Find
Notify
Tools

Finding the right Scotch?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted
I recently started trying different Scotches. I started with Glenlivet 12 and thought it was good, but not extremely smooth. Then I tried Glenfiddich 15. Very tasty much more smooth. I bought Lagavulin 16 last night and tried it. Probably the smoothest of the 3, but the taste just isn't for me! I read the last thread on Scotch and am wondering if Scotches from the same area tend to taste similar? Since Lagavulin is from Islay should I stay away from others from this area? Since I like Glenlivet and Glenfiddich both from the highlands should I look for others from the highlands? What other Scotches might I like from my findings thus far?

Brett

PS. Anyone who lives in Anchorage or the Anchorage area is welcome to have the rest of the Lagavulin if they like. I will not be drinking it. A cross between peat moss and black olives! Not a hit with me!

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Try Laphroaig, very smokey and peaty. Nice neat with a splash of water.

Mike

Posts: 21227 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
I think that if Lagavulin is too much for him Laphroaig will be a bit much as well.

Try the Lowland single malts, the older the better as your love of a smooth tipple equals fine but expensive taste!

Regards,

GH

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett,

yup, scots whisky all differ as to where they are made. Islay don't rock my boat either.

Knowing you liked the Glennfiddich, next time pick up a bottle of Balvenie 12. Their 10-yr old is incredible for a ten by the way.

Welcome to the addicted class.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nkonka:
Brett,

Knowing you liked the Glennfiddich, next time pick up a bottle of Balvenie 12. Their 10-yr old is incredible for a ten by the way.

+1 on the Balvenie 10

The 15 yr is even better

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try scapia - its from the northern most island. only 1 distillery there and it was broken down. rather than going out of business the people rebuilt it a little bit agol I can't rmemeber the brands but one is about $60-65 a bottle and the other about half that & just as good. its a litter bodies scotch, but quite mellow and far more tase than the inlands versions. so far as where they are made there are a bunch of distilleries on lslay island, and while the results are similar, the grain blends differ. they all share the peaty taste because they are all filtered through peat. as you go inland you run out of peat so filtration methods change. the other thing you might try is the 10 or 12 year old famous grouse. its a blend & for some reason or another some think blends aren't as good as single malts, but this one is. by the way much of the whole single malt thing is simple marketing. there are very sound reasons for blends

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems like you are going about finding the right Scotch with a workable plan. I did not pick up drinking single malt until my late 20's and started with the Glens. I soon migrated to Balvenie and Oban; I am fortunate in that my wife and friends enjoy them also.

I encourage you to make a tradition for yourself of fine Scotch, good friends, and great memories. I only use a fine Scotch for my annual toast to absent comrades at 12:01:01 January First; it is a tradition observed by those of us remaning.

Posts: 222 | Location: Central Iowa | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Friends-

I like the Speysides myself. They seem to have some flavor to them while the Highlands seem to taste like distilled oak (I know that they are aged in oak casks). The Highlands scotches seem to intensify the oak flavor, a la Macallan.

The speysides seem to have complex flavors. I really like the Glenrothes.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the information. I mistakently thought Glenfiddich and Glenlevit where highland, but they're speyside. I did a little research and compiled a list of distillers and areas. I tend to not like oaky wines, so I think I'll hold off the highland scotches for the moment. I'm going to keep exploring the speysides. Here's my list and findings so far:

Tried
Glenlivet 12 year – Had a good taste, but medium smoothness.
Glendfiddich 15 year – Was much smoother that Glenlivet 12 with fruity aromas. Very nice taste!
Lagavulin 16 year – Very smooth, but EXTREMELY peaty! Not my favorite! Avoid scotch from Islay!
Macallan 12 year - Very nice taste and very smooth. Smoothness comparable to Glenfiddich 15, but more smokey than fruity taste.

Campbeltown
Springbank (Springbank, Hazelburn, Longrow), Glengyle, Glen Scotia

Highland (More oaky taste.)
Aberfeldy, Allt-a-Bhainne, An Cnoc, Ardmore, Balbair, Ben Nevis, Benrinnes, Blair Athol, Clynelish, Dallas Dhu, Dalmore, Dalwhinnie, Deanston, Drumguish, Edradour, Glen Albyn, Glencadam, Glen Deveron, Glen Eden, Glen Garioch, Glengoyne, Glenmorangie, Singleton of Glen Ord, Glenturret, Imperial, Inchgower, Inverarity, Loch Dhu, Loch Lomond, Loch Morar, Macphail’s, Mannochmore, McClelland’s, Millburn, Oban, Old Pulteney, Royal Brackla, Royal Lochnagar, Singleton, Teaninich, Tomatin, Tullibardine

Island
Arran, Highland Park, Isle of Jura, Scapa, Talisker, Tobermory (Tobermory, Ledaig)

Islay (AVOID!!!)
Ardbeg, Bowmore, Bruichladdich, Bunnahabhain, Coal lla, Kilchoman, Lagavulin, Laphoage, Port Charlotte

Lowland
Auchentoshan, Bladnoch, Glenkinchie
Still Available, but not distilled: Inverleven, Kinclaith, Ladyburn, Littlemill, Rosebank, St. Magdalene

Speyside (So far so good. Try more!!!)
Aberlour, Aultmore, Balmenach, Balvenie, Benriach, Benromach, Cardhu, Cragganmore, Dailuaine, Dufftown, Glendronach, Glendullan, Glenfarclas, Glenfiddich, Glen Grant, Glen Keith, Glenlivet, Glenrothes, Glentauchers, Glen Elgin, Glen Moray, Imperial, Inchgower, Knockando, Linkwood, Lismore, Longmorn, Macallan, McClelland’s Speyside, Miltonduff, Mortlach, Speyburn, Speyside, Strathisla, Tamnavulin, Tamdhu, Tomintoul, Tormore

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Anyone have any comments on general taste trends of Campbeltown, Island, and Lowland Scotches?

I still have the bottle of Lagavulin 16 for anyone in the Anchorage area who wants it. Just PM me. I had one drink from it (in a glass not from the bottle! Big Grin) and the rest is still there!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
do what I do: www.smwsa.com

nuff said

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett,

in the lowland's variety the GlenKinchie isn't too bad--actually nice.

In the Island's variety I think you'll find both Highland park and Talisker very nice. My preference leading to HP if it matters to ya.

Again, welcome. You'll be sorry. beer

djd

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
O.K. around here you cant buy fancy scotch wisky. What is a good garden variety "grocery store" scotch?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ted-

I would have to say, Chivas Regal and/or Dewars.

I personally think either or both have a more refined taste that that of J&B or Johnny Walker. But, that's my taste-buds.

Good luck.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett
I just started drinking scotch in the last few months. I learned the hard way that it is best to taste before buying. I personally like the Lagavulin 16, but recognize it is not for everyone.

I tried the Glenfiddich 12, 15 and 18 and liked the 15 the best of that lot.

I had a bottle of Laphroaig 10 year that was so smokey that it brought back memories of a wood stove I used in a cabin in the interior of Alaska. I gave that away to a friend from Wasilla on New Years Eve.

If you like American whiskey you might want to start with a Speyside type Scotch. There is a very good single malt called "The Speyside" for about $38 that I buy here in Katy , TX

I like "Pinch" for a blended scotch.

A mild single malt Islay Scotch, one I am drinking as I type this is Bunnahabhain 12. It runs in the low $40 range. I'm on my second bottle and overall, I like it the best so far.

Scotch is an expensive taste to develop.....

I would gladly take the Lagavulin but, I likely will not be back to Alaska until summer time....

Cliff

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ammoloader:
Brett
I just started drinking scotch in the last few months. I learned the hard way that it is best to taste before buying. I personally like the Lagavulin 16, but recognize it is not for everyone.

I tried the Glenfiddich 12, 15 and 18 and liked the 15 the best of that lot.

I had a bottle of Laphroaig 10 year that was so smokey that it brought back memories of a wood stove I used in a cabin in the interior of Alaska. I gave that away to a friend from Wasilla on New Years Eve.

If you like American whiskey you might want to start with a Speyside type Scotch. There is a very good single malt called "The Speyside" for about $38 that I buy here in Katy , TX

I like "Pinch" for a blended scotch.

A mild single malt Islay Scotch, one I am drinking as I type this is Bunnahabhain 12. It runs in the low $40 range. I'm on my second bottle and overall, I like it the best so far.

Scotch is an expensive taste to develop.....

I would gladly take the Lagavulin but, I likely will not be back to Alaska until summer time....

Cliff

Isn't too cheap! I was pissed about $60 for the Lagavulin, so I went out and bought Macallan 12 today! I lucked out on that one. Would your friend in Wasilla take the Lagavulin?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nkonka:
Brett,

in the lowland's variety the GlenKinchie isn't too bad--actually nice.

In the Island's variety I think you'll find both Highland park and Talisker very nice. My preference leading to HP if it matters to ya.

Again, welcome. You'll be sorry. beer

djd

Thanks Dan. I already am sorry! I made a $60 mistake yesterday and it pissed me off enough to buy a $54 bottle today, but today was ohhhh sooooo goooood! Mmmmmmmmm! .......and for the longest time I was happy with gin! Good gin is such a bargain!!! Sapphire, Tangare, Magellan, Citadell!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As everyone has said, Scotch is very personal as to what you like. Personnaly, I prefer the distillers of Islay and Lagavulin is one of my favorites, though at $89 per bottle I don't buy it too often. The others you have mentioned are good, but give me that peaty, smokey flavor from the Islay distillers anyday. The only one I wasn't particularly fond of was a 10 year (or was it 12) Bowmore...to much iodine flavor for me, but with the older Bowmore's this doesn't seem to be the case.

Wish I was close to your location, would love to take the Lagavulin off your hands!!!!

Posts: 109 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

There's no "splash of water" in "neat." The whole concept behind "neat" is liquor poured straight out of the bottle. Seems like a minor but fundamental point, inasmuch as we're talking liquor and all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett
My Wasilla friend lives down here now. He was the one that introduced me to Lagavulin 16. It cost $84 here in TX.

BTW, I think your description of Lagavulin was accurate, olives and smokey peat!

Try The Speyside if you can find it, I liked it better than the Macallan 15(?) I tried and it's cheaper.....

Cliff
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0X0:
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

There's no "splash of water" in "neat." The whole concept behind "neat" is liquor poured straight out of the bottle. Seems like a minor but fundamental point, inasmuch as we're talking liquor and all.

My bad. I misspoke and you are absolutely correct. How about, "Nice without ice and a splash of water."

Mike

Posts: 21227 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
ted thorn: What is a good garden variety "grocery store" scotch?

Famous Grouse

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to think of it as a refined quest, somewhat akin to finding the right woman. No matter how you approach it, it's going to cost alot and you are going to find good, ok and nasty and only you can decide which one is for you.
On the $$ end, I think Glenlivet 21 is rich and wonderful, the 18 fantastic and 12 pretty darn good. I did not like the Glenlivet Naurria. Glenfiddich 12 is good, but did not think the 15 was much of an upgrade. Hyde Park 12 is good. Balvenie Cherry oak 17 was rich and wonderful. My buds don't care for the Mcallans.
Less $$--Famous Grouse is pretty good. Dewars is pretty good. J&B green bottle is pretty good, but I tried a more $$$ upgrade of J&B and thought it was a waste of $$. If you want a little more edge on your scotch, try Johnnie Walker red. The black is smoother. Chivas has any oily texture to me.
For a little scotch humor we bought a bottle of sheep dip--tasted much better than it's name!
DO NOT EVER try 12 knaves, unless you like the taste of diesel--nasty w/ no redeeming qualities.
Good luck on your quest.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
One way to try a few for a lower price is the Classic Malt Collection or something like that. Of course by "Classic" they mean are marketing ploy. 6 airplane sized bottles different types in a set. I remember Lagavulin was the "Classic" Islay, other than that I can't remember what the other classics from other regions were.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
aliveincc: I like to think of it as a refined quest, somewhat akin to finding the right woman. No matter how you approach it, it's going to cost alot and you are going to find good, ok and nasty--nasty w/ no redeeming qualities.

Good analogy.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett
After reading several recomendations I purchased some Highland Park 12 today that came with a sample bottle of Highland Park 18.

To my taste both were excellent, being very balanced between all the typical scotch flavors with a gentle smokey finish. The 18 was oily smooth.

Cliff

Cliff
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
A good read on the Scotch is "Scotland and its Whiskies" by Michael Jackson with photography by Harry Cory Wright. Chronicles a journey through the famous whiskey producing areas of Scotland with great photography and information on most of the famous whiskeys.

I favour Glenfiddichs myself. The 12 yr old for 'normal' drinking, the 15 yr old Solera for a flavour explosion and haul out the 21 yr old to impress, ha,ha.

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
My two havorites thus far are MaCallan 12 and Dalwinnie 15. Very smooth with a sweat and slight smokey taste.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Famous Grouse, 12 year old. Smooth and reasonable.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
As you have admitted publicly that you don't appreciate Lagavulin, you may want to consider shooting yourself as soon as possible.

Such a parting gesture would demonstrate at least a modicum of good taste, and might make up a wee bit for your utter failure as a true born man to appreciate the finest whisky on Earth.

If I were ever destitute, God forbid and forfend, I believe that I would suffer more for the lack of a dram of Lagavulin from time to time than I would for the paucity of food and want of shelter.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:

If I were ever destitute, God forbid and forfend, I believe that I would suffer more for the lack of a dram of Lagavulin from time to time than I would for the paucity of food and want of shelter.

Or even air...

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I found Michel Jackson's book on single malts & that was a great education. He wrote 3 editions I think before he died about a year ago. I think it is a compulsory for any single malt connoisseur.

Cheers

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aliveincc:
I like to think of it as a refined quest, somewhat akin to finding the right woman. No matter how you approach it, it's going to cost alot and you are going to find good, ok and nasty and only you can decide which one is for you.
On the $$ end, I think Glenlivet 21 is rich and wonderful, the 18 fantastic and 12 pretty darn good. I did not like the Glenlivet Naurria. Glenfiddich 12 is good, but did not think the 15 was much of an upgrade. Hyde Park 12 is good. Balvenie Cherry oak 17 was rich and wonderful. My buds don't care for the Mcallans.
Less $$--Famous Grouse is pretty good. Dewars is pretty good. J&B green bottle is pretty good, but I tried a more $$$ upgrade of J&B and thought it was a waste of $$. If you want a little more edge on your scotch, try Johnnie Walker red. The black is smoother. Chivas has any oily texture to me.
For a little scotch humor we bought a bottle of sheep dip--tasted much better than it's name!
DO NOT EVER try 12 knaves, unless you like the taste of diesel--nasty w/ no redeeming qualities.
Good luck on your quest.

It is sacrilege to compare blended whiskey with single malts! ...so say the experts.

How ever, I do enjoy some of the fine blends as well.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto's on "The Bird" !

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a scotch tast'n chart off the Talisker site.

http://www.taliskerwhisky.com/...sets/Flavour_Map.pdf

Posts: 104 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 24 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
As you have admitted publicly that you don't appreciate Lagavulin, you may want to consider shooting yourself as soon as possible.

Such a parting gesture would demonstrate at least a modicum of good taste, and might make up a wee bit for your utter failure as a true born man to appreciate the finest whisky on Earth.

Big Grin

Sorry MR!!! Black olives mixed with peat moss just isn't my thing!!! I will say this though....it was hands down the smoothest Scotch I've tried yet.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
NE450#2 introduced me to this

I don't remember for sure but I think we got it at the warehouse.
What the hell. I'll try the Lagavulin. Hate seeing it go to wast.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Scotch in Gaelic means "Breath of Life". Legend has it if you drink the proper amount every day, you'll live forever! I'm still looking for the "proper" amount.

The word is Whisky, without an "e". There are those who drink it straight, like my son-in-law from Glasgow. I prefer mine with a bit of "branch water". When you add water, the whisky come alive and releases all the little subtle flavors that went into it's production. I also like mine over a bit of ice, but Purists want to burn me at the stake! LOL! Hey it's your Whisky, drink like you like it.

Scotch Whisky I admire-

Inchmurrin 28 year old- Best whisky I've tasted. Over a bit of ice, it just gets better sip after sip.

Knockandu 18 year old- Means "Little black hillock" My first single malt. Still a favorite. It is almost sweet at the finish.

Glengoyne 17 year old-Oaky smokey, awesome

Glen Garioch 15 year old- smooth malty

Longmorn 15 year old- Very smooth

Glenturret- In the small village of Crief Scotland stands Scotland's "Oldest" distillery. The majority of the product produced is used in the manufacture of Scotland's best selling "Blended" whisky- "The Famous Grouse Brand". If you haven't tried TFGB you owe it to yourself to buy a bottle.

If you are interested click on this link Whisky.com It is a great source and has a wonderful history of the whiskies.

To your Good Health, Gentlemen!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I'm with you on the ice Rusty! I just put tape on my gentle parts to keep them from falling off for my sins! I tried Talisker. Not so good. I would put it right up there with Lagavulin......not good.

By and far my 3 favorites are Dalwhinnie 15, McCallan 12, and Oban 14.

Balvenie 12 double wood and Glenfiddich 15 get an honorable mention.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of Lissauer
posted Hide Post
One of the smoothest scotches I have ever had is Springbank, is't in the $60/bottle range

Posts: 28 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: 24 May 2008Reply With Quote