New
Find
Notify
Tools

broken Mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ouch!

Posts: 618 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, I have to ask, How the heck did that happen?

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A split bolt ? Did he put extra powder inside the bolt ? Very interesting !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
as much of a mess as that rifle is, it seems the Mauser safety features kept the nasties away from the man who fired the rifle- but we'd have to ask him, of course.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
as much of a mess as that rifle is, it seems the Mauser safety features kept the nasties away from the man who fired the rifle- but we'd have to ask him, of course.

Too bad the Mausers safety features didn't include a set of legs so the rifle could have fled it's owner while it was still in one piece.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
I noticed 7.62x39 engraved on the bolt. Perhaps the wrong powder used in a handloaded cartridge resulting in extremely high pressure?

Definately would be nice to know the rest of the story including any injuries the shooter might have suffered.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
We had a guy run some pistol powder in a .243 here a couple of years ago through his rem 700; bad things happened like expanded the receiver ring but no gas escaped. This bolt should not have cracked in any case; should have had a soft core to prevent failure of the bolt.

Posts: 17110 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Too bad we don't have any other information to go along with a great set of pictures.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I guess its the price of having an ugly bolt handle....

Only the owner and his laundry person know how big a fright he got .......

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It appears that the photos come out of a photobucket gunsmithing album belonging to someone going under the name of KenDog4570. So I guess we'll never know the wholde tale behind the blow up.

Posts: 618 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:

Only the owner and his laundry person know how big a fright he got .......

Looking at the stock, if he had a good grip, it likely did some damage to his hand as the split goes through the pistol grip.

Looks like the two locking lugs and the third at the bolt handle held.

My question is how did brass get all of the way back to the bolt shroud?

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:
KenDog4570

I'm getting good a this search stuff:

quote:
They are engineered quite well. We blew one up in 7.62X39 a few years back, and although it was a catastrophic failure and the action had to be junked, the safety features worked as intended, and the shooter was not injured. The only parts left of the entire gun that were usable were the barrel and the trigger. Everything else was cracked, bent, splintered, twisted, etc.

The load was supposed to be 23.4 of Reloder 7, NOT 23.4 of AA No 7.

Wont do that again.

Link

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Hmmm if QL is even close 23.4grs of AA No7 would be in the 133,000 PSI range. shocker

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmallCal:

My question is how did brass get all of the way back to the bolt shroud?

firing pin hole is the only route I can imagine. In these cases the brass always "appears" to have been molten to me.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote