THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    What scope for Varmint hunting?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What scope for Varmint hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
What rifle scopes are yall using for your Varmint/Predator hunting?

My Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .204 Ruger I am using a 3-9x40 Nikon with BDC reticle. I need to equip my new Ruger M77 Mark II VT in .220 Swift with a new scope but I haven't pulled the trigger on ordering one yet.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
most of mine are either 4-16 or 6-20

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
4-16 and 4.5-14 Nikons - mildot and wouldn't change them for anything

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4x16, 4x12 is about all you can reasonably use. Mirage becomes a factor as you go up. bigger isn't always better. I like to use the low end to find the varmint and then dial in on him.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of varmint, where, and when?

I use a much different scope for 400 yard prairie dogs in mid-day than for 60 yard coyotes by artificial light.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Very rarely do I shoot prairie dogs, I would set that rifle up for predator calling as well. I'm looking at Leupold and Nikons under $400

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 4-12X power range will give you enough magnification for long range stationary targets and still allow low enough magnification and attendant wide field of view for calling (if you're good/lucky and can bring them in close, that is Wink ). Within your price range you can buy either a Leupold VX-II or, if you can do without the little clicky sounds as you zero the scope, the VX-I will do exactly the same thing for you (despite all of the advertising hype).

Buy a Nikon when you need a camera. Buy a Leupold when you need an optical gunsight.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I'm more of a Canon guy myself Big Grin (5d mkII)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5-20X Leupold w/ varmint hunters reticle. If you don't want to spend that much, a Nikon 6-18x Buckmaster w/ mil dot (available only from Midway USA).

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
6.5-20X Leupold w/ varmint hunters reticle. If you don't want to spend that much, a Nikon 6-18x Buckmaster w/ mil dot (available only from Midway USA).

I've been eyeing that midway Nikon deal for the 6-18. Seems like it would be a good scope!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been eyeing that midway Nikon deal for the 6-18. Seems like it would be a good scope!

Have you ever looked at the sight picture of a Nikon scope, especially the low-end leader line like the "Buckmaster"? Well, take the cardboard tube out of a used up roll of paper towels and look through it. That will give you an idea of what it looks like.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:

Have you ever looked at the sight picture of a Nikon scope, especially the low-end leader line like the "Buckmaster"? Well, take the cardboard tube out of a used up roll of paper towels and look through it. That will give you an idea of what it looks like.

AMEN!! I am a huge Nikon camera guy, but the Buckmaster varmint scope I bought was terrible - it's just as Stonecreek described.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wolfhunter 2
posted Hide Post
I have a leoupold 4x12 fire dot on my 243 the one I use for night hunting coyotes over bait 7 coyotes 3 fox so far this season not really enough power if going to shoot p dogs but for low light this one works great Kevin

Posts: 155 | Location: mn | Registered: 08 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leupold 4.5-14X40AO LR, 30MM tube. Add the VHR, for the PD hunts.

Take THAT....Stoney!!! dancing

Friend Of The 17....and 20
Kevin

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post

A crow taken at 311 yards with a 204 Ruger whilst prone shooting out my front door.

The scope; a Leupold 2-7X which I've used on bunches of stuff.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Gullette:
Leupold 4.5-14X40AO LR, 30MM tube. Add the VHR, for the PD hunts.

Take THAT....Stoney!!! dancing

Friend Of The 17....and 20
Kevin

Bugle: Thats a great scope that Kevin recommends. I'll bet he'll spot you the extra $300 over your budget in order for you to buy it. (Right after he brushes a coat of brown latex paint over the stock on that O'brien to cover up all the squiggly grain and distracting fiddleback in its defective wood.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stone,

Budget....budget????....who the hell needs a stinkin' budget??!!

Bottom line: I learned, long ago,.....save a little longer, and get what YOU really want. Just my $0.02...

BTW....I'm running a bit low on latex paint. Do you have any oil-base....left over from YOUR stocks??!!!

Kevin nilly

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Currently made of unobtainium, the US Optics 6.5-30x58 was made as part of their custom scope program before the death of their founder John Williams. The scope shown here mounted on a 6.5-.308 Custome Model 70 was the perfect thing for PDs out to 700 or so with 100 grain Sierra Varmit HP.

The scope shown below or something very similar in a 25x scope is available in their current program.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Well, at the risk of being tarred and feathered and forcibly thrown off this section, I have a CZ .223 that I used mainly for jackals and slightly bigger varmints in RSA and I outfitted it with a Leupold 2-7X28 scope (I hear it's for rimfires).

I'd change it, but it looks so good, because it just matches the CZ 527 fullstock, and it really gets just about all the accuracy I can I think I can out of the rifle.

I am thinking of moving it to a 22 Hornet as a rabbit getter.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Personally I would not go any higher than 20x for pdogs and or ground hogs. The mirage would be too bad.
I think the best scope for long range critters is the Leupold 6.5-20x40 with the varmint hunters reticle.

Dave

One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
All my scopes are in the 15x range.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have a heavy barrelled Ruger 22/250 with a Nikon Monarch 5.5-15 (or is it a 5.5-16?)works great for prairie dogs and the like however for coyotes I often wish it had a 3-9 on it. When a coyote gets on the move that much scope isn't a help unless he's way out there.
I have 2 .223's that wear Leupold 3-9's and those work great.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 6 HB rifles from 204 to 22-250. They have scopes from 4-16 to 8-32. The reason I buy variable optic is I can go fron low powers to high power, all in one scope. Don't short yourself on the top end, you never know when you might need it. I hunt p-dogs and bait for coyotes. If you are looking for some fine optics at a moderate price, check out ALPEN apex scopes in 6-24x50 30 mm tube.(about $350)

Posts: 42 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Out west we usually use variable with 16 to 24X top ends for long distance varminting. my medium range guns use variables with 12 to 14X on the top end.

I use Nightforce, Leupold, Burris and Weaver scopes with Mildots, Varminter or target dot reticles.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok I'll be the wierd one here. I have 4.5-14 springfield, 4-12 leupold,and a straight 12 leupold. And an older simmons 2.8-10. And I believe the simmons is the best of the bunch.

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From now on my go-to colony varmint scope from a stationary position is gonna' be the Horus Vision Predator 8-26x scope with H-70 reticle. I have 2 of these now and probably won't need another, since i don't do as much prairie dog shooting as i once did.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a Monarch in the 2.5-10x42 with the BDC reticle? It has the great field of view at 2.5x but will give you everything you will need on the upper end at 10x. I believe it's a terrific hunting scope and the BCC reticle will allow you for longer distance holds.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like a 10x. Mind you, I don't praire dogs (did it once and it did not sit well with me) just groundhogs here back east. No fiddling with the power selector and really good light transmission and durability. I have one of the older Leupold MkIV scopes. Think it is perfect for hunting groundhogs if a person has access to a chronograph and can figure out the G7 ballistic coefficient of their bullet and plug it into a good (free) online ballistics program. Once you get the constants correct, the math is so true to the paper.

I just find magnification has a pretty quick to find point of diminshing returns. If the groudhog is less skinny than the crosshairs, he stands a pretty good chance of having a short afternoon.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Idaho I would not use anything more than a 4x12, Rock Chucks can be close or way out yonder, and mostly we shoot over the hood of the pickup off bags and the motor heat plays havoc with powerful scopes and so does my beating heart!!I tried a 16X and didn't like it at all. I like to walk and shoot chucks on ocassions...also my chuck guns, a couple of 222 Remingtons, one with a 6X Lyman and the other, a 600 has a 4X Leupold, and a custom sako 6x45 are used on larger varmints like coyotes, Bobcats, and looks like wolves in the future..My 6x45 has a 3x9 compact and it works fine and I use it for Pronghorn and deer on ocassion. Over the years I have progressively gone to less power for whatever reason, mostly because I have never need more power.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot with nothing less than 6x or more than 32x- that said most of the scopes are used somewhere between 10-14x, good optical quality and adjustable parallax are just as important as the power of the scope. I also feel that it is very important to be able to see the impact of the shot, if a miss so you can make the correction and a hit so you can enjoy the reason you are there in the first place.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane,
You make a good point as to why your there in the first place..The varies from hunter to hunter, shooter to shooter whichever the case may be...

I have several dyed in the wool varmint hunting friends that take a stand and use lots of power in scope and gun, the keep records of how long a string they can get without a miss and they are gooooood! They enjoy..

I, on the other hand kinda prefer to walk the rimrock of the Snake River Canyon taking shots off hand at scurrying chucks or running Jacks on top..I like the 222 and any scope that one would normally use on deer like a 4X or at most a 8X and have used a 4x12 varible at times..My kill runs are pretty lame by comparison, but it does prepare me for deer and elk season, and my trips to Africa...If I miss one, its no big deal as their are many in this area, and shooting gets hot and heavy at times. Also its perfect for shooting them out my Kitchen window when moms in town! tu2

Varmint hunting in most instances is about enjoyment, and however one does it is fine as long as he/she enjoys.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I had to choose one it would be 4-16. I'm currently using a 4-16 Schmidt Bender on a custom long range rig for chucks. So far it's working good out to about 1400 yards. I have a Nightforce 2.5-10 on a light weight .270 WSM that has been knocking the whistle pigs down out to 600 yards... it's a great walking varmint/elk rifle. On my 22-250 prairie dog rifle I'm using an old IOR 6-24. Nice scope, but more than needed. As has already been said, usually mirage is so bad I'm shooting on 12-16 anyway.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you want to save a little money try the Hawke SF Varmit scope's I have one on my 221FB and have been impressed to say the least?
P.S. Their on sale at EABCO.COM for 179.99 (usually 199.99!

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was most happy using a Leupold 6.5 X 20 w/ varmint reticle for prairie dogs last week.
It is the same scope I use for small bore silhouette minus the fancy reticle.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried the Burris Eliminator?

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My personal preference is the leupold 4.5-14 and I can usually find them for under 400 used.

Posts: 14 | Location: MI | Registered: 10 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold VXII 4-12X40 AO works real well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
4-16x50 Schmidt and Bender with the number 8 varmint reticle.

FFP, finest scopes made, very expensive and worth every penny.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
I'm looking at Leupold and Nikons under $400

For under $400 I would look for a Leupold Vari-XIII 3.5X10-50MM. I am a big fan of Leupold's 50MM objective scopes and I shoot a bunch of varmits. I patrol a couple of 1500ac tomoato farms shooting coyotes, raccoon's, opossums, crows, skunks and hogs. Done in the evening and then into the night with lights I really feel I can tell a difference with the 50mm objective. You can pick them up for under $300 if you look around and I feel for the $$ it is the best scope for the job.

I have a Burris Fullfield II 4.5X14-42mm with ballistic plex that I like...It is on top of one of my 22-250's, the other has one of the 50mm leupolds. Even on shots in the 3-400yard range I am just a comfortable with the 10X as with the 14x.

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die

"Men don't change. The only thing that should surprise a man in his life is the history he doesn't know." Harry Truman

Posts: 451 | Location: West Coast of Florida | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burris Eliminator 3 Laserscope, I used the 2 on our last shoot and just got a 3 for the next one. Only one I'll use now.

Posts: 385 | Location: Brunswick, GA | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote