O the wild charge they made!
All the world wondered.
Honor the charge they made,
Honor the Light Brigade,
Noble six hundred.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
Great stuff. Enjoyed it, must of been one hell of a ride. Probably a lot of sideways glances when the order was given.
Thanks
Kidd

Posts: 141 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For those who have not read it,I recommend "Flashman at the Charge" by George Macdonald Fraser. Good historical fiction with a bit of humor while still retaining the facts.I envy anyone who gets to read it for the first time.

Posts: 4233 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
those were the days when a man would ride to his death in defense of his country. It is comforting to know that I served in RVN with men of this caliber, and that, today, in Afghanistan, such men still answer the call...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
those were the days when a man would ride to his death in defense of his country. It is comforting to know that I served in RVN with men of this caliber, and that, today, in Afghanistan, such men still answer the call...

Hopefully, much of that philosophy went out of favor after WW1, when an entire generation of young British men were wiped out, largely through the despicable incompetence of military leaders.

Fraser's Flashman books, while otherwise very entertaining, certainly stressed that incompetence over much of the late 19th Century. (I forget how many decades were covered, but I know the US Civil War and Custer's Last Stand were also included.)

Also hopefully, there is a better breed of leaders in recent years. Personally, I do wonder about the Vietnam era, at least in the very top levels. No disrespect to those who served, of which I knew a few.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the commanders are better as you stated. But the men are no different. They sacrifice to the same degree and for the same reaons. We should all remember that.

Posts: 10029 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote