New
Find
Notify
Tools

trouble sleeping
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I heard a story about an individual that was building a 505 gibbs on a 1917 enfield, he told the gunsmith to make the barrel somewhat heavier to help with recoil and the stock big enough to handle the recoil as well as to accomodate the action, after several months of waiting his rifle came in the mail and when he opened it up, the barrel was a 32'' solid bull 1 1/4'' and it had a fibreglass benchrest stock with a 4'' wide forearm,I feel like this is what usually happens to me and have had a few night mares in the past several months as I am on a trek building a 416 rigby on an enfield with turkish walnut stock. Do you think there should be federal laws imposed to prevent this sort of mishap?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What mishap?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like he got just what he ordered. if he had something else in mind, he should have been more specific.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you cannot fix stupid.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
put a brake on it and not experience recoil, just noise...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just built a '17 Enfield for .358U/M.
Had Eddie Shulin turn the stock: Plus an 1/8".
26", muzzle 750". 7oz merc in forearm, 13oz in butt, Butt is 2" wide, 7" high biggest decelerator made, rifle weighs 14lbs 7oz and is fit to me, balanced & looks great. Recoil isn't much more than a standard '06. No sling, I wouldn't have a f--g brake on one if you gave me the factory!

Good luck on that build, go for it. Kevin Weaver built mine. I asked him what else could we do to tame the recoil. "put a brake on it is the only thing left". NoWay!! I'll live with it this way. I had the off shoulder replaced Feb '14, shooting shoulder Jan '15. IF I can handle it, surely you can. 250gr 98gr AA7828 @ 3200fps, I'm trying to find a 300gr bullet now.

Might be hard to find a stock turner that will make it larger than normal. Hey, you're paying for it, get what you want. that 1/8" makes 'em a full 1/4" bigger all around. that's a handful unless you have big hands like I do.

Best of luck getting what you want the way you want it to turn out. Mine did exactly other than a full pound heavier than I'd hoped. This isn't bad. I'll carry it til my knuckles drag the ground, then change hands!!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
george,

RE the brake; just wait until you sit down at the bench to load test with a case-gard 100 full of hunting loads some afternoon.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I built up a 25/303 on a Martini--Henry action using a Douglas blank @ 1.25 dia. Bolt face stays the same.Wooded out in birdseye maple A bench piece that will take a long time to heat up ..+ cool down.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,

Cutting Edge Bullets makes a 340gr .358 bullet. It is I believe a Match/Tactical/Hollowpoint. Depending on your twist, magazine length, and throat, this may be the bullet for you!

Do let us know how it turns out.

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote