New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biggest PITA of the year...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have cable one for my internet/cable/phone company.

On Saturday they sent me an Email telling me of their wonderful, new and improved, more robust, fully featured Email software which was being installed as I read.

Fine...

Starting Monday I was unable to receive any Emails. Could send, but not receive.

I call tech support and they tell me they are sending me a "so simple a set of guidelines, even a 2nd grader could do it..." Yeah, right.

I follow the instructions, and about four hours later I have 28,632 Emails dating back to January of 2010.

We have a problem. I learned that simply clicking on "delete" does NOT, in fact, delete them. They go to the trashcan and stay there until you delete them a second time. That makes a lot of sense.

I get 166 Emails shown, and have to delete them, one at a time. Oh, poop!

After four days of Tech Support, the one supervisor lady asks me if I knew that deleting was really sending to a storage place? I say no, it says "Delete, not relocate"

My genius nephew comes over this morning, and figures out the issue. He can load 1000 at a time, hit one button, and they are gone forever. He also reconfigures the part that does not delete when you hit the delete button. The new system has an option that banishes them to the nether regions after seven days. 38 minutes to delete thru July 1st.

And now, a popup has just appeared that says I can get a free upgrade to Windows 10.

It has been a fun week.

We celebrated by going to the Golden Corral for the buffet lunch.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you feel you're having all the fun Rich. Hate to ruin it for you but, I've had some fun too.

Third week of Verizon, shut it down and ck'd the usage: 2gb, next night as I turned it back on I looked again for the H of it. Damned thing claimed: 10gb. Now how in the hell can that be when it was shut off and supposedly secure?????

Also, am getting texts when I'm not supposed to at all. some say: $12.86 charged for car parts in CA. HUH??? Had three of those I just happened to see come in. 67 texts in all for last month, charged a dime each. NOT MINE!!

Third time to waste an hour in their store trying to convince them this "jetpak" wifi is NOT secure" "sir, it IS secure" "how can it be when it's shut off and 8gb used in 20 hours??"

I paid $70 for it, $50 a month +tx, billed $91.48 first month, "$40 surcharge I wasn't told about. Paid it, next bill was 12gb usage, when I was only online 8 times all month for a couple to three hrs each time. Hmmmm??

Yesterday, girl said she "could" "GIVE" me a $30 credit toward the $147 bill that's not my usage. Today I got the newest bill: $220. Uhh!

I fully expect they'll shut me down before long as I flat refuse to pay it. I also requested a 10th of the month due date. Yeah sure, due 29th. SocSec check comes the 3rd so each month I've been hit with a late fee I won't pay either. Plus the dime each for texts.

I can't get them online chat because I refuse to use my SocSec number as ID especially on an unsecure transmitter. Therefore, I can't talk live to their service people.

Hope I didn't ruin your fun!
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try turning off the cellular data and wi-fi. That should cut your usage down by 80%. They will eat up GB even when the phone is off.

Posts: 383 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like a good month, all around.

My nephew got talked into switching from ATT to Verizon a couple years ago. They promised him everything. They built a new house, and their phones would NOT work inside the house. Serious. They sent a tech out, and his phone would not work either. He had to threaten to take it to the IG here to get out of the contract. He's been back with ATT and it's all good these days.

Phew! All mine cost me was aggravation...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
poprivet:
That's the trouble, I have no clue what you're talking about! Thanks anyway.

I don't have a Verizon phone, this is solely wifi for the computer, that's it.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
George. Might want to consider sending a copy of your bill and a written/signed note with their stated reason why they won't solve your problem in the U.S. mail to your Colorado Attorney General and ask them if this is fraud. I had some success here in Pa over something similar.
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Sounds like you feel you're having all the fun Rich. Hate to ruin it for you but, I've had some fun too.

Third week of Verizon, shut it down and ck'd the usage: 2gb, next night as I turned it back on I looked again for the H of it. Damned thing claimed: 10gb. Now how in the hell can that be when it was shut off and supposedly secure?????

Also, am getting texts when I'm not supposed to at all. some say: $12.86 charged for car parts in CA. HUH??? Had three of those I just happened to see come in. 67 texts in all for last month, charged a dime each. NOT MINE!!

Third time to waste an hour in their store trying to convince them this "jetpak" wifi is NOT secure" "sir, it IS secure" "how can it be when it's shut off and 8gb used in 20 hours??"

I paid $70 for it, $50 a month +tx, billed $91.48 first month, "$40 surcharge I wasn't told about. Paid it, next bill was 12gb usage, when I was only online 8 times all month for a couple to three hrs each time. Hmmmm??

Yesterday, girl said she "could" "GIVE" me a $30 credit toward the $147 bill that's not my usage. Today I got the newest bill: $220. Uhh!

I fully expect they'll shut me down before long as I flat refuse to pay it. I also requested a 10th of the month due date. Yeah sure, due 29th. SocSec check comes the 3rd so each month I've been hit with a late fee I won't pay either. Plus the dime each for texts.

I can't get them online chat because I refuse to use my SocSec number as ID especially on an unsecure transmitter. Therefore, I can't talk live to their service people.

Hope I didn't ruin your fun!
George

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5116 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
The telemarketers are my biggest complaint.Every one I talk to as well.I would venture to say that 9 out of 10 calls daily are telemarketers + most just recordings.Come on,are you REALLY going to buy something from these people?The final straw was that as I have my business # also at my home,when the phone would ring at 3:00 in the A.M.with a telemarketing fax that not only wakes me up but burns up my fax ribbon advertising things I don't want.I was so pissed I went all the way to the A.G.'s office but they could do nothing as it came out of Canada.So,I just did it myself. I had their fax #,so I just sent them back a ream of black paper,then turned off my fax machine for a suitable while.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A ream of black paper, eh? Back when the junk mail folks used return postage paid envelopes a machinist friend would cut a piece of sheet metal of the right size and return it. And he wasn't even a Texan!

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one of the new trollmarketing things is a phone system that will make 5 calls at a time. First pickup wins the blather lottery, the other four just get to hang on until it is their turn.

I get those un-return addressed letters. Has a card inside to allow you to make a donation, or such with a front marked "postage will be paid by address shipped to. I wrap a brick or paving block in a paper bag from the grocery store, and hot-glue the card on the front. I took it to the PO and told the clerk (retired Marine, so he gets the humor) what it was. He thinks it's a wonderful idea.

I would just love to be in their mailroom and receive it.