New
Find
Notify
Tools

VIDEO OF SHARK JUMPING OVER SURFER
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
Good find!

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I surfed Texas, California and the Pacific Coast of Mexico during the period from 1966 to 1975.

One time I was surfing hurricane swells on the Boca Chica side, Mexico across from the channel at Port Isabel, Tx. Probably 200 yds. offshore. I had a tarpon I swear that was 6' long come out of the water and flop down within five feet or so of me and my board. I don't think I even climbed off my board to clean out my bags.

Surfed San Blas in 1971. Back then you could go to a pharmacy and tell the guy behind a counter you had a stomach ache. He would give you as many of the "Mexican Mandrex" (Quaalude)as you wanted. One idot took several before he went out surfing. I wasn't in the water at the time, but evidently he must have fallen asleep or passed out on his board. Anyway a shark ate most of him. He washed up on shore. The Mexicans hauled him into town and laid him out in a room. After a couple days he was getting pretty ripe.

Surfing in Puerto Escondido in 1975 was a trip. The men there at that time made there living processing shark liver oil. They would have gill nets attached to 55 gallon drums. Used dug-out canoes with 40 hp. Johnson outboards attached to go out in the mornings and deploy the gill nets. Sharks would get tangled up and drown. In the evening they would go back out and haul them in. Usually would have to get out of the water 3 or four times a day. It flat freaks one to see a large dorsal fin about 20 yds. away when your eyeballs are about 12" off the water.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote