Find
Notify
Tools

When did belts go out of style?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Ted68
posted
So whats the deal with belts? They used to be great, now dismissed. What happened? Looking at the half-box of cartridges that came with a rifle I just bought started ne wondering how the shift occured.

Is a tack driving old 300 Win Mag anyless so since the dawn of the beltless age a decade ago? Did a 7 Rem mag loose some of its abilities? Does headspacing off the rim, shoulder or the belt make any real difference? Or is it just media crap that we swallowed?

Posts: 131 | Location: Islamorada, Florida USA | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if style has anything to do with it. I do know that I'm a short range meat hunter that is recovering from "Magnumitis" and find that an initial MV of around 2500 to 2800 FPS does pretty much all I need from 25 cal. through .375 cal. To boot, very little meat damamge.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted68:
So whats the deal with belts? They used to be great, now dismissed. What happened?

Its call evolution ! Powders, bullets, etc.

Folks have realised what little is gained from all that bang-whallop. As well as seeing the flinches that developed in others along side their "Magnumitis".

Posts: 618 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have 2

Black for black shoes

Brown for brown shoes

My wife coached me on belts......

I sold off all of my magnums through the years as I just didn't like
the very small fps gain over my tried and true -06 and .270

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
quote:
I sold off all of my magnums through the years as I just didn't like
the very small fps gain over my tried and true -06 and .270

That's fine for deer but what about elk? Everybody know that an elk barely notices a shot from an '06 and a .270 just bounces off the side (if it doesn't get stuck in the fur first.)

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Damn elk I've killed must of died of natural causes......sure wasn't a mag on my shoulder

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my initial thought was belts are more in style now than ever, especially studded ones and colorfully printed and checkered ones..
at least according to little girl.
but y'all are discussing the other kind i would say they went out of style when the rimmed cases took over.

Posts: 4975 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
Is this about holdin yer pants up or headspacin yer magnum cartridges?

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ted68
posted Hide Post
My initial question was about the difference in how a cartridge is headspaced. But I did get some great fashion advice. You guys are a great source of knowledge on so many subjects. Thanks! Big Grin

Posts: 131 | Location: Islamorada, Florida USA | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I always got by with standard belts in my younger days. But it seems I am now approaching a situation that will eventually make me a user of magnum belts.

By the way, I just noticed your avatar. Funny.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
when my waistline left me.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Belts are not required should there be enough tension on the waist band. Big Grin

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
is that about halfway between the neck and the feet??????????????

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ted68
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was away from this forum for a while. The Rumsfeld avatar is dated. Here's another I used

posted Hide Post
Chastity belts appear to have gone out of vogue with the onset of sexual liberation.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.
Razz

Posts: 42 | Location: Wild and Wonderful New Mexico | Registered: 12 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted68:
So whats the deal with belts? They used to be great, now dismissed. What happened? Looking at the half-box of cartridges that came with a rifle I just bought started ne wondering how the shift occured.

Is a tack driving old 300 Win Mag anyless so since the dawn of the beltless age a decade ago? Did a 7 Rem mag loose some of its abilities? Does headspacing off the rim, shoulder or the belt make any real difference? Or is it just media crap that we swallowed?

I dunno, I bought the 7mm magnum for its point-blank range. The only thing that's changed is learning enough about antelope habits that I don't need the range much any longer. But now it's a habit, like my wife...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14375 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like belts--but most of them are in 308 , 30-06 or 50 Browning and I do hunt with other calibers.

dancing

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When Will started charging $160 for one in ARBAY. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote