Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy guarantees
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of wwjmbd
posted
Does buying a rifle with an accuracy guarantee like a sako,tikka or weatherby actually give you a better chance of getting a tac driver than say buying a rem700 or a savage or browning with no accuracy guarantee?

Does the companys ever back their guarantees of accuracy up if the rifle will not group as good as the guarantee with the specified ammo or is it just a guarantee that the rifle acctualy did shoot a group of a certain size or less in the factory test facility?

There seems to be too many variables to factor in in including human error, temp, wind, ect for the companys to take any claims against the accuracy seriously whithout taking the rifle back to the test facility and retrying it their controlled conditions.

Some guarantee a 3 shot 1moa group some a 5 shot 1moa group and some a 3 shot 1,5moa group at 100yards. I would expect a sako with a 5 shot guarantee to be a better guarantee than a tikka with a 3 shot guarantee, or a weatherby with a 1.5moa guarantee but does this mean anything or is it more of a marketing gimmick than anything?

Posts: 159 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once was a duck called the "Kvack Kvack Duck", who was elusive, and could talk.

One day he flew down and landed next to a man, and went, "Kvack Kvack..."

The man said, "Are you the elusive Kvack Kvack Duck that can talk??"

The Kvack Kvack Duck replied, "...mebbe."

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
In a word....NO

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Ted, NO!

If your lucky and do a lot of reloading you might be able to make a factory gun shoot one hole groups. Only been able to accomplish it in 2 rifles in my life time.

My "tack" drivers have all been "built" by good gunsmith's

Have a nice 257 Weatherby for sale if thats what you are looking for, a "tack" driver! contact: timberfaller338@hotmail.com

Only if you do your part!

Posts: 17552 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An accuracy guarantee is just about the same as the guarantee that you can score with the chicks if you buy a Harley.

Reinforced by the guarantee, you might just try harder.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its like accuracy in resistors. Make a bunch and test them. Charge more for the tight ones.

Posts: 435 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
With Hill Country Rifles / accurizing services, etc.,yes. BUT you have to stick with the exact ammo they base the guarantee on. Is that still a "tack driver" if you can't find a load of your own, no.

Posts: 4854 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Ruger don't give any accuracy guarantee but I had a new LH .270 Hawkeye consistently shooting 1MOA with 90, 100, 130 & 150gr bullets after four sessions of load development - not much more than 200 rounds in total.
Even I was surprised how well it shot(even more surprised that I shot that well..... dancing].

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An accuracy guarantee is just about the same as the guarantee that you can score with the chicks if you buy a Harley.

-never needed one...

Make a bunch and test them. Charge more for the tight ones.

-now yer talkin'...

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jerry H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oddbod:
.............(even more surprised that I shot that well..... dancing].

Not as surprised as I was.

It shoots better now that it has been painted. hammering

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it's gone.

Posts: 44 | Location: East of Houston | Registered: 09 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry H:
quote:
Originally posted by Oddbod:
.............(even more surprised that I shot that well..... dancing].

Not as surprised as I was.

It shoots better now that it has been painted. hammering

Shup ratbreath. moon

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:

-never needed one...

I have a Honda....only Japanese girls take to me...

Make a bunch and test them. Charge more for the tight ones.

-now yer talkin'...

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of partsman
posted Hide Post
Greybulls system does.

"The problem with the gene pool is there is no lifeguard"

Posts: 171 | Location: Poco , B.C. Canada | Registered: 11 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
It's widely known that 1.5 moa is easily achievable with a little care and more than adequate for most large game hunting.

However, Weatherby will sell you ammunition sealed in a lucite block and only give you one round of each caliber they make!

Then there's the Weatherby guy that insists on shooting only factory ammunition. His middle name is POOR!

But I like their rifle guns patriot and I like tinkering with stuff. My Mark V is in .330 Dakota which is another .404 derivative. (Does that void my warranty?) rotflmo

.330 Dakota, 6.5-.308, .204 Ruger (.204-.222MAG)

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These "guarantees" like to stress "With factory ammo." Weatherby says "With Weatherby ammo."

I have a Remington 700 PSS with a Jewell trigger that shoots consistently sub MOA. But I'm custom loading the ammo, basically the same procedure used by the armorers with the Army and Marines. Ammo is an important factor in accuracy. A nice trigger helps too.

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothke:
I have a Remington 700 PSS with a Jewell trigger that shoots consistently sub MOA. But I'm custom loading the ammo, basically the same procedure used by the armorers with the Army and Marines. Ammo is an important factor in accuracy. A nice trigger helps too.

Amen, Brother! Then you know what you are looking at.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ran into a similer post a while back. That guy had bought a rifle that had a .5" guarantee. The rifle would do it to. But the buyer wasn't as good as the guy at the factory that fired the test group and wasn't about to admit it. The guy at the factory was shooting groups up to an hour a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year. He was very, very good. That along with rifles that seldom wouldn't hit that standard on the first try was why the guarantee was there.
Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most all are as accurate as claimed but it may take one or more of the following to get them to do it; glass bed the action, free float the barrel, adjust the trigger, lapp the bolt locking lugs and muzzle, free float the magazine box,and work up some reloads. If I left some thing out , tell ne about it .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not buy a rifle from an individual on GunBroker or elsewhere touting an accuracy garauntee as that is what sells guns.

I have sent multiple rifles to Hill country Rifles for accurizing and their garauntee has proven out each time for me.

Posts: 10175 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote