New
Find
Notify
Tools

The real Indiana Jones
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As I became more annoyed with "Adventurer's" threads at the Fedora Lounge, I decided to create yet another while inserting a smidgen of history. Here is the man whose name everyone recognizes, whose face few recognize.

Who is who? 1931
At his headquarters in Peking - 1925 1928 Central Asiatic Expedition gets under way
In the Gobi Desert
With Merin in the Gobi Route finding in the Gobi
Getting around in the Gobi
Successful Gobi antelope hunt Surveying the desert

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1923 First dinosaur eggs discovered At the Flaming Cliffs
Still with Olsen at the Flaming Cliffs - 1925
Excavating with Granger
Feeding his eagle chicks Relaxing in night camp

Roy Chapman Andrews, the real Indiana Jones.

Note: For those who might be interested, Andrews wore a Colt Official Police (41 frame) chambered for 38 Special. His preferred rifles were Savage Model 99 in 250-3000 and Mannlicher-Shoenauer in 6.5 x 54 mm Mannlicher. And while his body count was not as high as Indiana Jones', there was a body count in the Gobi. North-central China and Mongolia were dangerous places during the 1920s.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the way you have laid out the pictures...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
I like the way you have laid out the pictures...
I appreciate your kind remark.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read and reread his book's in elemetary school they were great read's -wonder if they are still in print or even in school librarys now ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mousegun1:
I read and reread his book's in elemetary school they were great read's -wonder if they are still in print or even in school librarys now ?
Perhaps no longer in print, but your library almost certainly has some by Mr. Chapman. You might look for a recently published book titled Dragon Hunter. It is Chapman's biography with emphasis on the Central Asiatic Expeditions 1921-1930.

Hope this helps.