THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Best bullet weight for 1:14 f/ 22-250

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best bullet weight for 1:14 f/ 22-250
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Would 55gr be better than lets say 50gr for 1
:14 twist? for 22-250.
Actual exp. please.

Posts: 78 | Location: In the woods of PA. | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
About 40 years ago I began a love affair with the .22/250 and woodchucks. The best performance for me at that time was with the Hornady 53 grain HP's. I would think that that approximate bullet weight (52/53) would be about optimal, though the 55 grain Nosler BT must be nice in the field.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
most writers feel that a 50 grain bullet is best suited for the 1:14 twist in 22-250's. my rifle likes that weight and lighter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
After much experimentation with my 14 twist Cooper, I am using the 52 grain bullets. Not only do they give great accuracy, I like the combination of velocity and BC I get with them. I shot JLK 52 gr. LD's until they sold out and now the bullets are not so easy to get. I am currently using the Hornady A-Max's at around 3800 fps and .5 moa groups.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best thing is that there are a zillion 50 to 55 grain bullets on the market that just perform great in the 22.250....

I don't think their is a BEST choice for the caliber.. just maybe a better choice for one load and rifle over another one maybe...

But I think it would be harder to run down a bad choice that it is to pick a BEST choice...

That is why the round is so popular.. it works!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I have had 2 1:14 Remington 22-250's (I shoot a 1:12 now). Both shot everything from 40 gr. to 55 gr. bullets just fine-MOA or better. For coyotes, the go to bullet was the 55 gr. Sierra #1365 SBT. Pick the ones you like best for the types of shooting you will be doing and work up loads for them.

.........not really rocket science....too easy to overthink a lot of this.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the 50gr Sierra BlitzKing with a stiff dose of Varget in my 22-250 with great results.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get good accuracy from the 55 grain Sierra HPBT's in my 22-250, which has a 1-14 twist barrel. 32.6 grains of Benchmark with that bullet and Federal 210M primers puts three shots into a 1/4" group at 100 yards. That rifle/load combo is the most accurate of all of my 22 Centerfire rifles, which includes a 22 Hornet, 222, 223 and a 22 BR.
I tried several other powder and bullet loads in my 22-250, and the one above was head and shoulders above the rest. H-380, which was developed for the 22-250, didn't perform at all, with any bullet.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
too easy to overthink a lot of this.

I like that statement... shows plain old Texas common sense! thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cobrad:
After much experimentation with my 14 twist Cooper, I am using the 52 grain bullets. Not only do they give great accuracy, I like the combination of velocity and BC I get with them. I shot JLK 52 gr. LD's until they sold out and now the bullets are not so easy to get. I am currently using the Hornady A-Max's at around 3800 fps and .5 moa groups.

Brad-- the JLK's are back up and running. Check 'em out right here--

www.swampworks.com

52 BC-.302

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve, last time I checked with them they were having a die problem and were not yet producing the 52's.
I did extensive research with this bullet and found them to be extremely accurate and the highest BC bullet to be had for a 14 twist barrel. At 650 yards I saw 2 MOA less drop with this bullet than with the 50 gr NBT. I also shot the JLK into a 2.25" five-shot group at 650. You fella's interested in maximizing the range with these barrels should give these bullets a try.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
I like that statement... shows plain old Texas common sense! thumb[/QUOTE]

Sounds like an oxymoron to me. stirroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
......and that from someone in California??? Cool

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sscoyote:
quote:

Brad-- the JLK's are back up and running. Check 'em out right here--

www.swampworks.com

52 BC-.302

sscoyote,

Where can I buy some of the JLK bullets? I tried the link and it doesn't work for me; maybe my computer. Do you have a phone number and address?

Thanks,

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
DMB, their ph.# is 417-831-2309. The link worked fine for me. Maybe your computer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
DMB, their ph.# is 417-831-2309. The link worked fine for me. Maybe your computer.

Thanks for the info!!!

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always liked 50s over 55s in my 1-14" 22/250s.
50g Ballistic tip and enough Varget for 3800fps is a hard load to beat on coyotes or squirrels.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote