity and use the SX type bullets.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have shot a butt load of the small stuff, and a majority of them have been shot with my .375 and trophy bonded sledgehammer solids. tu2 Small hole going in and small hole going out and usually DRT. Big Grin It will going back with me to Zim in 2014 as a back-up DG Rifle and for some of the smaller stuff that I may encounter, including African Wildcat, another Honey badger, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A .375 with solids is standard; however, if you hunt at night with a spotlight ( legal in Zim), use a shotgun w/ # 4 or 6 shot. I borrowed mine on two hunts, shot cerval, genet, mongoose, & porcupine & saw lots more. Fun hunting style. Mr Honey Badger is next!

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Shotgun. Interesting. I shot a honey badger with a shotgun on the way to camp after shooting a leopard. Rolled him.

Tom

-Edward, duke of York

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

one of us
posted Hide Post
I killed a civet, and a caracal, with a 9,3x74R double rifle with 286gr Woodleigh, which is a bonded bullet, and did not mess up the hides.

I killed a big honey badger with a 308 WCF, with a 165gr Trophy Bonded Bearclaw, also a bonded bullet and did not mess up the hide.

I also killed a bobcat with a 165 TBBC at 30 to 35 yards and again the bonded bullet did not mess up the hide.

I shot 2 red fox in Alaska with a 300 Win Mag at 325 and 350 yards, with the 200gr TBBC, and did not mess up those hides. The 200gr TBBC was recovered in the snow and it expanded quite well.

The wife shot a bobcat, from above at about 45 yards or so with a 308 and the 165 TBBC, the bullet hit just to the left of center chest and exited the right rear ham. Only two small holes in the hide.

If you do not have solids for the calibre you shoot, or do not have time to change over to them, use a good quality Bonded Core bullet, that does not fragment. In my experience they are fairly easy on the hides.

They are also a very good choice on large game as well. They make a great all round bullet.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot my Caracal with my Chapuis DR in 9,3x74 at about 240yds. Darn near eviscerated him.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote