Notify
Tools

22-250 AI
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted
I'm looking at a 22-250 AI.

Anybody have any experience with it? Am I going to have to replace the barrel every 100 rounds?

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You can expect as much barrel life, and velocity as any 220 Swift.
Shoot them hot and the throat life really suffers. Shoot your ammo in short strings and allow plenty of cooling time and the barrel could last twice as long.

I shoot a 22-243AI that has about 500 rounds through it and no loss of accuracy...........yet.

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
The one I am looking at has a Gailard (SP?) barrel with a 1-14 twist...That seems a little slow to me????

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO the 1-14 will be fine if you use 55gr. or lighter bullets and keep the speed up. I have just rebarrelled a .22Cheetah for a friend with a Ted Gaillard 1-12. The previous barrel was put on in 1983 and had over 1300 rd. thru it. Had 1" throat erosion and velocity had dropped 150fs or more, no change in accuracy. Drives 50gr. bullets 4100 or so. I wouldn't be real afraid of erosion in AI if some sense is used.Mark

Posts: 109 | Location: Sask.Ca | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As the other guys have stated, if you keep the rate of fire down you will not have any problem with a 22-250 AI.

I have one sitting in the safe that has a Hart SS barrel on it. It has has had more than 4000 rounds down that barrel, all of them in the neighborhood of 4000 fps. It has seen a few prairie dog shoots and lots of ground squirrels and coyotes have been shot with it. I even used to shoot in some informal "varmint" target matches with it.

The bore is getting tired to be sure, but it still shoots pretty darned well.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote