THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Winchester M70 Classic Ultimate Shadow Stainless

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester M70 Classic Ultimate Shadow Stainless
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted
This rifle is one of the choices I've narrowed down as my walk around Varminter. I like the idea of having my predator gun in a larger calibre than the 17,20, and 22's, and this one offers 25WSSM, a good choice for big wolves and cougers. My other choice, and would be #1, is the Remington M700 Light Varmint Stainless. I now see they are offering it in 7mm08. Ontil now, I thought the 22-250 was the heaviest hitter they offered it in. I would much rather the 243 Win or 6mm Rem in a light wieght rifle for this application.

The Win US in this calibre is listed at 6 lbs with a 22" barrel. The type of predator hunting I'll be doing in this neck of the woods will have me walking fence lines, and walking into cuts against knee deep snow. To add to the burden, I'll be wearing bulky clothing and may have to pack out critters. I sold my snow mobile darn it!! Anyways, this is why I'm not looking at any of the heavy barreled varminters.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Win US?

I've heard that Browning and Winchester are now produced at the factory side by side. True? I know the companies have incorperated.

I took my friend's Win M70 Supergrade to a smith to have him stone and turn down the trigger to 3lbs. He said they are the same triggers as the A-Bolts? I know I'm not very impressed with the triggers on my two A-Bolts. When we got his SG back, the trigger was nice and light but I noticed considerable creep still. Is it worth getting work done to the existing triggers on Winnies or would I be better off just replacing it with a aftermarket trigger. I'm strting to get awefully use to the crisp triggers on my two T3's, and am starting to get annoyed at creep on my other rifles.

I would probably get the stock of this rifle painted flat white also, except the grips of course.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
You may have better luck posting this in the gunsmithing forum.

From what I hear, Model 70 Win. triggers are usually very good, but the Ultimate Shadow model may be diff. than the usual classics.

For wolves, I have had great success with the .308 Winchester. I think for wolf and cougar hunting on foot, your choice of a light .243, 6mm or 7mm-08 would all work with proper bullets.