New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel break in
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do any of you varmint shooters go to the trouble of going through the barrel break in procedure? (Clean after each shot for 10 rounds, then after every 5 shots, etc.) Looking for pros and cons. jb

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'll do a similiar thin on factory tubes but on high dollar custom (hand lapped) barrels I'll just clean really well then shoot three shot groups and clean after each group for the first ten or so.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know several gunsmiths who indicate lapping a bore and taking the time to break in a barrel in counter productive....

A well known local gunsmith was telling me that he was talking to the president of PacNor Barrels.... and Chris was telling him that the barrels that are handlapped will actually not last as long and are usually not as accurate fresh out of the box....

The lapping smoothes the bore but loosen the tolerances level....

Why the gunsmith asked him why does Pac Nor offer then, and why do they offer the "more expensive" Super Match barrels... the response was " because that is what the shooting public wants, so we offer it!" For his own rifles... a regular match grade barrel is just fine....

What does that tell ya?

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post

Then why not under bore the barrel a few thousandths, and then lap the excess off? Would that be the best of both worlds?

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
barrel break in = overrated waste of time and materials and serves no real purpose.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gotta agree with skb2706 I always found if a barrel was worth a sh__ it would shoot well and if not, most anything I did was a lost cause. I had a friend that shot for the US palma team for years. Rudy kept a case of barrels under his bed, and if the barrel wouldn't shoot with his load he'd just toss it and screw on another one. I used to pick up the ones he'd throw, but I don't think I ever got one of them to shoot either. I know lots of guys do lots of load work, lapping work etc., but I sort of came around to Rudy's logical and switch the barrel or get rid of the gun and find another.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree more with Kreiger web site as to cleaning the first 5 rd or so due to the chambering.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree that the run in is a bit of a waste, and follow a partial procedure while sighting in and testing loads but usually only on varmint rifles.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys, I pretty much agree. I have never used the pain-staking method of barrel breakin. All of my rifle shoot under an 1" at a 100 and the ones that didn't are gone. I do clean my rifles everytime I shoot and let them soak. I have a new VSSF and started the barrel break-in but at round five decided it was way to much trouble. Thanks Jim

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
A well known local gunsmith was telling me that he was talking to the president of PacNor Barrels.... and Chris was telling him that the barrels that are handlapped will actually not last as long and are usually not as accurate fresh out of the box....

Hey Seafire,

Unless they are not lapping evenly, this makes absolutely no sense. Pac-Nor barrel are OK for varmint rifles, but I've never seen them win a benchrest match. Go to the Lilja Barrels web site (http://www.riflebarrels.com) and see how they lap their barrels. You'll notice that their technique does not mess with the tolerences as they compensate for it before and during lapping.

Regards,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Y'all show me a hammer forged barrel(all the biggies, Remington, Winchester, Browning, Ruger) that can even come close to the tolerances on a match grade barrel(Kreiger, Lilga, Shilen, Douglas) and I'll show you a FLUKE!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote