Tools

Cricket bats for Cuba
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I was reading this story about an impoverished cricket club in Cuba on the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/worl...tin-america-20849650

Has anyone here any experience sending things to Cuba? I was thinking if the bats came via an address in Canada or some other country besides the USA, the bats might have a chance of making it to their destination, assuming the Cuban mail system works reasonably well, and honestly. Would love to hear advice on this, and on which bats to send, as I know nothing of the game, being your average American baseball fan.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Tit for Tat,I should use a good cigar.

Posts: 4233 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Norman: Yeah, I know. Our Canadian friends have all those cigars and all those Cuban tarpon and bonefish almost to themselves. IT AIN'T FAIR!

hilbily

– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think that if the point of origin is outside the US, the shipped items would make it and no US law would be compromised- you realize, of course, that this will put a severe dent in the profits of the multiple cricket bat manufacturers found in every state of the union...

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Actually, the BBC Havana correspondent who filed that story said she could get the bats to Baragua if I can get the bats to her. Now to find someone who knows a good cricket bat when he sees one. The things certainly do get expensive!

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
did I just read someone posting something about "honest" in Koo-bah?
That should be in the humor section...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cricket in the Caribbean ? Son brought me a home made bat he found on the beach in Trinidad. Made from a piece of beveled wood siding. Big Grin Cubans would be just as thankful for toothpaste and toilet paper.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote