Posts: 1743 | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have a bottle. Good whisky.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, their 15 year-old whisky is one of my favorites.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pennfly:
Any of you folks drink Dalwhinnie?

I have ...but I've drunk better.

The bulk of the Dalwhinnie distillery's production goes into blended whisky. Which should tell you something.

Posts: 618 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Jools, do you know that the bulk of the product from Glenturret of Crieff, in Perthshire, goes into the making of the best selling blended Scotch Whisky in Scotland? "The Famous Grouse Brand". While the Single Malt offerings of Glenturret are unremarkable, "The Famous Grouse Brand" is damn good whisky even if it is blended!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I did. I have had the pleasure of the Glen Turret Distillery hospitality on several occassions

Dalwhinne goes into the Black and White Whisky.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Crieff and Pitlochry are two of my favorite places! My Son-in-Law is from Glasgow. Perhaps we can share a wee dram one day?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:My Son-in-Law is from Glasgow.

Some one has to be. Your S-in-L will I'm sure know to what I refer.

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:Perhaps we can share a wee dram one day?

It would be a pleasure. If you ever get a chance try some Highland Park.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Dalwhinnie 15 was my contribution to the most recent gathering of bubbas at Glick Ranch near Encino, TX. Good, but I prefer Caol Ila, a major ingredient of JW blends. Blended JW Black is perhaps my fav of all scotches I have tried.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ted68
posted Hide Post
Have not tried Dalwhinnie, but I will look for it. The MacAllan or Glengoyne 21 are my favs if cost is being thrown out the window. Everyday fare would be Millars Irish.

Or a Bud Light. Smiler

Posts: 131 | Location: Islamorada, Florida USA | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The prices being asked for many of the 21 year+ malt whiskies has reached astronomical proportions. To a point where they are simply beyond consideration for this impoverished drinker,

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have some Highland Park in the Liquor Cabinet.
It is good whisky.
My personal favorites are 28 year old Inchmurrin, and 17 year old Glengoyne.

The Inchmurrin is just a fabulous Whisky. With a little branch water it just gets better with every sip.
when I need Oaky-Smokey-Peaty I reach for the Glengoyne. If I'm in the mood Laphroaig will do. I prefer the Glengoyne 17 for it's smoothness and character.

Jools I agree! It getting out of hand. My last trip across the pond we found it was cheaper to buy Single Malt here in the States.

In Houston we have a large local Liquor Store called Spec's. One of my favorite past times is to go browse the "Whisky" aisle at the downtown Houston store!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Jools I agree! It getting out of hand. My last trip across the pond we found it was cheaper to buy Single Malt here in the States.

Its been that way for a good while. The same goes for just about any other commodity.

We don't call the place Rip off Britain for nothing. Mad

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Not scotch, vintage Old Overholt rye advertising:

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the things I enjoy the most is trying a new Scotch. I now have a couple of new ones to sample.

One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
I always make a point of packing two or three bottles of the good stuff whenever I cross the Pond, though my consumption thereof is limited these days on medical grounds. Frowner
Needless to say, my American friends ensure nothing is wasted, with Caol Ila being a current favourite.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jools:
quote:
Any of you folks drink Dalwhinnie?

I have ...but I've drunk better.

The bulk of the Dalwhinnie distillery's production goes into blended whisky. Which should tell you something.

Sacrilege! Dalwhinnie is my second favorite, right behind Lagavulin.

Currently (as in right now!), I'm draining the last drops of a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail. Won't buy another one, though. Didn't like it all that much.

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
15 is good. Distiller's addition.........very good!

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jools:
Yes I did. I have had the pleasure of the Glen Turret Distillery hospitality on several occassions

Dalwhinne goes into the Black and White Whisky.

Well then:

American entertainer Dean Martin was a Black & White drinker in the '50s & '60s.

Black & White is the whisky Cary Grant was so fond of in the 1964 movie Father Goose.

Marcello Mastroianni drank Black & White with his father and his friend Papparazzo in the Fellini film, La Dolce Vita.

Physicist Richard Feynman drank Black & White, as described in his book Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!.

Herbert Kilpin, co-founder and first captain of football club AC Milan, claimed that "the only way to forget a conceded goal was to drink a sip of the hard stuff", according to John Foot in his book, Winning at All Costs: A Scandalous History of Italian Soccer. He reportedly kept a bottle of Black and White whisky in a hole behind the goal for such an occasion.

Black & White whisky was featured in the film Dolores Claiborne.

The drink is featured in the novel Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut, in which the narrator orders a Black & White and water.

The fact that Feynmann (a personal hero of mine) liked Black & White is enough for me to search out a bottle.

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Back & White?

Vile stuff & fit only for heathens. stir Cool

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that I can count on you fellows to steer me right, as I have a problem. My girl stops in the liquor store once a week and if she sees some Scotch that she thinks I haven't tried she buys a bottle. This week she brought me a bottle of Aberlour, cask strength, Auchentoshan and Glenmorangie. What should I do?

One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know that I can count on you fellows to steer me right, as I have a problem. My girl stops in the liquor store once a week and if she sees some Scotch that she thinks I haven't tried she buys a bottle. This week she brought me a bottle of Aberlour, cask strength, Auchentoshan and Glenmorangie. What should I do?

Keep her. Big Grin

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yuck

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Balvenie is excellent.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Tried a couple new to me. Talisker and Lagavulin. Both are Islay scotches, one from Skye, but anyway... wasn't all that impressed with either of these in spite of all the hype on the net and reviews.

I wanted to try something new as I've been drinking Highlands but wasn't impressed.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Laphroaig 10 year is my favorite.
I like their Cask strength as well.
They are very Peaty.

Langavulin is another one I like as well as Caol Ila, if I wand something different.

When drinking Scotch out in a resturant, I just hope they at least have Glenfiddich, as it has a tint of Peat.

I do agree with what a fella told me once...
"There is no BAD Scotch, just some are better than others." Big Grin

My personal thoughts on Scotch are, You should drink the one[s] YOU like, that is why there are so many choices. tu2

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
True, but there are so many to try!

Has anyone tried to order direct or import? What is the cost for duty / tax? How does that work?

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
N E 450 No2: There is no BAD Scotch, just some are better than others

Pretty much true, although some of the low-end blends & single malts aren't very remarkable. One you should try though is Trader Joe's Blended Scotch Whisky, $11 per liter, tastes like Dewar's to me.
We are lucky in Texas to have some big retailers like Spec's, Twin Liquors, etc. that have a wide variety or can at least get you what you want.
I was fortunate recently in the Mexico City airport, where the Duty Free shop had liters of Laphroaig, Talisker & Cragganmore for $30, got one of each.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted68:
Have not tried Dalwhinnie, but I will look for it. The MacAllan or Glengoyne 21 are my favs if cost is being thrown out the window. Everyday fare would be Millars Irish.

Or a Bud Light. Smiler

I've not tried Dalwhinnie. Glengoyne is very nice but I prefer is 21 year old Highland Park

Hunting is not a matter of life or death....It's much more important

Posts: 338 | Location: Abbotsford BC | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had some 18 yearold Laphroaig last night.
It was very good, very smooth, it is less Peaty than the 10 year old.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote