Find
Notify
Tools

The wood chipper...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted
So Karla has been wanting a wood chipper for about 10 years now and so when i stumbled across one on craiglist I thought it'd be the perfect birthday present for my loving wife.

I should've known better when I read the ad and the guy misspelled 'chepper' and said the 'cab' was just rebuilt, but I called him anyway. He sounded nice on the phone and he gave me the lowdown on the wood chipper, said it ran good and everything. Then tonight when I got off work I called Josh again and we arranged a time to come and look at it.

He was hauling cars to the local junk yard in his tow truck when we showed up, so we got to his trailer house before he did. I walked up to the front door and knocked and a bunch of diaper clad kids and a heavy set young lady answered the door with a barky little dog in her arms. I said, 'is josh home?' and she said 'NOPE! Josh don't live here anymore!' I'm like, I just talked to josh on the phone, and she said 'I just talked to him too and HE DON't LIVE HERE ANY MORE!!! But you can stick around and wait for him, he'll probly stop by to get his shit!' then slammed the door and left me standing there on the steps with a barky little dog barking and nipping at me.

At this point Karla said we should just go, but I said just hold on and see if josh shows up. After about 5 minutes I called josh and he said he was just entering the trailer park and he'd be there in about 2 minutes. So old joshy rolls in and takes me around back of the trailer to one of those tin shacks that you see behind trialers that people keep lawn mowers and junk in. There amongst a bunch of broken down lawn mowers and beat up snowmobiles was a pretty nice looking wood chipper. He was asking $100 for it and so I asked him to start it. Sure enough, second pull she fires off. Only problem it wouldn't stay running for long. He struggled and tinkered for about ten minutes and I said, 'So do you still want a hundie for it?' to which he said, 'I'll take sixty' I'm like, 'Dude, I'll give you forty for it and that's probably way more than I should give you'.

So he pulled and cranked on it for five more minutes and threw his hands up and said 'fine, forty dollars and it's yours'. He looked totally defeated.

We loaded it up in the Toyota and I shook his hand and headed down the road with Karla's new chipper. Josh actually seemed like some guy that was down on his luck and really having a bad day and to make matters worse his chipper wouldn't run, we felt like we should've bought him supper or some beer or something but instead left him standing in front of his forty year old avacado green Rollohome getting ready to go in and face his wife's wrath. So Happy Birthday Karla, you finally got your 'chepper' and to the rest of you, if I suddenly show up missing, look in the mulch!

-RL

==============================================================================================================
Disclaimer: This story is 100% true, based on actual events.
==============================================================================================================
Here's the craigslist ad:

wood chepper - $100 (camp douglas)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-06-07, 11:02PM CDT
Reply to: sale-*****************@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have a wood chepper i would like to sale. it has 8 hp motor on it . u can pull it behind a four wheeler or whot ever u what to pull it with it runs real good i just put a new cab kit in last summer just give me a call my name is josh #608 *** **** thanks for looking

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 2xxxxxxxxx6

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
You need to play this song while reading my story:

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, that's enough to make me feel a lot better. Thanks.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lifes a bitch sometimes!!!

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
I guess we've all had days like that. That's why Jack Daniels was invented.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody think to go check on Josh? He may be in a world of hurt!!!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, at least we know his old lady didn't feed his sorry butt into that "chepper" with a new cab kit! Big Grin Greg

"These are the times that try mens souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman." Thomas Paine winter of 1776

Posts: 115 | Location: Wasilla Alaska | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote