New
Find
Notify
Tools

About "The Big Sleep" with Bogart and Bacall
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Nearly every review and evaluation I've read mentions that the plot makes no sense. I obtained A DVD set that includes "the Big Sleep" as shone in theaters, plus the same movie in the pre-release version that Warner Brothers vetoed for release. I have watched both now, several days between the release version then the pre-release version. I gotta agree that the release is nearly impossible to follow. However, the pre-release version makes perfect sense, The difference is two scenes, one where Bogart ransacks Geiger's office. The other when he meets with the district attorney. These and the surrounding scenes render plot line reasonable and sensible.

If you prefer to enjoy the film, as I do, rather than enjoy repartee between Bogart and Bacall, try the pre-release "The Big Sleep",

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could say the same thing about the Kristofferson movie, "Heaven's Gate". Hollywood cut so much out of it that it made no sense, but when you watch the full version, it does. Also, to a minor degree, the Redux of "Apocalypse Now."

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote