Find
Notify
Tools

Martini anyone?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted
Just last week or so, I was visiting my grandmother and made her a Marini, to her specs and under her direction. I gave it a taste and then had one myself, then another. Ever get drunk with your grandmother? hilbily

Anyway, now I sure do like em. Having one right now, and is you face supposed to be numb? Cool

Her mix is two shots of Vodka and three capfulls of Vermouth with some crushed ice and several olives plus some olive juice. Ahhhh...

Thoughts, suggestions.....

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:
Ever get drunk with your grandmother? hilbily

Most certainly however she prefers G&Ts or bloody Maries.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Martini is the only cocktail I drink. I prefer 3 oz of either Gordons or Beefeaters and 1/2 cap full of vermouth with a hot pickled green bean or okra for garnish. I prefer mine up. I keep the shaker and glasses in the freezer. I had two last night.

Posts: 1573 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best way I was ever taught to make one......
Fill shaker with ice. Dump in some vermouth and shake a couple of times. Dump vermouth down the drain, you are only trying to coat the ice. Pour in however much vodka/gin you wish and slowly turn the shaker back and forth. Do not shake violently. Continue turning/shaking until the outside of the shaker becomes frosty and you can hardly stand to hold onto the thing. Pour into an up style martini glass and serve preferably with 3 olives as I don't find two to be enough. Cool
If you got it cold enough there should be small ice crystals on the surface of the liquor just after you pour it into the glass.

The golden martini rule: One martini, two at the most, three, you are under the table, four, you are under the host!

Happy Hoidays All! James Bond would be proud!

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
I thought the rule was Martinis are like breasts= 1 Is not enough and 3 is too many Big Grin

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its called a Dirty Martini when you put the olive juice in it- gives it a little salt

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Here is mine:

Grey Goose Martini, stright up, VERY, VERY, VERY dry, shaken, with olives.

If there is a hint of vermuth taste, I send it back.

Yes, I have gotten tanked with my beloved, late grandmother. She was my "Gram" and was a beautiful woman.

She liked Whiskey, straight up....

Gotta loves those old gals...

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Here's a twist! Pardon the pun. Substitute some Sake for the vermouth. You have a Saketini. Garnish with a cucumber slice.
I do like "dirty" martinis. Jalapeno or garlic stuffed olives are great.

Enjoy!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I've never had a martini so bear with me on a probably dumb question. If the vermouth is so sparingly used why not just stait vodka or gin with an olive? Is the vermouth a necasary evil. I want to try one in the next fiew days and will use the above entries as a rule.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Danged heathens. Use Hendricks, and leave the grain alcohol to Russkies...

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I've never had a martini so bear with me on a probably dumb question. If the vermouth is so sparingly used why not just stait vodka or gin with an olive? Is the vermouth a necasary evil. I want to try one in the next fiew days and will use the above entries as a rule.

Your life has been sheltered a bit, my friend. If you like gin or vodka, you'll love Martinis!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
It's kinda like drinking gin out of a paper bag but without offending the host.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Vodka?? I thought we were talking about martinis. Confused GIN is the main ingrediet in a martini -- come on Daniel, you know better! Big Grin But if grandma likes chilled vodka coctails, that is her right!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
Saketini ?? I am going to try that tonight ! ya think my hair might fall of ? ha ha,dirty martinis are also my favorite.
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Here's a twist! Pardon the pun. Substitute some Sake for the vermouth. You have a Saketini. Garnish with a cucumber slice.
I do like "dirty" martinis. Jalapeno or garlic stuffed olives are great.

Enjoy!

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I take no responsibility for you loosing what little hair you have left! animal

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

Cuz only alcoholics drink straight gin or vodka. shame Rule in our house is to put half a capful in the shaker, swirl it around and dump it out. Big Grin

We also don't use ice in the shaker. Much easier to keep the vodka in the freezer and it doesn't water down the martini. thumb

For whatever reason, I'm finding it very difficult to find vermouth olives or onions any more. Confused We're down to our last half bottle of each, which won't last long with double olives or onions. A couple years ago I found some vermouth cranberries which were perfect for the odd occasion when I'd make my wife a Crantini. Only had the one bottle and have never found them since. Frowner

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'm with you on the gin, Whitworth. Tanqueray makes up into a nice martooni.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pardon the short term hijack....

As I just learned how to make a proper Gin & Tonic. It's all in the lime skin. Before you add a lime wedge; bend and squeeze the skin--you'll see some drops come out of the pores. Thinly slice a few shavings into the glass.

The order goes as such..

Ice, squeezed lime and shavings, gin & tonic in a 1:1 or 1:2 ratio to taste.

Got to hand it to those Brits who concocted this to ward off malaria. How civilized!

Posts: 1057 | Location: Washngton State | Registered: 14 June 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I'm with you on the gin, Whitworth. Tanqueray makes up into a nice martooni.

Amen to that, Bill!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
OK I just tried my first martini.....yuk!

I will stick to Jameson or Jim or Jack or...

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
I felt the same way when I tried my first one 8-9 years ago. It was a bombay saphire martini, and I couldn't finish it and was buzzed as hell from the half of it I did drink. I didn't like any sort of liquor in pure form at that time. Tastes change, and I do occasionally enjoy various indulgences strait, or on the rocks.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daniel77:
I felt the same way when I tried my first one 8-9 years ago. It was a bombay saphire martini, and I couldn't finish it and was buzzed as hell from the half of it I did drink. I didn't like any sort of liquor in pure form at that time. Tastes change, and I do occasionally enjoy various indulgences strait, or on the rocks.

Good to know, because I will be bringing a good bottle of scotch on our hog hunt, Daniel!

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gin martini with the Vermouth sitting on the bar near the pitcher. It's up to you if you take the cap off the Vermouth or not. But then I'm a fan of Canadian Whisky covering one cube of ice in a short tumbler.