Find
Notify
Tools

5 weeks & counting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Montana
posted
Been loading ammo all weekend getting ready for my trip to Forsyth, MT for three days of the best fun you can have with your clothes on. That's right I am going P-dog shooting dancing
This will be my second trip and I can not wait to get there. Last year shot about 1500 rounds between my 22 K-Hornet and the 223. The K-hornet is one awesome round and a hoot to shoot. The 223 turns into a big boomer after so many rounds compared to the K-hornet. Anyway have puchased a range finder to verify some of those shots I made last year. That ground out there will fool you in a minute compared to NC.
You guys that live in P-dog country are blessed and I would be broke if I lived out there.

Could someone let me know the weather conditions in middle May for that area. Last year when we went it was August and 100degrees. I had two other people who where supposed to go but both backed out. So if someone wants to go let me know and I will check with the rancher and find out if it is OK. Rate is, was last year $175 day and he puts you up and feeds you at his place and takes you out to the towns.

banana

Wayne

Live everyday, like it was your last!!

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Man I wish was going with ya! Good luck cheers

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Montana;I live about 3 1/2 hours west of Forsyth and the weather has been up and down some really cold days where you dont see many sage rats.It has also been pretty wet,but by May it could be warm and sunny.Just take your best shot and be prepared for anything.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My trips to Montana, we shoot on people's land for free and are invited by others to shoot their property also, when they see us shooting PDogs on the property we are currently on.. happens every year so far!

Course, we have to find our own place to stay and feed ourselves.. but that is a lot cheaper, and also, is cheaper if you have friends who live in Montana...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/weather/rwis.shtml

What I do is watch the highway road cams closest to my destination. r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
Ray, neat site thanks

seafire, free would be much better but I am 2000 miles away, plus he picks up at the airport, lodges you and three meals a day plus takes you out to the towns. $175 a day is not bad in my book for that. But if you need some help have guns and will travel. Wink

Wayne

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
dayweather.com you can see what it is live.

Posts: 4 | Location: west kentucky where the rivers run north | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Montana; I don't think it sounds all that bad. There are 2 to 4 of us that go each year we spend about 125 ea on gas then 80 a night for lodging and that isn't counting food (we usually bring our own or buy something there and cook out).
I read on one of these boards that a guy said something like (them pilgrims that live in them thar areas that got them dogs sure are lucky all that fun and you don't even have to reset the target. I know I should say that some animal rights NUT will use it against us.

I do know a guy though that went to S.D. paid some ungodly amount something like 1500 for three days of shooting and he thought he was getting a good deal, food, lodging, travel to and from the dog towns they would even setup the benches (well for that kind of money I would hope to &*% they would). I told him I went for 4 days for about three hundred; let’s just say he has never when back. killpc

I don’t really like the idea about paying an outfitter though. Simple fact the more people pay these guys the more it shuts down private property for the rest of use.
2000 miles and that price I might have done it once but I couldn’t afford the airfare for many more. I’m glad I only have about 600 miles.
Anyway hope you have good shooting and keep the sun at your back.
Big Grin

Posts: 24 | Location: Des Moines, IA | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Montana:
Ray, neat site thanks

seafire, free would be much better but I am 2000 miles away, plus he picks up at the airport, lodges you and three meals a day plus takes you out to the towns. $175 a day is not bad in my book for that. But if you need some help have guns and will travel. Wink

Wayne

Well Wayne, it sounds like you are getting a good deal for your $175 per day...for all the extra services...

but there are a lot of ranchers in Montana that will let people shoot them for free....We have access to about 16 sections northwest of Billings owned by about 4 families that we regularly use...

We always have a few kids with us, and they really roll out the red carpet..especially for the kids...

Montana is full of a lot of really good people.....

My biggest expense for it each year is fuel at these prices...It is 1200 miles one way for me to Billings.. so usually a 2 day drive...but I really enjoy the drive as there is a lot of beautiful country to see between here and there.. and I take old routes and only hit the interstates when I need to make up time...

but my old 88 Toyota 4 Runner is kinda slow, for vehicles nowadays...even tho the engine and tranny were overhauled for the first time 57,000 miles ago... a vehicle with 487,000 miles on it, is pretty slow as vehicles go... thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
The guy I hunt with owns the land and outfits for antelope and muleys too. I would love to find some free hunting range up there. Maybe should invest an extra day or two and look around on this trip. The airfare last August was $550 this year I got it for $380 clap

So airfare and outfitter fees are about a grand, for me it seems a good value. Last year I spent $700 on ammo too, this year I have reloaded last years empty's. I expect the whole trip to cost about $1300.

I would like to thank everyone for chiming in, those couple of weather sites are neat.

Hope everyone has a blast this year and shoots straight.

Wayne