New
Find
Notify
Tools

SouthWest on Fire!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
New fire today reported in the Jemez Mtns about 10 miles from La Cueva, or 50 miles or so as the crow flies from Albuquerque.

Posts: 128 | Location: Rio Arriba County, NM | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bummer.

Do they know if it was man-caused?

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live approx. 8 miles from this fires origin. It was reported that the fire was started by a blown down electric line during gusty winds this early afternoon. It is moving away from my place thanks to a strong southwest wind. It is however headed toward the city of Los Alamos and the National lab there. At last report the fire was "crowning" and had grown to over 400 acres. Residents near the fire have been evacuated and a "voluntary" evacuation notice has been given to the residents of Los Alamos and nearby White Rock. Winds have now subsided thus slowing the fires progress. Everyone in the area is on edge and hope that fire crews can get a handle on this fire before it gets really out of control.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just in. Santa Fe National Forest update bulletin as of 8:30P MDST. Fire has grown to 3,500 acres and is crowning and spotting a half mile out in front of fire. Fire has not reached the National Lab boundary. Emergency Action Plan is in effect at the Lab with all radioactive materials there safely stored.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More bad news on this very serious situation. The USFS just confirmed, 8:00A MDST, that the Conchas fire has grown to over 43,000 acres and is becoming a direct threat to the Los Alamos National Nuclear Lab and the surrounding cities of Los Alamos and White Rock here in New Mexico. I see that Yahoo has posted an article on this fire. All thoughts and prayers are appreciated for those folks in the line of danger.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Must be super dry there.Does the Forest service ever do burn offs in wetter weather to try and prevent these massive fires???? please be safe if you live in this area,OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks OB - As stated, I live about 8 miles or so from the startup point of this fire. It is moving directly away from me and my property because of the strong Southwest wind. The Forest Service does conduct prescribed burns to lessen the fuel load in the area and thinning as well, but the super dry conditions have overridden most of these efforts.

Larry Sellers

quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
Must be super dry there.Does the Forest service ever do burn offs in wetter weather to try and prevent these massive fires???? please be safe if you live in this area,OB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The site of the development of the Atom Bomb was evacuated yesterday at 2 PM MST; the entire city of Los Alamos, New Mexico.

The fire has grown to over 61,000 acres involved and is moving toward the city. Terrible news as Los Alamos was burned 11 years ago by a prescribed burn gone bad.

An employee of mine traveling home from work at night on Tramway Road in Albuquerque could clearly see the fire; actual orange flames not just a smoke plume.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to find a Shaman to do a rain dance. Ask him to include Texas in his incantations.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote