THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    .22 / .30 sabot loads for .30/06

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 / .30 sabot loads for .30/06
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted
All the data I can find seems to be for MAXIMUM velocity.

My goal is minimum recoil, for teaching my 7 year old son, and his mother, to shoot. I would like to duplicate .223 Rem. ballistics, i.e., 55 gr. @ 3100, 70 gr. @ 2700.

Any suggestions ??

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Wow, minimum velocity. That really throws a curve.
I load .308 w/sabots for .223 40 grainers. I haven't chrono'd them but they shoot almost like a laser beam.
I don't know what to tell you on a reduced load.Sounds like a good idea though.
There are fella's on this forum that work up(or down) reduced loads.
Try to post over in the reloading thread.
From experience,sabots shoot very well out of a clean barrel.They don't like copper at all.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep,

Those plastic Sobots react to copper fouled barels about like lead bullets do-not well..

Clean the bore thoroughly with a good copper solvent before shooting them..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea a little off topic here but who sells 30cal / 22cal sabots?

Posts: 206 | Location: Alberta ,Can | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ye gads, I didn't even know they were still being made. They never made much of an inroad in varmint hunting. I never found them to be very accurate, and they were rather expensive to boot. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wingnut---I have not used the sabots as I do have .22 cal centerfires. For that reason,I have not even priced them,but would seem to me with wife and son wanting to shoot,it would be better to get a .22 centerfire. I did train my grandson with .22 centerfires and he took his first deer at 9. At 11 I moved him up to .243 and he is 15 now--has gotten 3 this year and has gotten atleast one per year since he was 9. You wont get the ballistics you are looking for,but you will get the reduction in recoil and blast if you go to cast bullets in that 30-06.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote