New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tour de France --
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been following this race since about 1962. There was a time when I expected one day to ride in it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothke:
I've been following this race since about 1962. There was a time when I expected one day to ride in it.

You are definitely ahead of me in both experience and talent. I've only been following the Tour since around 1974. I have followed it most every year since then. At present it is about the only sporting event that I follow.

I was never good enough to even consider riding at that level. At my best I couldn't' keep up a 27 mph pace for very long even with a tail wind. My best "century" (one hundred mile race) was 5 hours and 15 minutes with stops. Although not on flat land, it had nothing like the Alps. Those tour guys are animals.

It has been on Versus the last few years on cable. I just downloaded the Cyclingnews 2011 app on my I-phone so I can follow it online.

Any other cycling nuts out there other than Rothke and I. It starts tomorrow and goes through the 24th of the month. Three weeks, that's a long time to "keep it up".

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We're not subscribed to the TV coverage, Speed or VS or whatever. I'll check on the WiFi to see what sort of access is available.

Now that Armstrong is not riding, or not "competitive" ABC is no longer covering the Tour. -- Like there's no interest in the US for this event or bicycle racing generally.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only been watching it for 17 years.

To this day I have trouble watching the downhills at those high speeds. I took a tumble at only 15 mph 9 months ago and have just now got over it.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rothke,
NBC Sports is covering it. Supposed to be programming both today and tomorrow.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/...vt4qkCFQpU7AodBmA9Xw

There are numerous links where you can check it out on the web. Just google "tour de france, 2011"
You will be amazed at what is out there about the tour.

here are a few links

cycling news.com
(they also have an app you can download to an Iphone to keep up with the the tour)

http://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/

http://www.letour.fr/2011/TDF/...and_depart_2011.html

http://www.sbnation.com/cyclin...overage-news-updates

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well there was a big crash due to a spectator getting in the way of the Peloton about 8 miles out. Alberto Contador, the winner of last year's tour got caught up in it and lost over a minute and may have lost the race today. It would be a bummer to have 22 days of cycling ahead of you and know that because of a twist of fate you are a minute behind. Also a bummer for him in that if the decision comes down that he was in violation of the rules in regards to doping, he could be stripped of his titles even if he won the Tour.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tou...ance/stage-1/results

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Bob Roll and the NBC boys are speculating that Contador could lose another 20 seconds or more tomorrow (Sunday) in the team time trial. That would put him down nearly 2 minutes -- in Stage Two!

Tour de France these days is won and lost by margins of 30 seconds. 2 minutes is a LOT of time to gain!

Some expectation that this time loss will have him doing some spectacular attacks in the climbs.

Ohhhhhhhhhh gawd! How I do love this race! Summer in France on the bike . . .

Some day soon I plan to head over and just follow the riders, camp on the roadside, be a "Tour Bum." Cap it off in Paris, find myself une belle jeune fille and cut loose!

dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope you make it.

I was talking with my wife about that very thing. Maybe plan a couple years ahead. Might not could do the whole month. But even if you could have a different place to stay along the route each nite near the Tour for even a week. Would sure be a kick in the pants. Definitely be in Paris for the final day, the Champs-Elysees.

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the one hand it sounds epic. On the other it sounds like a lot of crowds and chaos. I'm thinking a motorcycle and a tent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife doesn't hunt with me in the primitive conditions in which I hunt. She says, if she has to squat, she ain't going. That rules out tents for me in France.
Best
GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stage 2 of the Tour is history.

Let's see, 23 kilometers. Fastest time, 24 minutes 48 seconds. If my math is right that converts to 34.57 MPH for an average speed. That's not top speed, but average speed.

Talk about competitive, only 12 seconds over a 14 mile course separated the top 7 teams.

Those guys are unbelievable.

Oh yeah, Thor Hushovd takes over the yellow jersey.

GWB

Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
I hope you make it.

I was talking with my wife about that very thing. Maybe plan a couple years ahead. Might not could do the whole month. But even if you could have a different place to stay along the route each nite near the Tour for even a week. Would sure be a kick in the pants. Definitely be in Paris for the final day, the Champs-Elysees.

GWB

I've seen it in person twice now. Once near Gap in the French alps and again near Paris near the end of the Tour.

It's quite a lot of fun and the crowds near the villages are really really into it.

Good food too!!!!

Don

Posts: 26543 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contador dropped another 20 seconds in the Team Time Trial. He's 1 min. 42 seconds behind the Maillot Jaune now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
American Tyler Farrar (Garmin - Cervelo) wins Stage 3 in the sprint -- Currently in 169th place.

169. FARRAR Tyler, Rider # 54, TEAM GARMIN - CERVELO , 9h 53' 12" Trailing leader: + 06' 26"

Leader:
1. HUSHOVD Thor, Rider # 51, TEAM GARMIN - CERVELO, 9h 46' 46" Current Leader

No change in Alberto Contador's standing:

69. CONTADOR Alberto, SAXO BANK SUNGARD, Rider # 1, elapsed time: 9h 48' 28" Trailing leader: + 01' 42"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK --

We're in Paris now, Sunday, 24 July, 2011. Cadel Evens has become the first Australian to win the Tour -- in a spectacular time-trial ride on the penultimate stage.

Andy & Frank Schleck (Luxembourg) took second and third.

Thomas Voecker (France) took 4th.

Aberto Contador (Spain) took 5th.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about the Contador back fist to the histile spectator? I Liked that part the best. Big Grin

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1059 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tour de France has been renamed to the Tour of Spokes+Needles

Posts: 482 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife and kids saw the end of it on the Champs Elysees on Sunday. I'll get more info tonight when I pick them up. Personally I wouldn't walk across the street to see a bunch of hard dicks riding bikes, but "a chacun ses gouts" as they say in France.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've mentioned before, years ago I would ride as much as 250 miles a week. I've competed in a few local races and done numerous "centuries".
Having been involved to a degree I can't help but admire the sheer physicality of the sport and the the athletes that are able to compete at the level of those that ride the Tour.
This is a race that takes place over more than three weeks. It began this year on July 2. I concluded on July 24 with only 2 rest days. Sometimes the riders are in the saddle for periods of over five hours, in all kinds of weather and conditions, burning thousands of calories a day and enduring untold physical abuse. It is a team sport that requires both planning, camaraderie, strategy, yet the strength and stamina of the winner is also based on individual effort and mental toughness. This year the race was 2,132 miles in 21 stages. Typically the time that separates the winner and his closest competitors is just seconds after 21 or so days of racing. Amazing.

I may not go to France, I may not even cross the street, but I definitely tip my hat to these guys.

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chasing on the Champs Elysees flat ground, after 2,100 miles of riding over three weeks, they were doing 70 Kmh -- 43.496 mph, on flat ground.

I have a hard time getting 40 mph on a descent, and they're hitting 70 mph on the descents coming off the Col du Galibrier and Alpe d'Huez.

I don't care what sort of doping they're doing. I think the doping is two or three jumps ahead of the detection.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rothke,

You and I don't agree on much in the ARPF, but I would fathom that when it comes to bikes and riding, we are pretty much on the same page. I stand to be corrected.

My point is, you've got to be almost superhuman to even be at the level of the worst/slowest riders in the tour. Folks that don't ride can't realize the exponential increase in effort required to maintain a 30 mile an hour pace against a headwind vs. a 20 or 25 mile an hour pace. I'd venture to say most folks can't maintain a 17 mph pace over a 100 miles. To my mind, the guys that compete in the tour and complete it are the greatest athletes in the world.

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Diana Nyad is 62 yrs old. She's getting ready for a 103 mile swim -- Cuba to Florida. As soon as the seas shape up.

http://www.kcrw.com/etc/diananyad

But bicycle racers as a group I think probably the top endurance athletes. Somewhere nearby are marathon and tri-athelon athletes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad all you guys enjoy watching the race. For me it is about as exciting as watching paint dry. I can't believe that is all Versus showed for three weeks.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
Glad all you guys enjoy watching the race. For me it is about as exciting as watching paint dry. I can't believe that is all Versus showed for three weeks.

465H&H

It's because you don't understand what's going on. Just like watching chess and not knowing how the pieces move.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

465H&H

Actually I think it was about 14 hours a day on most days.

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothke:
quote:

465H&H

It's because you don't understand what's going on. Just like watching chess and not knowing how the pieces move.

Rothke,

And just how do you know that? Making assumptions are we?

Geedubya,

The problem was that there were no hunting/fishing shows on Versus for three weeks.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you enjoy the hunting and fishing shows, more power to ya'. They are just not for me anymore.

I gave up the hunting shows a couple years ago. I recently had surgery and did not leave the house for 5 weeks. I had my wife re-up the subscription to both Versus, the Sportsman's Channel and the Outdoor channel. I think I made it 4 days before I could not handle anything but the tour. Call me crazy. After 2 years, the stuff was pretty much the same if not worse. Not trying to start a war, but I hadn't seen the "Nuge" on TV for two years. Time does not look like it's being too kind. He seemed a parody of himself.
Other shows, the same ol' orgasmic "thank ya" lords and high fives all around. Other guys shooting Deer two states away. The virginal Lee looked like Tiffany had rode him hard and hung him up wet. Vicki and Ralph. The women are always right, shoot the biggest bucks and keep a tight grip on the testicles of their male counterparts. The "workin'man w/ the Drury's. Same ol' Same O. Pig man an McMillan River Adventures. Would you buy a rifle a bow a knife, scope sunglasses, toilet paper with "bone collector" stamped on it. Michael Waddell is probably a good guy, but severely overexposed.
I was somewhat surprised/disappointed to see Cooper putting together a long range system and advertising on the Best of the West. What happened to Huskemaw. Same stuff, same advertisers, 15 to 17 minutes of adds in a 30 minute program. For some reason, I can watch Jim Shockey. But as a steady diet, no thanks to all that stuff. I'll watch the tour for three weeks during July, I'm usually not hunting that much here as its usually over 90 degrees F and 90 % humidity. Come September I'll be back in the woods creating my own memories.

Best

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually I think it was about 14 hours a day on most days.

Coverage on Vs. ran 3 to 5 hrs daily. Lots of fluff, interviews, speculation, advertising/promotion.

I'd tape it live (DVR) starting about 4 AM and then zip through it. A break here, a climb there, chase groups, a sprint. I could get the coverage I was interested in seeing in about 30 min.

It's not interesting TV viewing. But it's an interesting race to follow if you understand what's going on.