WALTER'S OWN

Moderators: Walterhog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why support a country that doesn't support us?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Why would a (United States citizen) staunch 2nd Amendment supporter pump thousands of dollars into Mexico on hunting trips, when the Govt of Mexico continuously lobbies Washington DC to disarm Americans?

Today, I lost a friendship over this issue. I never meant it to be personal, I just don't understand it. I am not trying to tell anyone how or where to spend their money. I just don't understand.

Walter or anybody else that can help clarify this would be appreciated.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I have refused to spend a dime nor go to Mexico for many years. Their government actively promotes violating our immigration laws, and, although our media never reports it, they were and still are, extremely critical of U.S. action in Iraq and Afghanistan. Read up on WW2 and find that many German U-boats were resupplied by Mexicans and Mexico City had a huge amount of Nazi spy activity coordinated there, with the Mexican government turning a blind eye. Mexico has never been our friend, and never will be. That does not mean there are not many fine Mexicans, just that their government is no friend and ally to the U.S.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree completely. Mexico during the war did more than that. They enabled the Soviet ambassador to enter Argentina with the purpose of aquasition of nuclear bomb specifics from the nazis per U boot implants;now that is most definately NOT in our interests.Not then not now.Thats only Mexico,wake up America! No one likes us!So quit throwing them money that is better well spent at home. Good luck on this message going anywhere positive.

Posts: 4233 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
My philosophy has been that the biggest mistake made at the end of WWII by the U.S. and Canada, was not marching into Mexico and kicking out the old aristocratic Spanish government and help set up an actual democracy.

As impractical as many will think that to be, had Mexico became an actual democracy where there would have been a middle class, not just the rich and the peon's, and possibly introduced different religions instead of having the Catholic Church maintaining a stranglehold on the nation, Mexico might have evolved into a much better place. That is just my opinion.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crazyhorse,

I appreciate your opinion. How does it relate to the question I posted?

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LEE440 and Norman,

Thank you for your thoughts. I am still having a hard time understanding why anybody would act in such a way.

Is the lure of a "cheap" trophy so great that some people are willing to forego rational thought and be blinded by B&C points? I guess some people just really have no integrity.

Last year when the Union I was invoved in pushed oboogaboo, I turned in my card and demanded no more dues be taken from my pay as I refuse to support any organization that supports the suppression or rejection of my Constitutional rights.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ridiculous.

If you follow your line of thought to it's logical conclusion then you cannot buy ANY products from the hundreds if not thousands of US companies that do business with or have factories or assembly plants in Mexico. Just so you'll know, that would include Dodge. You don't know anyone who drives a Dodge truck, do you?

I and most rational people will spend my money on hunting or fishing where I find the most opportunity for the buck UNLESS the country is at war with the US.

Look at it the other way, the tens of thousand of Mexicans that have been killed in their drug wars are a direct result of the US's incredibly stupid drug laws.

In fact, NO COUNTRY supports any other country unless that support is seen as being in the best interest of that country.

Personally I like Mexico and Mexicans(obviously with qualifications) and if I had the local knowledge to avoid the hot spots I would go down there again, as I used to do quite often, in a second. I can assure you that all Mexicans don't support their countries gun laws or stance but they are still their citizens.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your input Gato. I value everyone's opinions and refuse to be so pigheaded that I would condemn a friendship due to difference of opinion. By the way nice catch on that SP10 with ammo for $650!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I appreciate your opion. How does it relate to the question I posted?

Real simple, if Mexico had a real democracy and was on the same plane as the U.S. and Canada, there would not be the problems with drugs or the attitude toward firearms ownership.

Most if not all Mexican Nationals I have met, love firearms of any kind, it is the Mexican Government that is the problem.

It is NOT the citizens of Mexico that want to see Americans lose their right to own guns, but the Mexican government/upper class.

Does that meet your criteria?????

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would condemn a friendship due to difference of opinion.

You guys will get over it or one of you two, and apparently that is not you, is a complete dumbass. Two good friends and hunting buddies should know better than to get heated over politics.

I still drink a beer out of that glass he made for me/us that time and think fondly of him and the good times we had.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent posts Gatogordo. tu2 tu2

Many Thanks for the insight and wisdom.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
I appreciate your opion. How does it relate to the question I posted?

Real simple, if Mexico had a real democracy and was on the same plane as the U.S. and Canada, there would not be the problems with drugs or the attitude toward firearms ownership.

Most if not all Mexican Nationals I have met, love firearms of any kind, it is the Mexican Government that is the problem.

It is NOT the citizens of Mexico that want to see Americans lose their right to own guns, but the Mexican government/upper class.

Does that meet your criteria?????

Yes, it does.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:

one of you two, and apparently that is not you, is a complete dumbass.

Two good friends and hunting buddies should know better than to get heated over politics.

I still drink a beer out of that glass he made for me/us that time and think fondly of him and the good times we had.

After a whiney message in my voicemail, I'm certain this will not end well.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still support the USA, but its hard and takes sometimes daily conviction. My fellow citizens are doing and spending more to deprive me of my Second Amendment rights, than any Mexican citizen.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SG Olds:
I still support the USA, but its hard and takes sometimes daily conviction. My fellow citizens are doing and spending more to deprive me of my Second Amendment rights, than any Mexican citizen.

I'm with SG Olds on this one.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
This discussion is not about what US citizens are or not doing. Stick to the posted subject please.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
This discussion is not about what US citizens are or not doing. Stick to the posted subject please.

I think we may be looking at this from different angles. The question is about what US citizens are doing with their money(who they support).

I guess the real question is: why is it wrong to "support" Mexico by spending our hunting dollars there, but it is OK to support the US by spending our hunting dollars here?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To the people-friends of my "friend" that have read this thread, don't like it, and choose not to get involved in the discussion, but are willing to whine to my "friend" about it......either get involved-come here and speak your mind, thats all I ask-or STFU. You have put a strain on our friendship for no good reason.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to thank all those that have had the balls to reply. This isn't an easy topic for many folks out there to discuss.

When I bought my DODGE I don't remember there being any public outcry reported by the media pertaining to lobbying our govt to disarm Americans.

I guess the same could be said for hunting in any of the countries that support the UN's drive to limit firearms ownership in the US.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread is not a personal attack. It is not intended to damage a reputation or insult anyone's intelligence. It is an inquisition of sorts into a topic I do not understand and had not previously been well informed.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By not spending you money there,you do not support their political agendas.Vote with your wallet.Me,I would not go there because it is too dangerous for gringos.All you have to do is be at the wrong place at the wrong time and you are toast and that could be anywhere at any time in Mexico.Anyone who thinks otherwise,my condolences to your family. coffee

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love Mexico but DAMN I hate the politics of that country.

Coruption that makes even the Gov't we have look good.

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed.

We have enough trouble with Mexico being the primary conduit for nearly ONE-HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS A YEAR IN ILLEGAL DRUGS into this country; let alone more than twenty-million illegal immigrants in the US.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote