Find
Notify
Tools

Corona beer?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Why do people buy and drink this? It's as bad as Budweiser, if not worse.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16378 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Personal taste!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
not really sure. I put it in the same caliber as 'light' beer, pretty much exists to get a buzz off of. If you honestly enjoy drinking beer it should be flavorful. I'm a bit partial to Belgian ales.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a good reason it's the same color as piss.

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to drink it as I liked the taste. Since the Mexican President came to the US some years back and made his negative comments on OUR gun laws I haven't had a single Mexican beer and never again will. I have also stopped vacationing and fishing in Mexico. As far As I am concerned Mexico can go to hell.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know more than a few "real" Mexicans. They consider it a step above cabra piss.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Heh, I mentioned Foster's Lager in the Aussie forum a few years back and it was quickly labeled "a fizzy drink for oiks" by one of the lads -- probably Bakes.
Here in Oregon, craft brew central, there are literally scores of locally brewed ales and IPAs to choose from.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16378 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was in Klamath Falls earlier this year. Stopped in at Klamath Basin Brewing Co.
Great beers! And good food, too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why?
Good marketing.
The TV tells me I will be cool and worldly if I drink Corona. Girls in bikinis will flock to me if I drink it.

Must buy Corona.......

M

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look folks, Beer Is Beer.

No matter the brand, there will be people that like something and there will be people that won't.

If your buying pick what ever you choose.

If someone else is buying either man up and tell them what you prefer to drink or shut up.

I like several beers, and I buy the ones I Like and if someone is with me and they do not like my choice, then they can buy what they like or do without.

Ain't my problem!

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I never cared for Corona. Back in the 70's when we went to Mexico we ordered Carta Blanca as it was the only one that used any form of hygeine in its mfg.On an additional addendum I had a friend that went to work in Algeria in 1980. He went to the local brewery + bought a case of bottled beer. When he took the bottles back for his next case he was screamed at because he had not washed out his bottles. Seems that was the practice there;you return clean bottles;all they do is fill them. That was the last beer he bought there.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Corona is not bad I like Dos Equis better or negro modela

one of us
posted Hide Post
Corona beer is very lightly flavored. I didn't like it from the first time I tried it about 50 years ago and my opinion of it hasn't improved with age. I throw Sol in there as well.

FWIW of the commonly available Mexican beers, I like Bohemia and Negro Modelo the best.

And, I think comparing Corona to Budweiser is insulting Budweiser. Bud is a significantly better beer IMO.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
calling corona beer is like calling my uncle in law's moonshine single malt whiskey beer

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
We could it least spell it right

it is Negra Modelo

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10058 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Gringos buy Corona because the name sounds like a Mexican beach, even though it means Crown. I remember drinking it for weeks and throughout 900 miles of Mexico and it never had a lime slice hanging off the mouth. When did that ridiculous practice start?

Modelo Especial is the number one beer in Mexico. It tastes like Corona to me and I dislike it just as much.

Negra Modelo is a wonderful beer, tied with a local micro-brew as my favorite.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
it is Negra Modelo

I dated a black model once. She was HOOOOOOOT!!

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Black Ballerina, she only dated me because I was financially stable, and she had bad luck with her own race with men.

I actually dumped her when I realized it wasn't going anywhere, and she was dating for dinner (like the 1920's type system).

Best looking woman I ever broke it off with, and probably one of the best looking women in my life peak condition Tyra Banks kind of outfit..

quote:
Originally posted by DOPPELGANGSTER:
quote:
it is Negra Modelo

I dated a black model once. She was HOOOOOOOT!!

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Heh, I mentioned Foster's Lager in the Aussie forum a few years back and it was quickly labeled "a fizzy drink for oiks" by one of the lads -- probably Bakes.
Here in Oregon, craft brew central, there are literally scores of locally brewed ales and IPAs to choose from.

Fosters is the shit beer of Australia. Kind of like Pabst Blue Ribbon, Molson or Corona.

If I remember right I drank Victoria Bitter most of the time.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Corona Extra has been around a LONG time and for years was little known in the U.S.A. Then came the time when everyone thought they should be unique. What better way to be unique than to drink a beer no one had ever heard of.

Now everyone is unique.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why the sudden attack on Corona? I've drank a few hundred gallons of it. Along with a few hundred gallons of Bud. And Miller Lite, Shiner, etc. I don't know where the lemon wedge got started but it's better than the artsy-fartsy craft beer with a orange slice. The few micro breweries I've been in, I didn't like the set up of the tap room. No sports TVs, no pool tables, no shuffle boards, just a few patrons sitting around with their tasseled loafers.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
Why the sudden attack on Corona? I've drank a few hundred gallons of it. Along with a few hundred gallons of Bud. And Miller Lite, Shiner, etc. I don't know where the lemon wedge got started but it's better than the artsy-fartsy craft beer with a orange slice. The few micro breweries I've been in, I didn't like the set up of the tap room. No sports TVs, no pool tables, no shuffle boards, just a few patrons sitting around with their tasseled loafers.

Well, they say true confessions are good for the soul, so you are probably going in the right direction. Wink

There are some things I just wouldn't admit as an adult male and drinking Corona by preference is among them. Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't say I stock Corona at home but if someone offered me a Corona, I wouldn't turn it down. The only beer I have ever run across that was undrinkable was up in Seattle. I bought a 6 pack of some stuff called Moosehead, if I remember correctly. It was a Canadian beer. My wife and I spent a week or so driving around Washington and Canada. When we turned the car in, there was still 4 cans in the cooler. thumbdown

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, if the only beer around was Corona, I'd be right there with you at the trough. Wink Also there is little bad to be said about free beer.

It's been a while since I've had Moosehead, but I remember it as being decent beer. Maybe you got a 6 pack that was too old or had been exposed to heat. Most widely distributed Canadian beers are pretty similar to my tastes. Of the majors, I probably like Molson Golden the best, but I don't think I had all of them but that's not for a lack of trying. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has been a while since I drank beer. I had more than my fair share early in life!

I thought Corona was pretty mild/weak flavored. Not something I would seek out.

I didn't care for Moosehead either. It has been so long ago now I don't remember why.

Given my preference I preferred something along the lines of Harp lager or beers from Dortmund.

I really started to cut back on my beer drinking when I was shooting hand thrown clay pigeons at the end of the day on the farm. I wasn't a great shot but, I got worse with the first beer.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strangely, no one has mention what a poor excuse for a beer Coors is.
When I kept a lot of beer at the house, I would always buy beer that hadn't been chilled and chill it myself as needed. Letting chilled beer get warm and then re-chilling it really makes for some skunky beer. When that happens, sometimes it was all I could do to choke down a half-dozen or so.

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
It's a neighborhood in Queens, nyc

quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
Gringos buy Corona because the name sounds like a Mexican beach, even though it means Crown. I remember drinking it for weeks and throughout 900 miles of Mexico and it never had a lime slice hanging off the mouth. When did that ridiculous practice start?

Modelo Especial is the number one beer in Mexico. It tastes like Corona to me and I dislike it just as much.

Negra Modelo is a wonderful beer, tied with a local micro-brew as my favorite.

Posts: 6391 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
Strangely, no one has mention what a poor excuse for a beer Coors is.
When I kept a lot of beer at the house, I would always buy beer that hadn't been chilled and chill it myself as needed. Letting chilled beer get warm and then re-chilling it really makes for some skunky beer. When that happens, sometimes it was all I could do to choke down a half-dozen or so.

Exactly like the beer we had in Vietnam. We whined about it, but skunk beer was better than no beer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What really makes for "skunky" beer is bottling it in clear or green bottles and exposing it to UV light...

This is Why Corona (clear bottles) and Heineken (Green bottles are the most frequently encountered "skunky beers"

Strangely not Miller who also bottles in clear glass, Miller uses refined hop oil as a flavoring instead of prolonged boiling with natural hops (either pressed pellets or "whole leaf") so Miller lacks the specific hop component that generates that skunky flavor.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That being the case, you'd think that the various beer companies would bottle so as to guard against that.

Aim for the exit hole

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
We had several choices as to which beers we could order . . .

BUT

We were so far down the supply line we could order anything, but if we wanted the supply truck/chopper to deliver something the it was best to order Carling Black Label.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a Corona this evening with dinner. One of the RN's that worked for my wife makes this killer batter for Fish Tacos, that requires about 4 oz of beer. The local convenience store sells it by the can. If I have to pay for it myself, Black Butte Porter Ale tops my list. That, or Haystack Black; both from microbreweries near Newport, OR.

Beer should be thick enough to cut with a knife and eat with a fork, and dark enough that it doesn't matter what color the bottle is.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My two favortie beers are, in order;
Moosehead and then Corona.

You know how you tell someone who likes Moosehead?

antler marks on his chest......

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What difference does it REALLY make?

If I am buying it, I buy what I like!

If someone else is buying, I will either drink it OR buy what I like.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being on the Canadian border we have most all the Canadian beers, I've given up trying to have a moosehead that wasn't skunky. Labatts is a good "light-ish" beer.
Any of the stouts taste like PBR strained through a chimney.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do they still brew Keith's (Keet's).

I had it in 1996 on my hunt in Newfoundland and in 2000 on my hunt in Nunavut, but from the best of my research, it is not imported into the states.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
heck with that, tell me where I can buy some Screech...

And sing me the Rubber Boot Song.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somewhere in our mess, we have a small bottle of Screech that we brought back.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are far worse beers than corona. I'm partial to hefeweizens during the summer....and the only one not made in Germany worth a damn is Kellerweis from Sierra Nevada. A few of the session IPAs are decent....Even Keel from Ballast Point is a stand out. Winter means porters and stouts.

When you're a swiller not a sipper you need to watch out for all the high abv hipster shit floating around.....too old to drink 15 of em anymore and feel human for the next week.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote