Find
Notify
Tools

Sometimes karma works
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Yesterday at lunch I saw a couple of US servicemen (in uniform) in the same restaurant. I called our waitress over and told her that when the young men were done to bring their check to me and not to tell them.

When the guys got done eating the waitress told them that their check was taken care of and to have a nice day. They started asking around and one of the other waitresses told them that I had paid their check so they came over and thanked me. I told them to enjoy it and thanks for their service and we chatted a bit and they left.

Back at work I was feeling good about it and got a phone call from an old friend from out of state saying that he was in town and wanted to meet for drinks and dinner. Upshot of it was this guy had flown from New Jersey to Bakersfield, CA to ask me if I would take a Plant Manager's position for a large power plant in Mississippi (50-60 miles south of Memphis, Tennessee)

The position is for over $100K a year in salary plus perks, in an area with a cost of living over 15% cheaper than here.

Now I have to decide if I want to move to a "free state" or not. Is Mississippi a third world country?

Sometimes what goes around, comes around!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never been to a third world contry, but if you are 60 miles south of Memphis on the river, there are some areas that rival third world. Local small cities can be really nice IF you like small city or large town living. Also you would only be an hour from Memphis. You need to go visit before you committ. It sure isn't California!!

Posts: 64 | Location: MS & Louisiana | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Mississippi is real people. Not like Mexifornia. Good folks, good food, good hunting. thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I know they hunt in Mississippi. Just get your licence plates changed to Mississippi plates quickly.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Yesterday at lunch I saw a couple of US servicemen (in uniform) in the same restaurant. I called our waitress over and told her that when the young men were done to bring their check to me and not to tell them.

When the guys got done eating the waitress told them that their check was taken care of and to have a nice day. They started asking around and one of the other waitresses told them that I had paid their check so they came over and thanked me. I told them to enjoy it and thanks for their service and we chatted a bit and they left.

Back at work I was feeling good about it and got a phone call from an old friend from out of state saying that he was in town and wanted to meet for drinks and dinner. Upshot of it was this guy had flown from New Jersey to Bakersfield, CA to ask me if I would take a Plant Manager's position for a large power plant in Mississippi (50-60 miles south of Memphis, Tennessee)

The position is for over $100K a year in salary plus perks, in an area with a cost of living over 15% cheaper than here.

Now I have to decide if I want to move to a "free state" or not. Is Mississippi a third world country?

Sometimes what goes around, comes around!

Trying to get out of ol' Bako, Frank? Can't say I blame you these days. My wife and I are looking around too.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Well gee Frank,

Mississippi ain't that bad. There's decent hunting, a change of the seasons, humidity, and fewer people per square mile. The cost of living in Mississippi should be less than what it is in California so you're $100k will go farther in Mississippi than Cali. I think you would find it very different from So Cal, but not necessarily bad.

And frankly, for $100k + perks + benefits, I'd be asking why you weren't there already?? I know I'd damn sure be!

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obviously, this is all personal values. I'd do it in a minute! You will give up a great climate and neon signs. Period.

You will find nicer people, with fewer pretenses. Most are honest, hard workers. They can be careful around new folks so don't expect to be the communities center of attention until you prove yourself to be a worthy addition.

The difference in costs of housing will allow you to sell what you have and buy a really nice place, likely with a good bit of land, and still have money left over. Or better yet, buy the land you want and build the house you want!

The fishing and hunting are great, the insects aren't so great but they can be delt with. Get yourself a bass boat and a 4x4 truck to pull it and haul your ATV for hunting season.

With that salary, you can live like a king so long as you stay out of the "big" cities, and that's pretty easy!

And keep doing good for our troops.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a North MS native of about 110 miles south of Memphis. I have done a fair amount of visiting to many of our larger urban areas over the years. Just like anything else, there are many pros and cons to any place you choose to live. I can say one thing, thank God for rural America. Most of the sterotypical images you have of MS are not true (but some are). I think that you would not be disappointed if you like a less hectic less stressful lifestyle.
Jeff

No people in history have ever
survived who thought they could protect their freedom by making themselves
inoffensive to their enemies.

Posts: 1689 | Location: North MS U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there's a beach in Biloxi, and the whitest sand you ever saw. Alabama and it's 129 day deer season, with one of each or two does per day is just a few miles away. I'd be gone by now.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mississippi's God's country. That's a no-brainer to move from Kalifornia.